Taurus Millenium Pro

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by lonewolf101, Jun 30, 2011.

1. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

What do you people think about thoes guns? I was thinking about buying one in .45 auto.

Attached Files:

• 45.jpg
      45.jpg
      File size:
      18.8 KB
      Views:
  2. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

My dislike of Taurus is no secret. Honestly, if someone GAVE me a new Taurus, I would not keep it . One only need look at many guns on the store shelves. The quality on many of them is horrendous. One only also need look on the various forums. A high percentage of them have problems straight out of the box, or on the first range trip.

I realize that human nature is to complain instead of praise... But, the % of complaints (on all the various gun forums) about Taurus against other brands of guns doesn't even compare. And the stories of dealing with their customer service are maddening. Sometimes they send guns back MULTIPLE times without doing ANYTHING. I've seen some threads go for 18 months, where a person goes thru the Taurus "experience" in getting their gun fixed. It's just ridiculous...

I didn't start saving Taurus threads until a few months ago - so, unfortunately, I don't have some of the more depressing stories I have read. But here are a few:

Taurus Customer Service (TCP 738))

New Clarity on Taurus TCP problem.

Taurus Buyer Be Warned - Glock Talk

Error

Taurus Disappointment - TheFiringLine Forums

Taurus 709 slim fail. help me find a new 9mm carry pistol. - AR15.COM

Another 709 slim fails.. - AR15.COM

Taurus semi-auto Quality Control going to crap? - Glock Talk

Taurus 709- Problems - THR

Bought a Taurus M44, took it home, broken right out of the box! - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

Taurus Buyer Be Warned - THR

Taurus Quality: Objective Opinions...? - TheFiringLine Forums

Just bought a Taurus 85 and Im having a problem - TheFiringLine Forums

Taurus Run-Around - TheFiringLine Forums

taurus repair turnaround time?? anyone.. - TheFiringLine Forums

Taurus 709 Slim....FTEs galore!...help!! - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

Taurus Frustration and Venting

Not a good showing for the Taurus 709 Slim. - TheFiringLine Forums

My Taurus 709 slim review... - TheFiringLine Forums

Taurus Warranty Work? - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

Are realy Taurus gun not reliable? - TheFiringLine Forums

Here We Go Again Taurus - TheFiringLine Forums

Taurus Question - TheFiringLine Forums

Taurus 738 - TheFiringLine Forums

Taurus 24/7 Full Size Pistol Reviews Forum and Reference Guide

My3cents.com - Taurus Gun Repair Complaint - Warranty Repair -p Taurus 444 Pistol

Taurus changed my mind

Taurus changed my mind - Page 3 - TheFiringLine Forums (see post #51)

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I personally didn't care for the one I had, but I know a guy who likes his a lot.

4. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I have 3 Taurus's 1 revolver a pt1911 and a milenium pro in 40 s&w no problems with any of them. I think there are to many gun snobs in the world. Anyone who likes a glock and hates someone elses plastic gun makes no sense to me. It's all plastic and bad triggers. All the same. I know people with high dollar 1911's that don't function as well as my pt1911 and they sure aren't anymore accurate.

I've seen all manufacturers with problems. Hell I even saw a ruger blackhawk blow up and no it wasn't a hot load. I still like the rugers I own.

5. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

I never said EVERY Taurus is a problem. But, I'm on a LOT of gun forums. And, the Taurus stories are just ridiculous. There's no other way to put it. Plus, I've seen some gun stores refuse to even carry Taurus, as the returns just got to be too high. Overall, they seem to have one of the highest problem rates. And, if you need customer service, god help you.

Have your own opinion - nothing wrong with that. But, I've seen too many gun newbies get sucked in by taurus and regret it.

I think your life may be worth spending the extra $100 now, instead of rolling the dice and HOPING that you get one of the Taurus guns with no problems.

6. CPO15

CPO15 New Member

Shipwreck pretty much covered it. Had one, hated its functioning (or lack thereof) and traded it. I read the complaints before I purchased the gun and figured I might be lucky enough to get a good one; fail.

7. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

The reason I was looking at Taurus is because years ago I have one model 66 .357 mag. it was ok I had no problems with it.The price caught my eye 419.99 I also looked at the Springfield xd4 .45 with that one I would get 2 spare mags.&holster for about 100 more and a better rep.This gun is just going to be a back up when I go into the woods you never know what you run into!. Thanks for the feed back guys

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

The XD is TEN times better, spend the extra $$$. You won't regret it!

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well I can honestly say my two Tauruses have had absolutely no problems but I know others have. My M85 38 Special bought second hand in the early 1990s still gets a fair amount of use and always goes bang.

So does the 9mm PT111 Millennium Pro I bought in 2006. I will say I was worried about Taurus quality when I bought it because of all the negative reviews online. But in the gun shop I field stripped it and couldn't see any obvious problems. The price was right so I went with my gut feeling. To this day that little gun impresses me, it worked from day one with all ammo except some crappy reloads that gave me trouble in other guns. I never use +P+ so can't say if the gun can handle the real hot stuff but does all right with light to pretty warm loads.

My Millennium Pro is basically a poor man's Glock but with a true DAO trigger. I can't say how it would handle 45ACP, that might be a little too much for this little gun, I just don't know. Doesn't sound like you'll be beating it to death though. At $420 you might want to look also at a baby Glock 30 or 36 for a few bucks more. Good luck Lonewolf and let us know how it goes no matter what you get.

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I look at Taurus like this:

If you buy a Taurus, there's a pretty good chance that you're going to end up with a good gun at a competitive price.

Unfortunately, there's also an unacceptably high chance that you're going to end up with a lemon. How high is "unacceptably high"? I have no idea on the specifics. Maybe it's 5% and maybe it's 25%. Parlay that with the volume sitting on shelves across the country, and recovering a fair amount of your money can also be difficult should you choose to resell a Taurus.

There are plenty of good Taurii out there, and many Taurus shooters that have good reason to be happy with their guns and the price paid for them. And it's true, there are plenty of "gun snobs" to be found. But Taurus has earned their reputation on their own, and it seems most prevalent among their polymer autoloaders. I know a lot of people have been quite happy with the 1911s and Beretta 92 clones.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

I don't own a Taurus, BUT my nephew and his dad each have a Taurus revolver that they like (raging bull .44 & a .357 tracker). The nephew is actually wanting to sell his Ruger Redhawk .44 to get another Taurus .44 revolver (i have called dibs). From what i've heard, their revolvers are better than their semi's, but that is all heresay.

I have an XD45 with the 5" geezer barrel. I love it, and it feels quality. I would buy it again. $100 difference is only a few boxes of range ammo; i would get the XD. Be wary of the "holster" though; my buddy's XD9 "holster" had some sand or something in it that put a scratch on his slide day 1. I also find the XD grip safety comforting for some reason.

12. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

You probley right about buying the xd and not the Taurus

13. orangello

orangello New Member

Way to be sure is to do a side by side comparison. Are there any ranges in your area that rent pistols out?

You can check here for ranges: Where To Shoot | Home

Either way, i looooove the .45acp; it's doesn't so much kick as push, especially with a full mag.

14. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I could do without the Taurus. The XD is alright. Try them out and see what you think, which is more important than what we think.
    Maybe look into an M&P. But that's just me. I couldn't tell you what to do.:D
    [​IMG]

15. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

I like my PT-745. Eats all ammo without a burp. My 24/7c in 9mm is compact enough to carry, and really accurate. It also eats all the ammo I can feed it. My PT-101 in .40 is super accurate, but heavy and qualifies as a house gun or truck gun. I have had no problems with any of my Taurus handguns.

Dave

16. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I had a PT111 Millenium Pro. Weak primer strike brand new out of the box. Started out missfiring about 1 or 2 rounds out of a box of 50. After about 200 rounds it started misfiring about 1 or 2 out of each mag full. It was totally unreliable. I also had a M85 Ultralite. It shaved lead right out of the box. If you shot jacketed ammo it would lock up the cylinder after 2 shots. Total piece of crap. I have owned two Taurus guns. I wouldn'd own another if I got it for free.

17. Korey

Korey New Member

the way I see it is,
    The more budget concerned person will buy a Taurus and if it happens to be one that works they will praise it, where the people who have used or owned higher level weapons will have more experience to praise or complain on the brand. This usually makes the budget guys mad and call the higher budget guys snobs and the like because they feel they are only saying bad things on the cheaper brands because they own more expensive brands, that isn't true. It only looks that way because they are getting compared to a higher quality and priced piece. I'll just use my personal experience for an example, I've shot a lot of kimbers and recently a les baer, now on the 4th of july weekend I shot my cousins taurus 1911 and was surprised by the amount of difference in the quality in the 3 brands. I know for sure it turned me off taurus in general because of the lower level of fit and finish and especially the trigger that was real creepy and sloppy imo.

18. shipwreck

shipwreck New Member

U da man!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

Great post! [​IMG][​IMG]

19. Korey

Korey New Member

thank you I was trying to make sure I didn't step on any ones toes while making my point known