Taurus PT709 Slim review.

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by afi1, Sep 29, 2010.

1. afi1

afi1 New Member

Here is a brief review of my new Taurus PT709 Slim. I picked up the pistol as a carry piece for shorts/t-shirt type weather, and as a backup all other times. I got it at a gun store just outside of Ft. Stewart for $380. It’s called the “Bulldog Kit.” It came with a soft-ish case, POS soft holster, two 7rd magazines, a bore brush and a very nice manual. I took it out today and got the adjustable 3 dot sights lined up at 25 yards, then moved in for various drills. I was using Winchester white box. I fired moving forward, backward, side stepping, doping to a knee, rushing forward and backward in diagonals ect. I also practiced my speed reloads from my front pocket where I’ll most likely carry my spare. The mags drop free nicely, and the fresh ones seat very well with a reassuring “click.” The mag well is beveled just enough so you don’t have to fumble around. I do have to shift my grip to send a fresh mag home, because the frame is so small, but it’s not extreme. The mag release is a little small, but easy to find quickly, in my case with my shooting hand middle finger(I shoot left handed). The gun also has an external safety, but I can’t get it off consistently left handed, so I’ll carry with it off. The trigger has a good amount of take up, but once you figure it out it’s all good. Once the slack is up, the trigger is firm, but breaks nicely. Reset is short and easily felt, with minimal slack afterward. I burned through 200 rounds of the WWB, and a mag worth of Cor-Bon Pow’r’Ball. I experienced no malfunctions what so ever. Accuracy is good, even out to 25 yards, and recoil is manageable. I’ll be stippling the grip a little to help keep it secure in less than ideal conditions. I also need to find a good IWB holster for it, or maybe try out a Clip Draw on it. Other than that though, it’s good to go. Here are a few pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I'll bet you I shop at that same store just outside Ft Stewart...:D

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations and thanks for a great report. :cool:

4. afi1

afi1 New Member

Here's the stipple job. I also found out that the mag release is reversable, it was a pain though.
    [​IMG]

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I'll assume it was 100% reliable?

6. FreedomFighter69

FreedomFighter69 New Member

I Like That !

Very Nice ! I almost bought one of them in 40 S&W but went home with the new Millennium instead. Im a pretty big guy and the Millennium wasn't much bigger and held 10 + 1 . I still may get the slim in 9mm one day though.
    Good Luck with your new Watch !

7. afi1

afi1 New Member

Watch? Did I miss something? And I too considered the .40. My Glock's are all .40s, so I figured it'd work out well. Having fired the 9mm though, I'm glad I didn't. I think the .40 would be too snapy for quick shots in a pistol this small.

8. afi1

afi1 New Member

"I experienced no malfunctions what so ever."

9. hnealg

hnealg New Member

holsters for 709

I carry the 709 a lot. Finding holsters made specifically for it is difficult so far but check out holsters made for the Glock. The 709 is thinner than the Glock but the general layout is very, very similar. A deeper leather holsters will work well. I got a Crossbreed for mine and I love it!

Also, the safety/decocker can be used to decock the striker and thus put the Slim into double action mode, which lengthens the trigger pull for additional safety. That and using the best safety--your brain, will do until someone comes up with an ambi- decocker/safety.

10. sandman3511

sandman3511 New Member

for a better grip on your slim you might want to put some mag extensions. i bought 2 for my slim9 mags on Amazon for aboout 8.00 each. i just checked and found they are 7.62 and in stock on Amazon. they really helped your hold on the slim9

sandman

11. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Looks a lot like the Kel tec PF9 which I carry at lot. But one thing I do notice is the larger trigger housing on the Taurus which makes it easier to get your finger on the trigger. I think trigger travel on both guns are about the same. The trigger housing on the Taurus would wins me over. Nice gun.

12. Native

Native New Member

Very nice and good for you on having such a sweet pistol. I own two. A pt 908 and a pt 140 Millennium. The 908 was my first purchase when buying at 18 and walking out with it in a couple of hours was still possible. That makes it at least 32 years old and it still looks like it did the day I bought it except I airbrushed the grips to be pearl white with dragon profiles to match on each side. I've already been warned by by daughter that when she turns 21, is able to get her CCL and is in need of a pistol, that on is hers. (as long as it stays in the family) The Millennium 140 (40cal.) has about the same grip size at the 908. Pretty much a copy of the Glock 23 but built with metal and a safety. I like the size to fit in the back of my pants and the caliber to knock someone on their ass. I think It's going to be as nice as the 908. Just got it last week and need to get it to the range. I really dig your pistol. Coming from a Taurus fan and just my 2 cents. Sweet machine.