Taurus or Springfield Armory?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Duck4Glocks, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

Im kind of in a dilemma. I have a Taurus 1911 on layaway but I am drawn between it an the Springfield parkarized mil spec 1911. The LGS doesn't not have any SA's in except a commander type but I want a full size 1911. I mainly put the taurus on layaway because of the extras for the price and to get some money put down for a 1911. The LGS will let me transfer the amount I have paid on one gun if I feel I want to change what I want. The Springfield is a little more expensive at my LGS but I am only contemplating the Taurus because of the extras it comes with for the price. I've been doing a lot of research on the Taurus and have seen good and bad reviews. It seems Taurus has an issue with quality control.

I've search through this forum for the last week and have gotten some info out of Springfield but not a lot from Taurus. The only problem with Springfield 1911 is that my LGS get them in pretty randomly with few and far between. Now I am on a waiting list for the SA but I'm still pretty drawn between the two.

I will carry the 1911 occasionally but I mainly carry concealed a G23 and if I carry the 1911 it will be an open carry.

I will never buy a polymer Taurus handgun simply because of the issues they have. But 1911's have been around for a while and I didn't know if Taurus could drew something up that has been produced for a 100 years.

I would love some input from you guys and gals on this matter. Don't worry about my feeling because I don't own either yet. I do however need to stay under $725 or so because of what I can afford to put down every month.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2012
  2. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Without question, I would get a Springfield over a Taurus every time. I love my loaded model and I would say it's worth every penny. I'm not going to call Taurus a horrible firearm, but they're customer service is a joke. That alone is enough to avoid them like the plague.

3. levelcross

levelcross New Member

A good LGS will find you what you want pretty fast. The SA mil spec should not be a problem to find at all and around $700-800 if I remember correctly. Give them a couple of weeks to find you one and if not see if they will refund your deposit and try another LGS.

Between the two I like the SA better for a couple of reasons, but that is just my opinion.

4. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Don't own either one but would go with SA everytime based on the opinions I see on all the gun forums I visit.

5. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

Lol ^^^ that says it all.

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Go with the SA, essay!

7. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Please do yourself a favor and get the SA. Taurus is junk in my opinion. The SA guns are what lots of your top gunsmiths prefer to do builds on. Well that and Colts.

8. JoshH

JoshH New Member

Get a bare bones Springfield and shoot the crap out of it! Something like this one will do just fine...

Attached Files:

9. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

Obviously Springfield over Taurus but for someone to walk in here and call them junk is just plain stupid. Kimber also has a bad rep in this forum too which is kinda funny to me since Kimber produces some of the finest handguns made. I personally would think that a bunch of folks who profess to know so much about 1911's could just write Taurus and tell them what they are doing wrong.

10. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

It's just personal opinion. That is what this forum is about. It is also what the OP asked for in his opening post.
    I can tell you that it is also not just here too (the Taurus opinions - not talking about Kimber). I have personally experienced folks that shoot in all walks in everyday life that have the same opinion of Taurus. I have never owned one, so I cannot speak to whether this is right or not - just saying that it is a rather "common" thing in my opinion.
    If Taurus the company is selling guns and making a profit (which they are) then I doubt that they really care to hear these opinions.
    Just my .02 cents.....

11. cuba

cuba New Member

12. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

I have both guns in 45 acp. The Taurus looks good and shoots ok. But my mil spec springfield with Wilson combat sights now that's the ticket. Great shooting and just has a great feel to it. I'd take it over my Taurus any and every day. Now this is just my thoughts but I take them both to the range together and just enjoy the springer alot more.

image-892115673.jpg
    :/

image-697810180.jpg
    :)

play the victim, be the victim

13. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

Some good views and not much different from what I've read on other forums just doing research. So the taurus is out for my first 1911.

I've done some research on Rock Island Armory 1911 and there are some mixed reviews. Seems more like there are just a few lemons made here and there. RIA is one I'm also considering if I can't find a Springfield mil spec.

But what are some opinions on the new Auto ordinance 1911s. I looked at one today and it seemed it was right up there with RIA's. The guy at the LGS told me that they are now owned by kahr. Does anyone know about these?

14. GunSavvyTeen

GunSavvyTeen New Member

Yes, Kahr recently purchased both Auto Ordanance and Thompson Arms. Like any company, again, mixed reviews. I might choose the Rock Island just because they seem to be made well and I haven't heard anything negative so far. Even though they wee not made in America.

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I think, IMHO, your statement is far more STUPID than limbkiller's because he qualified his comment as opposed to your flat statement of "plain stupid".

And why didn't you call me out on my post?

I have spent years listening to Taurus sob stories AND "I love them" comments. Trust me, the sob stories far outnumber the fan boys by a magnitude.

The members come here for information. It's my job to make sure that this knowledge transfer reflects the FTF established knowledge base.

IN MY OPINION, Taurus is just short of junk. When they drop to junk level, they will go out of business. The only Taurus selling point I ever hear about is their price. I think this reinforces the old saying, "You get what you pay for!"

You Taurus supporters must be exhausted. I think a more efficient use of the energy used defending them would be better spent calling/writing/emailing Taurus to clean up their reputation.

I will never own/recommend a Taurus. There are far better firearm options available to our members. I refuse to participate in a purchase lottery that may result in a failure at the moment of zero defect tolerances. (read: A PD action)

16. 44ablast

44ablast New Member

17. cuba

cuba New Member

I don't think that the second largest gun manufacturer in the world is going to go out of business, just because you say so doesn't make it so!!!!!!.

I've put 18K rounds through my PT 1911 with out a break in period or any FTF or FTE, I don't have one of those high priced 1911 model but I can't see where those can do anything better then mine, it is a 1911.

And also pretty if I say so myself

[​IMG]

I might be collecting stamps but at least I'm not a Taurus snob

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

And another purchase lottery winner.

19. cuba

cuba New Member

real condescending, act like a moderator will you