Taurus PT92-AF

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by Wheelspin, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Wheelspin

Wheelspin New Member

I picked up a used PT92 at the Indy 1500 gun show last weekend so I've been itching to get down the range to try it out, and this afternoon I did.

Like I said it was used, and just came with the one magazine, no box or manual but I got it for a good deal and after today's range trip I'm more than happy with my purchase. I'd shot a friends Beretta 92FS before and loved the feel of the gun but even used they were a bit rich for me right now but having fired both I don't feel as if I scrimped and went for a lesser weapon. I put nearly 150 rounds through it this afternoon with zero problems of any kind, need to grab a few different brands of ammo just to try other options and get some more practice in. A couple more magazines and a mag loader wouldn't go amiss either :D

I love just how easy the Taurus is to strip to cleaning which is my next job, a good clean and oil job.

I was shooting a little way back from the 15ft line and my best 5 shot group was 1 1/2". The rest were anywhere from 2 1/2 to 4" so I know I need to get more range time in but this will be my home defense weapon as well as range piece so I want to know it inside and out and feel 100% comfortable with it. As it stands now though any of the shots I fired today would have hit a bad guy where it counts so I know I'm off to a good start.

I've read alot of good and bad things about the Taurus but so far I'm a very happy PT92 owner!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. collegekid20

collegekid20 New Member

looks like a clean piece. whats the mag capacity?

3. signofbarsoom

signofbarsoom New Member

I'm glad to hear about your experience. Ive been looking at this hand gun and have heard some good stuff about the Taurus model.

4. Wheelspin

Wheelspin New Member

The mag capacity is 17 but I was stopping at 15, it's still tight and a struggle to get the last couple in as it is.

5. Deadman1

Deadman1 New Member

Nice looking piece. Around here I see used Taurus PT92's for sale regularly at local shops and they are always priced within $50 of a used Beretta 92. Folks seem to really like the gun. ;)

How do you like the Sellier & Bellot ammo? I've got four boxes of .45 Auto FMJ I got cheap and was wondering how it runs. Seems like most of the ammo I pickup lately is so dirty I hate to shoot it.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Congrats on your new pistol. I like those S&B rounds a lot too. they are a little hot and usually really accurate. Hard to beat the price on them too.

7. Wheelspin

Wheelspin New Member

I found the S&B rounds nice and smooth, recoil was nothing but then again I was expecting much from a 9mm. They were all clean and fed fine.

The other rounds I was shooting was some hand loaded 115gr that I also picked up at the show. I don't know what the specs were etc but they shot fine but the S&B's seemed a bit more accurate, to me inexperienced hands anyway :p

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

When did Taurus start frame mounting the safety?? I like that MUCH better than the Beretta's slide mounted one.

Good looking piece. Sounds like you are happy and if those groups are an indication, you can shoot her well too. :D

Congrats on the new addition.

JD

9. kcolg

kcolg New Member

Wheelspin, those Taurus PT 92`s are supposed to be very good guns.
    When Beretta won the Brazilian Army contract for suppliying them with Beretta's 92's, one condition was that they would be made in Brazil by Beretta, so after this was done Beretta sold their machinery to Taurus,so they say they are very similar in quality to the original Beretta 92`s but a at a lower price.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Might have been as early as 1997. I believe that the current PT92 also has a 3 position safety with a decocker that is independent of the safe setting, unlike the 92FS that decocks and safes the weapon simultaneously.

11. Wheelspin

Wheelspin New Member

Yeah, mine has the 3 position safety. Up is safe, down is fire or push the lever all the way down and it decocks and lowers the hammer. The slide is nice to pull back for cocking with the safety on the frame, the one thing that wasn't as comfortable when shooting my friends Beretta 92FS. Not a big deal I guess but I do prefer how Taurus has it over the two.

The only issue with the frame mounted safety though is I have to check first when I order some new grips that they will be compatible. I'm liking the Hogue rubber replacements but their website isn't the best for showing whats what. They have the wood or aluminium with or without the decocking space needed but it doesn't show the rubber ones too well. Anyone here tried them or recommend any other rubber grips on the Taurus?

12. DrShok

DrShok New Member

13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I had one years ago w/ wood grips. Standard mag was 15, after market were 18. Get gun! After about 8000 rounds I noticed the frame was being peaned. Noting major, but still. I sold it. Bought a Wilson, used, for $20.00 more. Still have the Wilson 18 years later. I liked the Taurus over the Beretta. Yes I know how the Brasilian gov't screwed Beretta, but it was better overall.

14. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

My PT92AFS dates pre Clinton ban era. Stainless 15+1.

I bought it new. I've run 19,000+ thru:eek: it. Everything from hand rolled to military to +p+ defense ammo. Only had a few ftf when new due to limp wristing.

It is accurate, does not fail. Best $426 new gun I've ever bought.

15. muddigger70

muddigger70 New Member

As far as I know the Beretta($600) and the Taurus($500) are made in the same factory,and are pretty much the same gun,but the Taurus is 100 bucks cheaper,I have owned both guns,and for 100 bucks cheaper,I'd take the Taurus 99/100 times!!!!!!!!!

16. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Nope.

Taurus=Brazil
    Beretta=Italy or USA,

17. muddigger70

muddigger70 New Member

You are right,in 1980 Beretta sold their entire facility in Brazil to Taurus, including all technical data, tooling and machinery.