Taurus PT945 halfcock carry?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by SpaceCowby43, Mar 24, 2012.

1. SpaceCowby43

SpaceCowby43 New Member

I have always carried my concealed Taurus PT945 in the hammer down safety on position. Recently, after some time specificly working on my clear and draw from concealment, I found that carrying the gun in the halfcock safety off position was a great boon in bring it into action for me. It appears to be a safe way to carry but I was wondering if anyone else had any firsthand knowledge on this carry style with the PT945.

2. lilrichthedragon

lilrichthedragon New Member

Yes I do. The hard trigger pull is a good safety to keep it from a accidental firing. I do carry that way as much as I used to due to an incident with a hi point 45 where I could have accidentally shot myself. Scared the **** outta me

3. lilrichthedragon

I still carry half cocked though because looking a real world situations like the Colorado incident

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

One rule is to keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

How do you get it to half cock without pulling the trigger?
    IMO, that is a negligent discharge waiting to happen when a finger slips.

5. lilrichthedragon

If there was someone in there conceal carrying they would probably only have a sec to return fire and racking the slide might have been a sec to long. I've been very happy with my Taurus except that the rear sight was off to the left a little but a punch and hammer fixed that now so I have no complaints. Got a nice iwb holster and 2 10 round clips as well as my 2 8 round factory clips. I hate how people continually dis Taurus even though there safety surpasses there oh so treasured glocks. I have had (knock on wood) no a single misfire ftf or fte with this beautiful 45. I have nothing against any otger

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

From the owner's manual:
    4. On some semi-automatic pistols it is possible to lower the hammer to a
    “half-cock” position. This position is the intercept notch.
    WARNING: DO NOT USE THIS INTERCEPT NOTCH OR HALF COCK
    POSITION AS A SAFETY DEVICE. DO NOT CARRY THE FIREARM AT
    ANYTIME IN THE HALF COCK POSITION. It is not designed or suitable
    for that purpose. The “half cock” or intercept notch serves only to prevent
    unintended firing in case of internal malfunction or in case your thumb
    slips off the hammer during manual cocking or decocking.
    WARNING: TO PREVENT ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE, it is absolutely
    essential to USE THE MANUAL SAFETY. NEVER CARRY THE PISTOL
    IN THE COCKED OR HALF COCKED POSITION AT ANYTIME.

http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/pistol_manual.pdf

7. lilrichthedragon

That's true as a safety precaution. I believe its more of a liability issue so they can say we told you so if were to take them to court over an accidental firing. I rarely if ever walk around with a loaded gun. That's just me. I don't load my s&w m19 until im ready to fire it. I learned my lesson when I had a hi point 45. It was my pistol and I was comfortable with price range. 2 months after I got it I had it loaded and fired one shot and put the safety on. It went off still. Bent the safety back and everything. I fixed it and tried to continue to use it. If I loaded it slow it was my ok but if I tried racking it it went off. Sometimes when I fired it it would double and triple fire. Finally got rid of it. I was very accurate but soooo unsafe

8. lilrichthedragon

I said all that about the other pistol to prove a point. I have been in unsafe situations. I put this Taurus thru alot of safety test and it has done wonderful. Regardless no safety is more failsafe than the one between your ears. I never point a gun in a direction im not willing to destroy. Plus I would imagine a 45 would hurt like he'll even in the foot. Be safe everyone and wear ear protection. My ears ring constantly from me not wearing any

9. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

It's real easy to draw a gun with your finger off the trigger in practice. In SD situation it won't be so easy. Especially if the bad guy grabs for your gun. If you practice there is no difference between half-cocked and not cocked. You just pull the trigger back! If you experience difficulty you need to cock the gun while relaxing until it is easy. or buy a tennis ball.

10. lilrichthedragon

If you experience difficulty you need to cock the gun while relaxing until it is easy. or buy a tennis ball.[/QUOTE

Wow lol

11. SpaceCowby43

SpaceCowby43 New Member

Taking the hammer to half-cock by using decocking lever

You don't have to have your finger on the trigger to drop the hammer to the half- cock position on the PT945. Depressing the decocking lever safely releases the hammer to that position.
    I realize that Taurus doesn't recommend carrying it that way but it seems more safe to me than carrying with the hammer fully released and laying on the firing pin. There may be a built in safety to insure that the gun doesn't fire if you drop it on the hammer in the fully released position but I don't know that for sure and don't like taking the chance. Carrying uncocked with the safety engaged is not efficient. It can be done and done well if you practice enough but so can any draw. Carrying fully cocked with the safety on doesn't work for me either. It may be the way it is designed to carry but I never could. It also concerned me that trash could get in there a block the hammer. This could happen at half-cock too but the opening is much smaller.
    Carrying in the half-cock position seems to be working best me and I guess I will continue until I run across a good reason not to.
    Thanks for taking the time to look up the manuals warning on this.

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I would carry decocked or "half-cocked" with safety on with a SA/DA. I believe this was the way they were designed and intended to be, and aside from uncocked would be best.

I don't know how you carry, if in waist then I understand not wanting to carry uncocked, as a fall on the hammer would sacre the pissandvinegar outta me too. For me I pocket carry and do so uncocked. I wear straight legged jeans and there's no way anything comes out of my pockets without my forcing it to do so.

13. SpaceCowby43

SpaceCowby43 New Member

Safariland paddle holster under my shirt.

I carry mine half-cocked safefy off in a snap top safariland paddle holster under my Hawaian style shirts. It rides a little higher than I prefer and is canted forward more than I like but it is a fair trade off for concealability of a full size 45. Carrying like this doesn't give me the first shot pull of a Glock or an XD but the second round is completly single action and so is the first shot if I have the luxury of an extra second to cock the hammer.
    I have better quality carry guns but this PT945 has never failed me in any situation and I have complete confidence in it. That's a big part of concealed carry for me.

That said, I have just developed a problem with the aftermarket ProMag clips I sometimes use when practicing. For some reason every time I fire a round with one of these clips in the mag well.....the clip falls out of the gun. EVERY SINGLE TIME. No problems at all with factory mags, Just the 10 round extended ProMag clips. The problem almost has to be with the gun as I have used these ProMag clips off and on for years with no problems. Can't believe every one of them developed this problem at the same time.
    Anyone have any insights or experience with this problem?

14. lilrichthedragon

Fyi it is the mag not the gun. You need to file the hole that the mag release grabs and it will not fall. Ps make sure to make the hole taller but stay filing the top of the hole otherwise the slide will lock everytime it goes off due to mag being to high. Remember to file a little at a time. Like all fitting you can always take more off but you can't put it back. I got a barsony iwb holster and I love it. Tried to get the king tuk but not available for that model. If you have any questions about your mags let me know

Attached Files:

15. lilrichthedragon

Believe it or not a good chainsaw file works best

16. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

Honestly I think training to fire out of double action would be more efficient and safer. Just my opinion though.

17. lilrichthedragon

It is but its slower. Your already having to draw and aim. Depending on holster setup that can ether be a pain or a blessing

18. dallascj

dallascj New Member

On my 945, the decocker drops the hammer to the half-cock position. There is no other way to chamber a round and lower the hammer unless you want to pull the trigger and drop the hammer, which is stupid when the decocker feature is built into the gun. That is essentially what SpaceCowby said.