taurus "judge". becoming quite popular

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by thejudge410, Nov 10, 2013.

1. thejudge410

thejudge410 New Member

Having a hard.time locating 45 colt (long).
    Anyone else having this problem?

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

The Judge is OK but a little too heavy and bulky for my liking. Several of my friends carry them hunting in Texas for snakes and final shot on a wounded animal. Great for that! I just prefer a lighter and more compact weapon for CCW.

Like the Avitar~

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, .410 sure has gone through the freaking roof. :mad:

4. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 New Member

I have quite a bit of experiance with 12 and 20 gauge but absolutely none with .410. Is this a good defensive round at close range? Do much damage to the human body?

5. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

It's unbelievably outrageous. You get half the shell for twice the money.

6. DP03

DP03 New Member

Shameless plug, but I have some .410 for sale in the classifieds.

7. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

While I like the idea of a shotgun in a pistol, the 410 is an under powered round in general and overpriced to boot.

I suppose it depends on "what" you are buying it for. For SD, there are more effective calibers available in significantly smaller, handier packages.

Would be ideal for snake protection though...:D:

8. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

Go Thompson Contender, they're only single shot but hey, that saves money and one shot is all it takes.

9. DP03

DP03 New Member

There's another thread on here with a video of the judge shot with the newer 410 self defense rounds that might change your mind. Plus, don't forget that you can stagger that cylinder with 45LC, which is more powerful than most handgun rounds.........

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

410 shells have always been more expensive than 12 & 20 ga shells. The last 12ga sabots I bought were $12 for 5 rounds. I don't see the price of 410 ammo as out of line.

11. thejudge410

thejudge410 New Member

U stole my thunder.. i was about to add that i purchased some of those "self defense rounds" and axiously went to test them out. The .410 round packs coated disks backed with coated "bb's". My targets were a metal drum, a pumpkin, and a five gallon bucket filled with water and a lid on it.
    @30 Yards shot the metal drum, the disks kept a 3-4 inch pattern whilst the bb's went a-spray. All shot went thru both sides. Same results with the pumpkin just more dramatic..
    The water filled bucket however lifted off the surface about 5 feet upon impact, split open and the lid blew off.
    I am convinced that any would be attacker intent on doing harm would not have any dr. bills for thier family to have to pay...

12. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

How long was the Barrel? I could see the 6.5" being useful in certain situations, with those "defense" rounds. I'm interested to see what Hornady's Critical Defense 410 round does( a .41 Slug with the "filling" in the cavity, followed by 2 .35 "balls"....

13. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

This occasionally goes by my bedside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. thejudge410

thejudge410 New Member

3 inch the rounds i mentioned using were winchester elite PDX1 defender. 2.5 Inch rounds @750 velocity.
    The pistol, barrel length and the rounds are ideal for my personal protection needs..
    If i need any more than that lets not forget the pistol will also recieve 45long colt rounds.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  15. thejudge410

thejudge410 New Member

Me likes.. what are the chrome deals u got there holding your rounds?

16. Chestys1911

Chestys1911 New Member

I've seen the damage .410 self defense does to pumpkins and it aint pretty

17. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

Just your basic speed loaders made from aircraft aluminum..

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

And pumpkins ain't people. Just sayin'.

I don't put a lot of credence into "tests" on fruit, vegetables, 2x4 boards, or plywood sheets, unless you are specifically trying to see what ammo is good for shooting those particular things.

Not saying the rounds absolutly wont do the job of stopping a person. I just don't see a direct translation from pumpkin smashing to people stopping, or plywood shredding to flesh penetration.

19. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

It does a fine job on opossums and squirrels. I have never used it on a human. .410 buckshot does exist, I just don't see the point.

20. DP03

DP03 New Member

The PDX1 SD rounds were created with the same theory of why people would rather use a 12 gauge SG vs a 20 gauge. More is better. Multiple projectiles from a .410 PDX1 round that go through both sides of a steel drum will be more effective than most single projectile rounds for SD. And again, if deep penetration is the concern (heavy winter clothing, etc) the judge fires the 45 Colt round that does the job better than most.

The Judge is popular due to the rounds it shoots, not because it's a Taurus. If Glock or Sig made a gun that did the same, they'd be put on pedestals........I have no biased whatsoever for Taurus, and the Judge is the only one I've owned. But it's a well made revolver that shoots nasty rounds. Not a lot that can go wrong there......As for pumpkins vs humans, I agree. But I'm willing to bet the .410 SD rounds would embarrass almost any single round handgun load in a ballistic gelatin test.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013