Taurus 709

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Gulfcity, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Gulfcity

Gulfcity New Member

Any of you guys know much about the Taurus 709 slim? 9mm CCW. I would almost consider it a pocket pistol. I'm just looking at it for consideration. Gun show is coming up in a few weeks and there may be a deal on one. I know there are alternatives but I want your opinions on this particular model.

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

If you look around this site, there have been a few posters talk about the 709. Seems (per their posts) that there may be a problem with the extractor causing the firearm to fail to eject. I don't own one and have never shot one, but it does make me think when those who have or do own one have issues. Just sayin...

3. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

I don't think I'd ever trust a Taurus for self-defense. Sure, there are probably some good ones, but any manufacturer with that many lemons is just unacceptable to me. Maybe look for a Kahr or Kel Tec instead?

4. Gulfcity

Gulfcity New Member

That's good. I appreciate the input. I like the feel and concealment of the 709. If I get one, I'll be sure to post my report and impressions. Another one I'm looking at is the Kahr pm40.

5. Thelt

Thelt New Member

I am interested in one as well. If I get one I will post my impression of it.

6. SevenShooter

SevenShooter New Member

I looked long and hard at the 709. In the end it just felt a bit awkward( I have small hands). I went with the 738 instead. I carry everyday, so the weight and size benefits are a plus.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

But.....but....its a..Taurus.

8. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Thats the only thing Taxachusetts got right regarding firearm laws. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't own a Taurus. :rolleyes:

9. Gulfcity

Gulfcity New Member

Alright then. What about the Kahr pm40.

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Nice little gun, pricey, and recoil is brutal. The Kahr PM9 is much easier to shoot accurately...

11. Gulfcity

Gulfcity New Member

Thanks NGIB. That's what most people have said on some online reviews. I'll post my amateur results. I like the size of the pm9 and pm40. Its that seasonal size I'm looking for. You need one for every occasion.

12. Thelt

Thelt New Member

I looked at one at the gun store today. I did not like it as much as I thought I would. It seems unbalanced to me like too much weight is in the slide and not enough in the grip. It was pricey too at $399....

13. Thelt

Thelt New Member

What do you guys think of the small 9mm made by Bersa?

14. TAP

TAP New Member

Stealing! :p:p

15. Biohazard2

Biohazard2 Member

Wow this treads is over 7 years old.