Taurus Judge .45/410

Discussion in 'Taurus Forum' started by trouter3, Feb 23, 2014.

1. trouter3

trouter3 New Member

Quite a potent combination I would say, the .410 defensive ammunition
    On paper seems to be a tremendous innovation in defensive close range scenario
    Ammunition ... This isn't the .410 ammo our fathers used to hunt with ..the Federal handgun .410 OOO buckshot with 5 pellets just has to be a very effective round at close range, all the ammunition companies have or are in the process of offering Ammunition developed just for this handgun .. What's your opinion? Passing fad or is this the real thing ....a handgun that handles 3 inch shotgun shells has caught the attention of the public .....

2. bungiex8e8

bungiex8e8 New Member

had the chance to fire one did not like it at all. Pretty inaccurate for me. would deff not be my first choice for a defense pistol home or out and about.

3. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have shot the Rageing Judge. Im not a huge fan, at less then 15 yards it would be alright but I prefer the ability to accurately shoot farther.

mammas dont let your cowboys grow up to be babies

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Governor is better.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I was dead set against these when they first came out because they are bigger than needed for a .45 Colt, and .410 rounds are best for birds. And they are made by Taurus, which is a company I have my iwn reasons to dislike.

Now that some ammo has been developed specifically for them, they may not be totally ridiculous.

If I wanted something like this I'd by the Smith and Wesson, partly because of my distaste for Taurus, but also for the added versatility of being able to use .45 ACP in it.

6. trouter3

trouter3 New Member

Well I recently aquired the 3" magnum judge and it's all that's it's advertised folks, a close up defensivel handgun, superbly effective within the parameters it was designed for 5-10-15, yards ... The .410 defensive round is nothing like the .410 shot rounds, a completely different animal, have put a few boxes of the Federal,Winchester, Remington defensive ammunition through it and I'm more impressed with it each time I use ..
    it... The weapon is not for the faint of heart! A lot of recoil, loud report and barrel flash ...a beast to say the least, but if your a fan of magnum handguns like I am it's a lot of fun to fire the weapon ...

7. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

I have had my Judge for over 3 years and find it very suitable for its intended purpose. Even though I do not carry it everyday I San see it being a effective weapon for the vehicle, and tight situations.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

8. trouter3

trouter3 New Member

Agreed bigrockc44 the handgun was made for a specific scenario and with the new ammunition being offered and developed it is just as advertised an up close personal defensive weapon ..I'm very impressed with the federal personal defensive buck shot as a round for this purpose 9 pellets-4 buck ..I'd hate to be on the business end of that round for sure ....

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

.410 is pathetic round at best. Even with "defensive" its in the same category as 25acp as a defensive round.

If your going to use one of these for defense load it and keep it loaded with 45colt.

My opinion is instead of getting one of these revolvers get a pistol designed to be a 45colt from the get go. Best of the lot are the rugers I've got a pair of new vaqueros 4.62" barrels with the extra 45acp cylinders. I would rather be able to shoot 45acp and 45colt than shoot useless expensive ineffective .410shotshells.

Just my opinion. You can do as you wish:confused:

10. trouter3

trouter3 New Member

Your opinion is most likely predicated on the old .410 ammunition, these new offerings are nothing like them ... I do respect all opinions but if you haven't any real time experience your opinion is heresay ... Like armpits everyone's got one! I too was skeptical when I was first introduced to the handgun ! .410 in a pistol you've got to be kidding me!! Well I've done a complete 360 now that I have fired many rounds out of the handgun. It's got a special niche, as advertised for 5-7-10 yard encounters this is the weapon I prefer again after seeing real time demonstrations and not third party heresay ... Try it you'll be pleasantly surprised by its performance ....then formulate your opinion

11. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

Alternate the different types of Ammo for this in the cylinder and it will change your dirrection screw your ass up. :eek:

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

actually its got nothing to do with the design of the projectile but simply you cannot put enough powder in a 410 to make the shot package whatever it is from slug to birdshot effective on anything much larger than a rabbit. its just tthe nature of the 410 shotshell. like all shotshells they are low pressure with nothing really to seal the deal so they use VERY fast burning powder to get as much energy as possible to get the projectile going.

there has been no change in the laws of physics that im aware of that will make a 410 more powerful. there simply isnt enough capacity in one.

i have tried them friend of mine has one and im less than impressed even with the "new improved" shotshells. even out of a shotgun the 410 is pretty pathetic.

13. trouter3

trouter3 New Member

We are talking multiple projectiles 36, 41 caliber, not talking #8 birdshot you need to take a look at some of the gel tests done with the round, but am not here to get into a pissin contest with anyone, pathetic, whatever your terminology I see it just the opposite way... I'd use a multi projectile round that size over a single bullet anytime of the day in a scenario that the weapon was designed for....you keep referring to a rabbit gun, this is a defensive handgun, nothing to do with rabbit hunting ..and you hit that animal at the range prescribed with PDX 1 or Federal 000 you'll be lucky to find any fur .... To each his own sir ....

14. trouter3

trouter3 New Member

Eagle 1803 ..you trying to make a point sir? Screw up my ass doesn't compute is that a statement or a question? My ass got nothing to do with the Taurus judge .... If your trying to say something factual please back it up
    With good useful real time information ...but again if your just trying to break chops we will put your post where it belongs in the round file ( and I was being nice) this is a family oriented forum

15. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Just a nit picking point, but if you did a 360 you would have come back to the place you started. I only got a C in Geometry but I think you meant 180.

16. trouter3

trouter3 New Member

No sir, I did a 360' as stated back to the place, ground zero, I Began realizing how totally incorrect I was initially listening to all the negative here-say and not going by my instincts to evaluate a firearm but using it..pulling the trigger, letting it go bang and then formulate a reasonable opinion on it ...your C was well earned ...

17. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

didn't mean your ass, and I think everybody knows that, calm down! please don't hold it against me. :)

18. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

It's no secret that I am not a Taurus fan. I bought a used Judge in stainless steel to try it for myself. The fact that the lifetime warranty would apply to me and the 3" chamber made the decision. I will post after shooting it.

19. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

Mine is not accurate but it will group pretty decent at 50-75 ft for me . the shot loads are ridiculous or I should say using bird shot , it wont kill but it will get the msg across . I had mine loaded with buck / slug and LC HP . biggest problem I had was I liked shooting it and its not a cheap plinking gun by any means .

20. Donn

Donn Active Member

If you were in the market for a home defense shotgun, would a 410 be your first choice? If you answered no, why would a 410 in a cumbersome, short barreled revolver be any better? Your money would be better spent in a handgun that shoots one caliber excellently rather than one that shoots three just OK.