Taurus 9mm with cracked barrel

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jeremyc, Jan 6, 2009.

1. jeremyc

jeremyc New Member

Got a taurus pt-99, a 92 with adjustable sights. Less than 1,000 rounds through it and the barrel is cracked:mad:, right by the shell extractor. I sent it to the factory, lifetime warranty, it hasn't been returned yet. Glad I got a glock....want at least one reliable gun.

Anybody have any experience with Taurus Warranty repairs:confused:??

I'm guessing that it'll take about three weeks, hopefully not longer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Great pics, keep us posted on the repair. Makes me want to look closer at my 24/7 to see if it has any issues. Thanks!!

3. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Every time I think about getting a Taurus, one of these threads pops up and convinces me otherwise.

4. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

I can officially cross Taurus off my list.:(

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

And your back-up is a Glock? :confused:

Get a Colt!

[​IMG]

Just kidding :D (about the Glock, not the Colt)

cane

[​IMG]

6. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

Good thing it IS a Taurus.....unusual failure BUT barrel will be replaced under lifetime warranty.

When the Glock barrel fails...and it will...you will be lucky IF it doesnt KB and Glock will tell you to go to hell ! Get an after market barrel for the Glock...and smile when the Taurus comes back with a new barrel.

Expect it to take 4 to 5 weeks. I would not be otherwise concerned about the Taurus !

7. oldandslow

oldandslow New Member

jeremy, 1/7/09

I too have the PT-99 and mine broke its locking block about three years ago at a 3000 round count. I contacted the factory and they said to send the broken part in for replacement. Three months later I had not heard anything so I called up Taurus and had great difficulty getting anyone to answer the phone. Several days later when someone finally answered they told me that they had alreadly sent it out, but unfortunately they sent it to the wrong state. They reshipped it to me and it arrived a short time later. So overall I had a difficult time contacting them to inquire about my replacement part and it was shipped to the wrong address. I have not bought any more Taurus pistols. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

PS- I also had problems with the roll pin holding the rear sight working its way out and then my rear sight would fall off onto the ground.

8. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

After you get it repaired, trade it off for a Beretta 92FS. You'll be much happier.

Best of luck to you. I'm glad the pistol didn't actually go kB! on you.

9. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Yeah Taurus is cheap for a reason. Their prices have increased, but their quality not so much.
    It is heresy, like dating an ugly woman, to praise the Glock. But I will. I hate them, but I have one and it is absolutely reliable. Good choice if you dont want to move up to a Kimber.;)
    Good luck my man, I hope they turn her around quick for you.

10. jeremyc

jeremyc New Member

Also had problems with the rear sights coming loose...asked them to repair that as well.

I'm definitely looking at getting something different....would love the Colt of Kimber, but out of my $$ range. Maybe the Beretta or an XD.

11. blackhawk45

blackhawk45 New Member

Bought a PT-908 a number of years ago,was a POS right out of the box. Sent it back to Taurus,they had it for 2 months, called Miami, talked to some fool,who told me they had a very large backup,( lots of work and no gunsmiths ) he promised me it would be repaired quickly. three weeks later I got my PT-908 back with a letter explaining the repairs that their smith had made. My next session at the range,same problem failure to extract. Soooo,I shipped it back to Miami,another 2 months go by,called again,I was told that my pistol had been shipped back the previous week,about 2 weeks later my pistol showed up ,and i took it back to the range,GUESS WHAT it still woud'nt extract the fired case. Took my pistol home ,cleaned it ,and sold it,at a great loss. Bought a Glock 23 and to date I've shot at least 8000 round without any problems, A real QUALITY product. Stay away from that Brazialian trash.Taurus Semi Autos are good for one thing and one thing only (PAPER WEIGHTS) never ,ever trust your life with a Taurus. just my 2cents.

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Taurus has had some QC issues especially with the PT-99's. I would not consider them serious fighting handguns.

13. DarrylS

DarrylS New Member

...Well my PT99 has been at Taurus for a bad slide ( machined off location ) for the second time since I bought it in September. They've had it this time since Dec. 3rd and I still haven't heard anything from them. So far they've had it for 3 of the 4 months I've owned it...:mad:...Never again...

14. jeremyc

jeremyc New Member

Hoping it doesn't take that long for repair...I've heard 3-5 weeks mostly...I'd be calling daily if it took months:mad:.

Anyway...not really sure I want to rely on Taurus in the future. Seriously think I'll sell this one, when I get it returned, as well as my snubbie Taurus .357 snubbie 605S. Get something more reliable, thinking 3" XD.40, .40XDm, or S&W snubbie.

15. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Do the revolvers have issues? I really wanted a Judge, but I can't afford to throw money away right now.

16. blackhawk45

blackhawk45 New Member

Do your self a favor,and eliminate any headaches,stay away from Taurus junk ! JMO

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

JC, depends on how you use the gun.

Is it a pop can plinker, range lizard or does it function as a carry?

Budget works for the first two, but your (my) life is not based on $$ but on confidence in the weapon. My two regular carries are Colts, not because of how much $$ I spent on them but because I trust them with my life.

One of my favorite range lizards is my Glock 22, a fun gun but paper targets don't respond in kind! If the barrel goes kb I only need to duck the shrapnel and not a Tango's incoming!

If you’re considering a Beretta or XD you are only a short time in saving from the Colt or Kimber. If you shop wisely, and we get passed this feeding frenzy of "The Arming of the True American Backbone" (I bet its scaring the sh!t out of the libs) you will find some real bargains.

Trust me on this one, when the wanta-bees regain their common sense (if they ever had any) and realizes they don’t need 3 of the same style guns or 5K rounds of ammo. These ‘new’ guns will start to show up as used and at bargain $$.

Be smart, and I know you are because you are doing your research and you’re a member of this forum, and do one of the hardest things us humans must do. That is to use your intellect, rather than emotion to make decisions. This emotion driven, must-buy-it-now activity is evidenced by the heard mentality of the current noboma feeding frenzy.

I take the advice, and share it with you, from an old drag racing friend who said, “Sometimes you just need to drive through the tire shake.” Stick it out, it will get better when the demand slows. If the market reacts, as it always does, by ramping up of production and inventories there will be a glut. Look at the price of oil!

Get what you need now, and wait for what you want. This time it will work, trust me, price is based only on demand.

cane

[​IMG]

18. DarrylS

DarrylS New Member

...Just to keep you updated on Taurus Warranty response and service...This PT99 is STILL at Taurus and absolutely no word as to when or IF it will be repaired or replaced. Last I heard some weeks ago was that they were waiting on parts...What
    "parts" are they waiting for if the slide was machined bad enough to make it look like it was going sideways when cycled???...I'm hoping the new "parts" is a new slide entirely ( doubtful ) or a new gun ( hopeless )...

...When it comes to Customer Service Taurus would be better at "chicken farming" IMHO...[​IMG]

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You need to go over here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/why-taurus-hate-10838/
    and let scrapper know!

20. 40CalComfort

40CalComfort New Member

They might tell you to go to hell because you were instructed not to use poor mans ammo "reloads" and I don’t blame them, and it's been proven that all the KB's from Glock's came from reloads.