Taurus "Judge"

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by envyminnesota, Feb 24, 2012.

1. envyminnesota

envyminnesota New Member

Hello, my uncle told me about this 5rd revolver that shoots .410 shells and .45 colt rounds. I have read some mixed reviews about it... Cabelas has a Preowned one for 450$ that has the black finish. Do any of you have an opinion about this revolver or a certain ammunition you liked with it more?

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya dont buy it except to shoot snakes.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

3. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

The judge is an excellent revolver. But .410 is pricey.

4. envyminnesota

envyminnesota New Member

Well I was thinking it would be a good trail gun. Take it hunting/fishing etc. We have bobcats, mtn lions, bears, etc. .410 would help closer up... Not sure how the .45 would fair with a 2 3/4" barrel. Practice I suppose? The other part would just be in home protection, .410 wouldn't go flying through walls

5. bigtiller

bigtiller New Member

I had 2 of them. Never trust it to shoot anything more threatening than a paper target. And don't buy a used one without a written guarantee.

6. tCan

tCan Active Member

Get a Raging Judge Magnum instead. It shoots the .454 Casull. The recoil from that puppy could break a steers neck!! It also handles .45 Long Colt and your .410. It's a better built revolver. The regular Judges seem flimsy to me.

7. Win73

Win73 New Member

S & W now has a similar revolver that will shoot .410, .45 colt, or .45 acp.

8. envyminnesota

envyminnesota New Member

I saw one of the Raging Judges at another local gun show that I want to saw was 1.5-2x the price... Also, yes I am familiar with the S & W model, 6 rd revolver and its The Governor. That was another couple hundred for a new one. I was looking at that as well but I am trying to stay on some type of budget as this is my first handgun.

9. tCan

tCan Active Member

Ok here's some facts:
    The Judge is taurus' best selling revolver.
    I will never own a Judge.

My point is that you'll either like it or you wont. And here's why. The Judge was designed to do several things very mediocre. The rifling is shallow so that it wont disperse your shot shells. However the accuracy of your other rounds will suffer for it. Maybe not to an unacceptable level, but it will. So if you need a multipurpose gun, the judge will work for you. If not, there are better offerings.

The Ruger GP100 is an affordable, sought after, double action revolver. It's more than the judge but it's worth the money. If you're really short on money and need a gun the Ruger SP101 is also decent and can be found for the same $450.

If you don't necessarily want a revolver, the Smith & Wesson M&P goes for your same $450. The Ruger SR9 is another piece. I shot a rental and I like it quite a bit, goes for $380-400

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

My thing is if i want to shoot 410 from a revolver ill use my ruger 41 mag vaquero.

11. envyminnesota

envyminnesota New Member

Thanks a lot for the response. A lot of good info! I have never actually shot a revolver. I am 6'2" 300lbs, I have shot a relatives .45 and a .380 neither of which I could not handle. I have always been more attracted to revolvers but I am always looking to expand my collection. I will have to check out the ones referenced above as a semi-auto would also do some good.

12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

My advice is go to someplace that will let you rent em and just experiment. Take ulyour tine and dont rush it bc that gun can possibly be the difference in your life or you catchin a major dosage of deaditis

13. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

Taurus gets sent back soo much a few of my friends dropped selling them. Sick of returning them for customers. Taurus is notorious for falling out of time, shaving lead and glitches like that. The yoke just dropped out of the judge I told my dad not to buy.

14. FlBob518

FlBob518 New Member

15. glockman55

glockman55 Member

Don't but a novelty for your first hand gun.. very heavy, cumbersome, and no accuracy.. Too many other great revolvers out there.

16. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Nothing like a good youtube video: :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/Watch?v=ttFslPwNEuc&feature=youtube[/ame]

17. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

I have a Taurus judge with a 6 1/2 inch barrel. Its mainly just a mess around and bragging rights gun, however 4 shot shells works alright, and the .000 buckshot loads are excellent for Home defense.

18. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

May all your enimies be large standing still and always 9 Feet away.:rolleyes:

19. Oblivion9

Oblivion9 New Member

I just don't see any situation where there isn't a better gun for the job...except for what the gun was originally designed for...a snake gun.

Ill take 15 rounds from a glock 19 over 5 rounds of .410. And. 45 longcolt in the house?

Mist people I know that own one keeps a mix of 45 and 410 to cover the issue if shirt range vs range vs stopping power which even further reduces round count.

Much rather have a 4 inch. 357 loaded with. 38 in the house for control.

The cool factor far outweighs usefulness.

20. shihan59

shihan59 New Member

The Judge is a great gun. I have the complete family, I reload my own 45's and the guns are very accurate