taurus judge

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by easterner123, Jul 30, 2009.

1. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

Well gents, I have been wanting to get my hands on a handgun for some time and I think the taurus judge might be the one for me. First off, let me say I LOVE shotguns, and they are my favorite type of firearm. I am used to doing a lot of sporting clays and skeet, so this whole pistol thing is very new to me. I've shot a Smith and Wesson chief's special model something or other once and did pretty good. what are some pros and cons of the judge, and how awesome is it to have a pistol that shoots shotgun shells:cool: but is it effective?

2. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I have had my Taurus "Judge" for a little over a year and a half now. It shoots great! I've shot a couple thousand rounds through it and I much prefer 410's over 45 Colt ammo_Of all the shotgun shells I've shot, I have found that #4's are the best for close range oblitteration. They'll really make a mess of your target...

I changed my grips to Hogue monogrips, they are much better!

Attached Files:

3. Mark F

This is what the "JUDGE" does to a target at 15 feet... 5 rounds of #4 shot.

Attached Files:

4. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

Damn. Thats pretty badass lol.
    They look a little weird. But obviously, they will mess something up lol

S.S.

5. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

wow. definetly loadin up the shotshells. thats some firepower right there. well, are there any other recommendations, like any good gun shops in new england where I can get one:cool:

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I just never liked the judge. Sure, it looks neat to shred paper and would make an excellent snake gun, but I question the stopping power of the .410.

7. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

4 rounds at 5 feet, and you would question stopping power? It is a Close Combat weapon, so don't get into a fire fight where the bad guy is more than 10 feet away.

8. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

well I'm not looking for a really long range weapon, thats all I have at the moment. its either this or a centerfire rifle. the good thing about the judge is that it can be a .45, one of the most hard hitting pistol rounds ever made. besides, im not going to be carrying it (that would be illegal at the moment) so when I want a carry gun, its a 1911. this would just be a shooter, maybe a back up HD after a rem 870 w/ slugs and buckshot.

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I would hope not too, but I questions it still.

I'd be more convinced if more tests were dome. Perhaps the judge owners can help us out?

Shoot some dense stuff with .410 slugs and defensive rounds, then with a .40 or .45 defensive rounds. :)

11. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Pretty impressive in the vids [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrSGiJG25E4]YouTube - Revólver Taurus The Judge 45-410[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWFGsTsNxa8]YouTube - Taurus New Judge TV Spot & Behind Scenes[/ame]

12. HunterMarksman338

HunterMarksman338 New Member

:eek:

I want that gun for my car so bad!!! Whhoooo yeah!!

13. keymastr5912

keymastr5912 New Member

i heard that someone was making a load that had 3 00buck in it. do not know who. sounds like that would be pretty bad news up close.

14. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco New Member

I'm gonna sound like a smart-A$$ here but I feel strongly about this info as I've tested it extensively.

I have shot the judge and Bond so much I needed hand surgery.
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/johnny-loco-king-idiots-16174/index2.html

If you don't want to wake up one morning and find yourself dead, you better use #9 to the face and 45Colt to finish the job.

Why? When shooting hard targets like 3/4" plywood the Buckshot will bounce off and hit you or someone else. The same goes for large birdshot. Slugs tumble and sometimes deflect.

Other than the rounds I listed...Its a gimmick!

But as always, if it works for you...Go for it.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  15. Mark F

I'm not here to convence you to buy one... shoot one, or own one. But I will tell you that you wouldn't want to be on the receiving side of this pistol, or ANY .410 for that matter. Unless you happen to have kevlar for skin...

I have shot EVERY round available for the "Judge", and #4 shot is the best. 45 Colts are not all that great...

16. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco New Member

45 Colt engages the rifling and is more lethal than any other round.

Slugs will not engage the rifling.

3" buckshot is the absolute most dangerous because of low velocity as I've shot hard objects through an opening in railroad timbers.

#9 has the least amount of deflection and the most coverage.

#4 birdshot and buckshot has really bad hard target deflection as well as #6

You literally get better results from a straight 45 Colt pistol using encapsulated shotshells, they pattern better and the firearm is lighter.

"You'll shoot your eye out"

17. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

OK, Johnny; but as a self defense pistol, aren't we going to be engaging soft targets? I'm not worried about bird shot that deflects off the bad guy's forehead as long as the hole it leaves in the soft tissues is large enough to insert a soda can. The weapon look like it would be effective, is there any data where it has been tested on ballistic gelatin?

18. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco New Member

I'm sure it would be somewhat effective on a human target.

19. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

getting a handgun that shoots .410 shells is a great idea these days.Where I am from,only specific handgun ammo has a shortage,so a .410 or .22 handgun is a great way to know you can always have ammo to shoot,and at $9.97 for 25 at walmart,it isn't any more expensive to shoot than a .38spl.

20. Mark F

Johnnyloco,

You can make your own decision about "what you think is best". However, People are not made of railroad timbers. Timbers don't bleed, and they don't feel pain. 45 Colt rounds will have a longer range, no doubt. But the fact is, 95% of hostile encounters are very close. This pistol IS INTENDED for close range encounter. You saw my target. That is some serious lead splatter and you won't get that from 45 Colts. While you still have to aim to some degree, a .410 doesn't reqiire much accuracy to cause a lot of damage.

That's whe whole purpose of the "Judge". Minimal aim, maximum damage.

I have shot litterally thousands of rounds through my Judge, including hundreds of 45 Colts of various load configurations. For a grab & fire hostile encounter, #4 shot made more good target hits than all the 45 Colts, and more target hits than the .410 "000" buck shot.

So, I have concluded that #4 shot provides you a better chance of hitting your assailant (with some degree of damage) when you grab your Judge and start firing it in the general direction of the assailant.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009