Taurus 709 Slim

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Sonic82, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Anyone know anything about this little pistol? I'm generally not a huge fan of Taurus, but I do know that have models that are better than others. I handled it in a store and was very impressed with ergos, streamlined appearance, size, caliber and fit/finish. It has a manual safety (which I want...I know, I know)....thanks.

2. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Never shot one but heard they have issues...

Not a fan of postage to "Brazil" either so I stay clear of Taurus products.

Tack

3. Renegade44

Renegade44 New Member

I know someone who just got one last week. She can't find magazines for it anywhere. She just took her ccp with it Saturday. She said it jammed a lot. I believe it was users error.

4. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Well...in many respects it is close to Shield or even a LC9. I just thought it was nice looking and intrigued a little.

5. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I have dry fired one in store, I too loved the ergo, want one bad, but can neither confirm or deny its reliability. As for manual safety, good for you!

6. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

My buddy swears by his for pocket carry and he shoots it plenty, he says it is a good gun. I like the look of them but have read many more poor reviews on them and Taurus in general to warrant buying one yet even though they are affordable, I will stick with my plan of picking up a Shield when one comes along unless I hear many good reviews on the new Taurus and their customer service which I have also heard to be hit and miss

7. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Well...for that type of pistol, you may be inclined to slip it in your cargo shorts when answering the door. That's a little too close to Fred and Barney without the added safety.. If you know what I mean.

8. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I do, and I'm a major advocate for use of manual safety.

9. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I also like the fact that the 709 doesn't have the mag safety like the LC9.

10. jeffxc

jeffxc New Member

I don't know why folks say the pt709 is less than excellent. I have one as my daily carry. I had never had a problem with it until I let a "gunsmith" attempt to put aftermarket sights on it. At that point it had continual FTE's until I sent it off to Taurus. It came back and hasn't had a problem since.

I like it so much I bought a second one for my wife.

11. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Just like with anything and everything produced, quality control can only go so far. There's bad Taurus, bad Colts, bad Sigs, etc... People just like to squeaky wheel whine and do so when there's a Wagon started against a less expensive brand. Gives people a feeling of elitism to mob mentality against things.

It's just like with the SNS guns and these "catastrophic" failures retorted. A couple of incidents are embellished into several by frantic naysayers using hyperbole to suit their personal agenda, aforementioned (reference elitism).

But hey, nobody's perfect. Lol

12. kalboy26

kalboy26 New Member

I have only shot 2. Both jammed, and 1 had a failure to fire (possibly ammo). I love the feel of them but got a bitter taste in my mouth after those experiences. I have heard they are better now though. My experience was a couple years ago.

13. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

I love my Taurus but there products are hit or miss

14. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I don't think I would put Taurus in the same class with Colt or Sig or even Ruger or S&W. I'm not saying these other companies don't on occasion put out a lemon but as a whole I would say the dependability of these companies in their tried and true models is second to none, as is most accounts of their customer service repairing the problem in a timely fashion. Taurus, while having some decent guns seems to still have some growing pains. That is not to say that everything they put out is crap but you cannot argue with reviews from first person accounts who have had problems either with quality or customer service. Bottom line is you get what you pay for, while some have good luck with the Taurus 709, like my friend I referenced earlier, there are plenty who have had problems as well. The way I see it is if I buy the Taurus for $279 dollars and it works out, good I got a good gun, but if it has problems I am not going to complain as I believe you get what you pay for and I took that chance in buying a more affordable gun, I could have bought a Ruger or a Shield and most likely not had a problem.

15. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Couldn't disagree more, i believe that Internet claims have been multiplied and skewed truth and fact. Accounts of issues have been blown out of proportion. Besides it was less an issue with defective items and more a problem with CS, as I remember it. But again, you believe what you want as we all do and no matter what you'll be happy.