Firearms Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taurus G3 vs Smith&Wesson M&P9 Gen 1

6K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  OldGnome 
#1 · (Edited)
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

The Smith is on top in the Pic and the Taurus on bottom.
IMO they are both visually attractive guns but in slightly different ways with the Smith looking a bit more elegant and the Taurus looking a bit more brutal kinda like a Glock only perhaps in a better way.
The Taurus looks like the grip is longer but that is due it wearing an extended mag (this extended mag brings it to 17+1 rds like the Smith).
While the G3 is a new design I felt is appropriate to pit them against each other as the M&P Gen 1 can still be had used unfired or slightly used for about the same price as the G3.
I bought this M&P 9 Gen 1 about the same time the Gen 2 came out and was able to buy it used unfird for 300 USD approx the MSRP of the G3.

My particular M&P 9 is not just a Gen 1 but an early tranche and does not have the upgraded extractor.
The last tranches of M&P Gen 1s had the improved extractor of the M&P9 2.0, this one does not.
Smith will, for free, install the new extractor, or send you the part on request.

Now to the comparison:
I just shot 140 rds of Tula 9mm through the G3 and 120 rounds of same through the Smith.
I have previously owned a Smith and amassed probably 2000+ rds through one.
I previously owned Taurus G2 which reminds me a lot of this G3 and have thousands of rounds through that.
That was also a M&P9 1.0. only one number different in the serial number actually.

1) Reliability:
Starting with the G3:
No stoppages of any kind however one of the reloads of chambering a follow on round was a tad slow.
Some of you may recall that the gun had failures to feed with its original two mags during previous (and its first) outing.
Mags are replaced and problem as disappeared as far as I can tell.

The Smith had 3 stoppages in 120 rds, all due to failure to extract. I was not surprised as the Tula being steel, challenged extraction in a gun and the M&P being a Gen 1 is known for weak extraction. (there is a reason an improved extractor come out)
I might rate reliability a near draw since I was planning to get the improved extractor for this gun and my other Gen1 runs perfect with the improved extractor.

+0.5 for both, a draw (if I hadnt already run a Smith with the new extractor so much, I would call this a win for the G3 but I think we all know these are not really enough rounds to judge reliability yet anyway)

2) Sights:
I call this a win for the Smith. The sights simply are better. Even though the Taurus sighs are now Glock configured and can be freely changed for anything that fits a Glock we are comparing stock-to-stock.
This particular one even comes with Tritium sights which incredibly still shine!
M&P 9 1.0 +1

3) Trigger:
Neither gun has an outstanding trigger but the G3 has a slight edge.

+0.5 for G3

4) Grip:
Even though the Smith has 3 grip options (palmswells that can be replaced), the superior deeper stippling of the G3 simply grips better. I find my grip slipping on the Smith all the time, never on the G3. The G3s stippling is by all accoutns even better than the M&P 9 2.0 , which has improved stippling.

+ 1 for G3

5) Magazine ejection and control
The Mag release button on the M&P 9 1.0 seems a bit larger. but the G3 ejects it mags with more authority. Draw

+0.5 both guns

6)
Safety
The G3 has an external safety none of the M&P 9 1.0 had one.
Many do not care about this but for me this is a huge win. I will but the point in parenthesis.

+1 for G3 ( for some)

7) general ergonomics and pointability. This is a very important feature so I weigh it double. A clear win for the G3. IT almost seems like the M&P9 1.0 was designed for single handed shooting a la WW2 doctrine and the G3 for double handed shooting.
I shoot much better with the G3, no doubt due to a combination of several ergonomic factors.
Examples are the deep dimples on the frame, the curved and serrated trigger guard and the wider trigger itself

+2 for G3

8) fit and finish
The M&P 9 1.0 feels more solid like it would last forever. The G3 does not have a track record on this yet and like I said the Smith feels super solid somehow.

+1 for Smith

Result

3.0 points for Smith
5.5 for G3 (or 4.5 for those who dont care for external safeties)

The M&P 9 2.0 would have likely done better.

But in order to compare apples to apples IMO one must compare price equivalent.
The value of a used unfired or slightly used M&P9 1.0 is about the same as G3.

PS: As an experiment I will clean neither before the Next outing.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Update:
Shot another 150 rds thru each gun today.

- originally i wrote the trigger on the Taurus was ever so slightly better.
I am revising this. The trigger on the Smith is slightly better.
So the 0.5 pt awarded to the Taurus gets taken off and added to the Smith for a tally of
3.5 pts for the Smith
5.0 pts for the G3

- During 150rds I did have a couple light primer strikes with the Taurus shooting the Tula, but the G3s second strike capability prevented them from becoming stoppages. I just pulled the rigger a second time and it went "Bang".

-The Smith experienced 3+ more failures to extract in 150 rds
Again I will get the updated extractor from S&W and am confident this will fix just like it did for my other M&P9 1.0

#5 ·
I thought it was odd to compare the latest generation of one with an old generation of the other. Made the whole thing sort of meaningless to me. I read your reasoning, but I think price just needs to be a part of the evaluation and use the latest and greatest of each brand.
I am not trying to be irritating, just an opinion regarding your methodology. On the other hand, I appreciated some of what you pointed out as plus or negative for each pistol…could be helpful to someone considering purchase of either firearm.

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
The topic here is contrasting the form and function of two price equivalent handguns the M&P9 1.0 With the Taurus G3.
How do your posts contribute to this in any way?

You continue to troll and poison the Taurus threads even though your posts have nothing to do with the topic on hand.

Reported as a thread-hijack to Moderators.

#7 ·
Also couple more kind words about the M&P9 1.0:
This was my favorite handgun for a while.
A true duty gun for 300 bucks! (used unfired when the 2.0s where out)

Incidentally i checked Smith's website and it appears u cannot configure the full size MP9 2.0 with external safety, which is a key requirement for me for a non-apocalypse gun.

It really does appear that for ergonomics the Smith lends itself well to one handed shooting but once you go two handed the gun just doesn't "fit".
In the past I been able to alleviate this by wearing my Wiley X Tac gloves, but of course real world I would not always wear them.

The G3 fits one or two handed quite well.

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
This is trolling.
Why not let people be enthusiastic about thier firearms?
Thats what a website is about.

if you decide you poison thread in the Taurus forum w/ off topic remarks it will make this part of FT much less enjoyable for everyone.
Posting a pic like this because you protest that you were called out on a violation, is also not cool in and of itself.

#14 ·
You noticed the word Taurus, and couldn't resist bashing them, and trying to make this fellow feel bad about his purchase. Just because you believe it to be true, does not make it that way;)
If you don't want opinions or comments on your stuff good or bad don't talk about them, show them or put pictures of them out there.

I recently stated my preference for my Sig P220 over my Government Model. Someone disagreed and commented on why he disliked the Sig. I didn't get all pouty, call the member a troll, state the member hijacked anything or run to the mods looking to censor his statement. On the contrary I pretty much said different strokes for different folks.

It's a sad day when a member is scolded or censored for voicing an opinion but that's the way things are headed. I suppose both of you would send the guys in black Suburbans to my house for a little reindoctrination if you were in charge.

Again the ignore button should solve your distress with a different opinion.

#20 ·
You dont get it do you?
Wasn't it enough the Admin deleted several of your posts in this thread?

Do us all a favor and just take a sabbatical from the Taurus subforum will you?
If you are not in good-faith interested in the firearm dont get involved in its threads.

#24 ·
We're done here. Thread closed.

Feel free to spin the topic up again, but if the same behavior continues, there will be vacations to all deserving contestants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.