Taurus Polymer Public Defender?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by skylarlaham, Aug 27, 2010.

1. skylarlaham

skylarlaham New Member

Hey guys, I haven't posted on here in a good while, but I just wanted to know what you think of this gun.
    Taurus International Manufacturing Inc
    So what do you think? Good for concealed carry, too big? Good self defense fun? Perhaps back up gun for officers?
    Thanks, Skylar.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

It's polymer and a Taurus. Personally, I wouldn't take one for free. The Judge itself has had a number of reported problems - so a polymer Judge - no thanks...

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

What he said ^^^^^^

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I wasn't thinking about it at all.
    New model firearms are kind of like cars. The knowledgeable, informed, experienced individual lets the other people buy the first year's models.
    Then makes a decision based on reports.

What do you think of it?

5. skylarlaham

skylarlaham New Member

I think it looks AWESOME!! And I like the whole .410 deal, but I wasn't sure whether or not to get it as my first gun. Thats why I was asking you guys...
    I was looking for something reaaally fun, have a cool factor, pretty cheap, and hopefully pretty accurate.
    Iv'e been to the range quite a few times and am thinking about getting a revolver of my own. Kick really isn't an issue, what do you guys think?..

6. MB44

MB44 New Member

Looks like something taken out the movie "Blade Runner", but unless you have ambitions to act in a Sci-Fi movie with it, it has in my opinion no practical application apart from being a snake-gun. That however doesn't mean I wouldn't own one,... something about it looks oddly cool,.... then again I like polymer guns and revolvers, so I guess this is right up my alley

Call me crazy allright,...

7. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

You want something to carry, shoots .45s and has a 3 more rounds capacity and steel...just get one of these. It's a Taurus, with a proven track record and those who own one are generally satisfied with it as well. ;)

[​IMG]

8. skylarlaham

skylarlaham New Member

I think they look cool too man Lol! But yea, Iv'e heard that its just a snake gun too... Awww man :(

Yea thats cool, but I'm more of a Revolver guy.. Also, ideally the gun could be a back up gun for officers too, because in a little less then a year I'm gonna try to be a California Highway patrol officer :D

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

^ Ruger LCR 357 mag

Best DA trigger out there!

10. orangello

orangello New Member

When they say "lifetime warranty", do they mean "life of the buyer" or "life of the firearm", because that looks like a way to shorten both.

You seriously want this for your first handgun? Have you tried something more mainstream/sane, like an XDm9 or an itty bitty Kahr PM9? Some ranges rent guns for you to try out; i doubt a plastic .410/45lc will be one of them.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  11. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

If you want a wheel gun concealable BUG, then that right there is the golden ticket. :cool:

12. skylarlaham

skylarlaham New Member

That looks pretty cool! So would you say thats one of the best revolvers for officers?
    Thanks so much for the advice guys :D

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

What the department you're hired at suggests. (if they even suggest revolvers.)
    IMO, you could not do wrong buying a used, quality 4" barrel in .357Magnum. Practice with .38spl ammo. It may not be exotic, futuristic, "amaze the guys at the range" thing, but it works and will teach you a lot.

14. skylarlaham

skylarlaham New Member

Thanks for clearing that up man :)

15. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I have seen the standard Taurus series of Judge guns already lock-up when firing standard ammo. When the gun "locks up" you are done shooting, until you get the cylinder to release, or in other words you are dead now. My my, but don't that gun make the Ruger LCR look pretty!

16. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I'm surprised that more folks haven't chimed in to suggest the classic answer to ANY "What should be my first handgun" question. Especially since this fellow is fond of Revolvers and an adult. (obviously young shooter begin with rim-fires)

Your first handgun should be something you never part with. Something that holds true sentimental value. Something that can be used for many different applications, until you can afford yourself a second handgun that may fill your other personal defense or sporting needs.

So . . . being that you like Revolvers (I'm a wheel-gun type of guy as well. :)) GET A .357!!!

Cane's suggestion of the LCR in .357 is great for concealed carry/BUG, but if you want an all around shooter, woods gun, truck gun, defender of 2 and 4 legged threatening creatures and something that will last a lifetime of use and you'll still have to pass it on to your children, BUY A RUGER OR SMITH AND WESSON revolver!

In my opinion the most logical suggestions are:

- The GP100 4" It is built as solid as can be and can withstand any type of load you put in it. They shoot great and can be found in the $400 range used, in good condition

- Any Smith and Wesson .357 they are abundant on used market as well and can be had in many different flavors. They have better triggers than the Rugers, but can't take quite as much abuse.

Those are really what you want in a first gun, you won't regret it!

Good Luck!

17. skylarlaham

skylarlaham New Member

Thanks man, this got through to me on a more personal and and sentimental level.

18. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Right on brother. It was straight from the heart. . .

19. MB44

MB44 New Member

I'd go as far and say that ANYBODY starting to shoot handguns should start with rim-fire. I fell into the "I wanna have a gun that looks cool as my first gun" trap, and I have been correcting my errors since then. So in this case a S&W/Ruger .22LR caliber would be recommenable. The bottom line is with this setup you can shoot a lot (in terms of cost), i.e. practice a lot....

20. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I would agree, IF and only if this gentleman could afford a .22 in conjunction with a "defensive" caliber.

I've shot with adult females that had never shot before. I started them out on .22s, but in that same range session had them shooting .38s and even .357s in out of a 3" Ruger. I still practice with .22s in similar platforms to my defensive weapons.

I'm confident an adult can learn to shoot with a .357 loaded down to .38s.