Taurus judge public defender

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by deathkricket, Dec 3, 2009.

1. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Well i picked up the new Taurus judge public defender day befor yesterday, for all you who are wondering the difference, the public defender is the compact judge for a CCW. I have to tell you 3 days ago i never though i would EVER own one of these as they are large cumberson weapons and im not 6"5 by any means, however i will say that at 5"6 165 i can tuck the public defender in my waist band with a T-shirt and jeans and you will never know. I did some research on them to see what their "made" of and almost all the things i read are people bashing them as novelty and snake guns. I must say i bought some of the federal 000 buck made for the judge and it packs as much whack as any .40, at 15 yards it held under a 3 inch pattern and was dead on the sights which was very impressive considering the kind of revolver it is. one handed at 15 yards yeilded a 4 inch pattern and was only a little left but thats just my trigger pull. At 20 yards in SA both hands made about a 41/2 pattern and the shot was a little low. Now the farthest i would ever consider getting in a gun battle is a max of 20 yards with a revolver any way so this will be my new CC gun. With its small size recoil was minimum to me but then agin i like to feel the gun i shoot, a old man at the range i let shoot it said the recoil was a bit on the heavy side for him. At around 3 secs i was able to get off all 5 rounds into the lips of a osama bin laden target at 15 yards takeing my time to re aim after every shot and they all stayed on his mouth so i say recoil cant be to bad. I picked it up brand new off the shelf for $206 by givin the shop one of my old shottys so i got a good deal on it. only bad thing i noted was cheap ammo completely shut the gun down with unburnt powder and the ammo later turned out to be the euro spec which is the wrong size in the brass caseing. there are many tips i can give to any one with questions just leme know

2. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I bought the Taurus 4510 "The Judge" for my wife sometime back. This one is the polished stainless steel version. I like it, but more importantly my wife likes it. I've fired virtually every round available in 2.5" .410 caliber and some 45 LC as well. The only change I made was to replace the original grip with a Hogue Monogrip. It makes a big difference!

3. Mark F

This is my wife's Judge...

Attached Files:

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Thanks for the report. I don't know if I'll ever own one, but they intrigue me.

5. MB44

MB44 New Member

Yeah I kinda feel like the same way. If I ever would have one, it would be one of those firearms you would buy becuase they are fun to shoot, and cool to have. But, apparently Mark F's wife has one which I must assume she uses, so it can't be all that bad.

Hmm... I am getting curious myself,....

I get that same feeling as the first time a saw a GLOCK - ugly, but there is something attractive about it (I guess it is the testosterone factor). Over time the uglyness of the Glocks have disappeared, and I couldn't imagining NOT having one today....

6. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

If you ever get one i recomend the public defender version as it is a LOT smaller and on par with most other revolvers people would consider for a CCW, and if you want to use it as a defensive weapon for protection the only thing i recomend is the 45LC which is hard to find where i live or the federal 000 buck which has 4 BB's (the size of 12 gauge buck) and is a FMJ and made specificly for the judge.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/buckshot.aspx?id=848

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  7. dcp1987

dcp1987 New Member

i just got a judge the other week. the 3 inch mag version but i havent had the time to get to the range yet.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I would second that. I don't know if they are for my safe, but there is something interesting about the platform as a What If. :cool:

9. MB44

MB44 New Member

Well I was just browsing on the internet for local gunshops and I found the Old version of the Judge (deathkricket is right, the new one looks cooler), the only problem,...the price-tag...grab something to hold on to,.... 1000 USD....Yeahhh that is what we pay for guns around here... :mad:

I got some errands to do tomorrow: 1) Pick up my SIG P250, 2) register for the Level III IPSC match on sunday, so I just might swing by the gunshop, to see what it looks and feels like....;)

10. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Holy crap, $1000 thats on the higher end of things, you can pick up the new judge for $400 at local gun shops around my house

11. MB44

MB44 New Member

What can I say,...things are just slightly different here in Chile.....I could even Imagine that the Taurus we get down here, are imported from the US and not directly from Brazil,.. so we get taxed twice..., and then they slap on like 1000% customs,....But that ain't holding me back.....:D

12. shirt001

shirt001 New Member

I just bought the Public Defender from Buds Guns online for a pretty good price. $412.00 delivered. I also picked up a box of Federal 000 buck with 4 pellets per shell. Should be a great car gun. I carry an XDM .40, which will do the defensive job extremely well. Especially loaded with Federal HST's. I wanted something specifically for the car. My normal carry just won't be fast enough while sitting in the car.

I would also feel well defended carrying the Public Defender as a daily carry weapon. A lot of people on other sites are slamming the Judge series of handguns. They all say it doesn't do well at a distance. Well, it was designed for up close and personal. I believe 4 .36 caliber balls being fired at someone at a range of probably 5-10 feet(where mostly all gunfights take place) will do the job quite nicely.

Chris

13. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

You said it and i couldnt agree more

14. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

MB44, those prices are even worse than what we pay in Argentina! I'm suddenly feeling a bit better about our trade agreements with Brazil.

Anyway, I had a Judge for a while. I bought it because it seemed fun, and I just couldn't find a use for it. For every task there seemed to be a better suited gun in my collection.

For home defense, five .410 shots without a quick reload might not be enough in a city where home invasions are carried out by three or more criminals. If I'm going to have five shots, I'd rather use 3" 12 gauge shells loaded with 00 buckshot. And 15 .45acp rounds out of my P14-45 are better than 5 .45LC from the Judge.

It's just too bulky for concealed carry, a Ruger GP100 is easier to conceal! Additional ammo is also on the large side. I think there are much more effective weapons that are easier to tote around every day.

Many people think it's a good choice to fend off a carjacker, I don't drive so I can't comment on this use.

Woods bumming was the one area where I could see a future for my Judge, as a snake gun that was versatile enough to handle an SD situation in a pinch (with .45LC rounds) or function as an emergency hunting gun for small game (with .410 shells).

Sadly, my Judge's frame cracked after less than 50 Magtech cowboy action loads. I took it back to the gunstore and got a new Remington 870.

If you haven't read it yet, here's a short review of the Judge on the Box o' truth. The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

15. shirt001

shirt001 New Member

The box of truth is an outdated review to say the least. Here is a current review.

Taurus .45 Colt/.410 Shotshell “Public Defender” Revolver

I don't know why some people just won't believe this gun with 000 buck won't kill someone deader than crap. At 5 ft from my driver side, i would not want to be on the recieving end of my Public defender.

16. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

That guy always has good reviews, Hes pretty much the only one who is truly impartial at the first test.

17. sasquatch76

sasquatch76 New Member

Taurus Judge

I own the 3" Mag Judge. Those Federal .410 Handgun shells have a much tighter pattern than regular shells, it's the spread control sabot they put in them. I've scored some impressive groups at 20 yards with them. As for .45LC, I load my own using Alliant Bullseye powder and 250 gr Hornady XTP bullets, they shoot extremely accurate for a 3" barrel revolver. All in all the Judge is a joy to own and shoot. And although I've never had to use it as a home defender, I have every confidence it would get the job done.

18. Mark F

I bought one of these guns for my wife about a year ago. We both are impressed with it. For those that don't think much of the .410 are obviously not well informed of its close-range capabilities, or they've never shot one.

19. Mark F

I paid 480.00 USD for mine.

20. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Speaking of the judge, i went to the range today to test out my new 1911 and i brought my judge along for some fun, The rage guy would only let me pull the target board to the 25 yard line and i wasn't happy about cracking my last 000 buck at a target 25 yards away with the snub nose defender, i didn't think from that far away i could put the rounds on the paper but much to my surprise it held, id say about a foot pattern in windy conditions