Taurus 738 TCP .380

Discussion in 'Taurus Forum' started by wittmeba, Apr 7, 2014.

1. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

I shot one of these - Taurus 738 TCP .380 cal yesterday. It belonged to a girlfriend of our son.

It is very small and difficult for me with big hands to handle.

It failed to load (jammed) about 4 times within 25 rounds and was a little difficult to clear. The ammo seemed fine. We couldn't get the slide back to drop the un-expended round. Don't think I'd want this for a DC if it was life threatening.

The trigger draw seemed excessively long.

Pretty light recoil but I think I may recommend something different to her for future carrying.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  2. G30USMC

G30USMC New Member Supporter

my wife had one of these also, and was the same way...... the TCP, is really picky on ammo choice.

I traded it in and got her a Ruger LCP, she loves it

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

It is very hard to spot broken parts on a lot of 380 pistols. I found a broken extractor in a LCP. The part looked to be in good condition but the tip of the extractor was chipped. If the extractor had not jabbed me in the finger I wouldn't have noticed it was damaged.

4. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

We didn't do any investigative check on the pistol, just cleared it and shot it some more.

Thanks for the info...I'll pass it on.

5. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I had the same experience with a TCP. It failed to feed hollowpoints. No amount of ramp polishing and other housekeeping made it any better. I was disappointed. The grip felt just right (for its size), and the slide locked back on empty. I think there has been a real problem with this gun after reading so many similar comments. I don't know if Taurus has stepped up to fix it.

6. TX45

TX45 New Member

I have a D-series TCP that I bought a few months ago. It gave me no problems so far.

7. flbandit

flbandit New Member

I have one I carry regularly, and also shoot frequently. I've never had Ny problems with it.

8. bbertram

bbertram New Member

I also have a D series which is working out quite well. I'm using Fiocchi FMJ, Federal Hydrashoks and Underwood Xtp HP rounds without any cycling problems so far. I have about 150 rounds thru it, and going out in the morning to cycle some more. Anybody with problems should send them back for service. I know that A and B series were problematic until they were updated. I'm using mine to supplement my p238 and p938 when the situation is appropriate. The Taurus is lightweight and soft shooting. If you can get it to work, it's got a place in the arsenal.

9. jessicadillon79

jessicadillon79 New Member

I have a .380 myself and it does the same thing. Except the clip pops out after every round. Very irritating:mad:

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Probably more your issues than the handgun or the ammo used . The last two series have been really great little pistols as good at least as any other small 380. Don't know what you expected for a strike r trigger on it . TCP has one of the smoothest lightest trigger around. Maybe you'll leave it to your son and his girl friend to enjoy it and break it in . The two we have in the family fired every make and bullet type tried even handloads and only a large handed husband of one of my girls had any issues .

11. G30USMC

G30USMC New Member Supporter

Clip........;)

Probably because it is suppose to have a magazine, not a clip ;)

12. plaid239

plaid239 New Member

What do you mean by probably their issues than the handgun or ammo used?

13. indy36

indy36 New Member

I dislike that gun. I know two people that have them and both want to get rid of them. The reason, jams. It's that gun. People buy them because they are cheap, and guess what, you get what you pay for. Stick to the Sig P238, Glock 42, and even the Bersa. Those all work as they should with any ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

14. Cutlass327

Cutlass327 New Member

I have a "C" series, bought it used from a local store. I have shot it many times, and don't remember it ever FTF/FTE. I've used Blazer brass and aluminum, Critical Defense, and another SD ammo I cannot remember the brand of. I don't really try too many flavors of ammo, I just get what is inexpensive for target use.

15. de4nra

de4nra New Member

I have a B model that broke on the first round. Sent it back to Taurus on Monday, got it back on Thursday of the same week. Several hundred rounds later, no problems whatsoever. Usually carry it in warm/hot weather in the cargo pocket of my shorts in a DeSantis Nemesis. I keep Golden Sabers in it when I carry.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

16. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

This is what I don't understand - you buy a gun from a company that offers lifetime repair or replacement, and when it doesn't work perfectly, you lose money on selling it. I have a TCP that has 400 rounds through it. It took 100 rounds to work it in, but after that, it's been perfect. A friend that had an occasional FTF I encouraged to return to Taurus. He got it back in less Han a week and it performs flawlessly.

Take advantage of Taurus and their policy - it'll give you a custom gunsmithed firearm you'll be happy to own!

17. javelin225HO

javelin225HO New Member

I have a 738 TCP and the son in law has a 738 TCP. The only issue we had is when racking the slide with hollow points they sometime jam on the ramp, but when shooting hollow points never had an issue with a jam. We figured out that we were not racking the slide fast enough.
    I have well over 1000 rounds through mine with no FTF or FTE.
    I also have the pearce grip extensions that makes a world of difference.
    I have confidence carrying the TCP and that is what I carry 99% of the time in my pocket.

18. ecrawf099

ecrawf099 New Member

You like the Pearce grip extensions? Been thinking about that for mine.

Eric

19. TexasRog

TexasRog New Member

738 tcp

I also have the 738. It does require at least a 200 rd break-in. Mine was ammo sensitive, and actually a .380 round with hollow points is not very effective on targets with heavy covering...clothes. I carry mine everyday, and do depend on it. The feature I like is the last shot hold open, large trigger guard, and conceal-ability.

Attached Files:

20. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNtPHYwcDts&list=PLgNSGOEQko_MjOCGyqlMTiM2njdQQRbdg&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]