Taurus Judge issues

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Sev, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Sev

Sev New Member

Just wondering if anybody has issues with opening the cylinder of the Judge? Mine doesn't open smooth. If you push the release all the way the locking pin pushes into the cylinder and it won't release. I have to ease up on the release and then it will open.
    The other issue is the guy next to me said that the lead shot was sheering off as it left the cylinder and entered the barrel. He said he could feel it hitting his face. I was at a station next to him at the range. Does anyone know if this is actually happening, or is it just the gas from the shell being expelled between the cylinder and the barrel?

Thanks!

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

First off, Welcome to the forum.

Have you been shooting long? How long have you had your pistol? Did you buy it new or used? From a dealer or private party? Were you firing .45 Long Colt or .410 shot shells?

3. Sev

Sev New Member

Thanks for the welcome. I've been shooting a Kimber Custom II for a few months, and 12 gauge shotguns for several years.
    I bought the Judge new from a dealer at a gun show. I was shooting .410 loads, winchester super X. I also shot remington .410 loads and they were very hard to eject. I won't use them again. It was my first time shooting the gun.

4. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

I've read about so many problems on the Judge with 410 shells. Try 45 LC and see how well they work.

S.S.

5. Sev

Sev New Member

Would love to shoot 45 LC. They are hard to get!

6. Shotgun Shooter

Dune..not a single one of those are in stock. :p

S.S.

7. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I have a Taurus 4510 "Judge". I have fired well over 2000 .410's through it, no problems at all.

It sounds as though your Judge may have a slight timing problem, whereby the forcing cone & cylinder are not aligned perfectly when you fire the pistol. You will need to have a good gunsmith look at it or send it to Taurus...

Attached Files:

8. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

I saw recently where Federal has developed a .410 load specificly for the Taurus! Im not sure how good it is or how big of a diffrents it makes as I dont own a Taurus, but I thought you might be interested.:)

9. fxstchewy

fxstchewy New Member

Some .410 swell in mine after firing, the new Federal BS load worked great in mine and it also shoots 45LCs great too!

10. Mark F

I haven't heard of this one, I'll look for it. However, my Judge hasn't been a problem with "standard" .410's.

11. Shotgun Shooter

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  12. Mark F

Interesting...

I may have to give it a try!

13. Shotgun Shooter

That ammo seems to be cheaper than normal 410 loads. Its usually like 5-6 bucks per 5 rds of 000bk.

S.S.

14. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Make shure that your ejector pin is screwed in tight. If it has loosened, it will cause difficult opening of the cylinder. As far as lead spitting, it would have to be looked at buy a gunsmith for proper alignment and timing.

Jim.............

15. Mark F

I typically pay about .50 per round for .410 shotgun shells. These loads are about .58 per round. Nothing to lose sleep over.

16. Shotgun Shooter

I dont own a .410, but its something I've noticed while looking at buckshot/slugs for .410's.

S.S.

17. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

As the owner of a Mossy 500 in the .410 as well as the 20 ga, let me just say dont go to Gander to get .410 rounds. They will demand you leave both your arm and leg at the counter :mad: This is my experiance anyways.

18. sasquatch76

sasquatch76 New Member

As in other posts on this forum, I highly recommend the Federal .410 handgun 000 buck, the special spread control sabot keep the grouping tighter than regular shotgun shells. I get mine at Wal-Mart for about $13 for a box of 20.