Taurus recall - any news?

Discussion in 'Firearm's Industry' started by illinoisfisherman, Aug 26, 2017.

1. illinoisfisherman

illinoisfisherman New Member

Hello, this is my first time posting on this forum. I hope you will forgive me for asking a question for my first post.

Has anyone heard anything of the Taurus pistol recall becoming final, or any news at all. We own several of the recalled weapons and are concerned about carrying or even using them.

Thank you for any news or advice.

dango likes this.
  2. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Active Member

I just got a new tarus 9mm. Was not aware of recalls. Maybe check there web site?
    And please stop by the introductions area and introduce yourself. :)

dango likes this.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

4. illinoisfisherman

thank you. I'm still looking for further info. The settlement was approved. We are looking to exchange our guns for "safe" newer generation models. We actually like Taurus firearms. They are not that expensive and mostly shoot well. Great for CC or a truck gun. Will not break the bank to have one secured in every vehicle. Just hate to have a weapon around that has accidental discharge issues.

Don't know my way around here as of yet so direction to the introduction area would be appreciated. Thank you all.

dango likes this.
  5. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

This recall was started in 2015. It was about the gun accidently discharging when dropped? :confused:

dango likes this.
  6. illinoisfisherman

Yes discharging when dropped or when clips were removed or replaced. Multiple accidents and one death that was stated. The exchange of pistols for newer generation safe models was delayed. Our family has several of the defective models and are concerned and are waiting for news to send them back.

dango likes this.
  7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

dango likes this.
  8. Kilibreaux

Kilibreaux New Member

Since Taurus makes more than ONE firearms, a little more SPECIFIC information would have been helpful!

9. JTJ

dango likes this.
  10. Kilibreaux

Kilibreaux New Member

Great...I've owned a Taurus PT-111 since 2000 and it's been a reliable gun to say the least, but then, I've never tried "drop-testing" it. See, I learned a LONG time ago when I carried a 1911 daily....if you don't DROP the thing, it won't go off due to the unlocked firing pin springing forward by inertia! I suspect the same might be true here.

The PT-111 is a DOUBLE-ACTION-ONLY design (at least it was in 2000) and so when "at rest" the striker if FULLY FORWARD - firing pin lock or not. Naturally this makes me curious as to just HOW a DAO pistol with the striker completely UNCOCKED can develop enough force to cause the gun to fire.

These little stories serve to remind me just one more time WHY the Glock system is superior. Even though partially cocked, the sear CANNOT drop out of engagement with the firing pin until the trigger is depressed enough to move the sear past a small ledge. I have noticed other striker designs are not as advanced as the much older Glock system that so many NOWADAYS want to diss....

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Well, again before you get your knickers in a twist, feel free to explore the Internet a bit regarding the Taurus recall, class action suit and the failures that were alleged. It wasn't mearly dropping but jarring, shaking and other disruptions could make them fire.

The models I've see that were affected start with a tensioned striker and then have a double action available to reset the striker if the primer failed. Ever bang a holster into anything? Ever get tackled? Ever get in a car accident while carrying? Ever slip on ice, trip and fall? All of these are real possibilities while carrying. It's not all about dropping the pistol.

Below is from a Brazilian cop. My Portuguese is rusty but I think I get his point. There were problems that needed to be corrected in something someone may consider for serious/duty use.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2fn6GFSwTEw"]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2fn6GFSwTEw[/ame]

12. Kilibreaux

Kilibreaux New Member

I highly doubt my "knickers" are likely to go into a "twist" over some internet forum post.

The bottom line is, MOST who handle firearms today are somewhere between incompetent and borderline incompetent, so any and ALL "stories" about negligent and inadvertent, and accidental discharges are rightfully met with skepticism by those with just a tad more actual hands on experience when it comes to the actual inner workings of guns.

My statements SPECIFIC to the 2000 model of the PT-111 are valid...regardless of whether YOU have any personal knowledge of the subject matter, which clearly you do not.

The entire POINT of the DAO striker system was from DAY ONE about "advertising" a fully SAFE pistol because the striker is completely "unloaded" until the trigger is drawn far enough to the rear to compress the striker spring. Like...duh...

So my "knickers" are by no means twisted or likely to twist on this issue.

In MY experience, unannounced firearms discharges are almost ALWAYS the result of the GOOB holding the gun, who of course THEN tells any lie, any "story" to maintain it was the mechanical device and NOT his ham-fisted grip and scaredy-cat trigger finger sousing down on the trigger!

By now one would think most people would have figured out that just because someone chose to become a police officer when they graduated high school, such decision did NOT result in their automatic promotion to "firearms expert" and in fact many people who choose another career path are fully capable of becoming "experts" in the field of firearms....including those who served a decade in the United States Army and served in combat. But then, Americans don't wear "knickers"...whatEVER a "knicker" is. We have a candy bar called a SNICKERS...and a MARS bar, and 3 Musketeers, and Baby Ruth, and Mounds, and Almond Joy, and Payday, and Hershey, and Hershey's with Almonds, Kit-Kat, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Butterfingers, Rolos, and Hershey's Krackle! But we do NOT have a "Knickers" bar. Sounds like something 3 year old's would say.

13. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

The Brazilian cop in the video showed several times a handgun firing just by being shaken. He showed that this could happen either with the safety off or the safety on. What part of this video illustrated "incompetent"? The gun was not dropped. All 4 fingers and the thumb were clearly visible below the trigger guard. Looks to me like the bottom line is that there is at least one of these guns that is malfunctioning in a repeatable way consistent with the reports.

14. JTJ

My problems with Taurus was getting them to shoot. I got rid of the 4 I owned years ago and will never buy another. The only time customer service came through was when the frame broke and they had to replace the pistol.

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I had a Millennium Pro. Mine would not go off when I pulled the trigger. Maybe I should have tried dropping it? I won't buy another Taurus.

16. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

i take offense with that statement that MOST who handle firearms are incompetent to borderline incompetent. that painting with a very broad brush and i venture to guess quite inaccurate. are there those who handle firearms in a less than safe manner and have negligent discharges? absolutely! but to say MOST is quite unfair, and very misleading, that is unless you have some sort of proof or evidence to back up that claim.

Knickers? where have you been for the last one hundred years? it's a British term for underwear! commonly now in use in American slang for panties, drawers or underpants!

and not everyone assumes that just because a person chooses a career in law enforcement automatically makes them a firearms expert. just as i don't assume because someone served in the armed forces, does that make them a firearms expert either.

17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Grow up children , whining is not needed . Want to know about an now old recall go to Taurus or search google for Taurus recalls .

18. JTJ

This is a CYA video.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2gWCW_I448[/ame]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017