Taurus 709 Slim

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by Franchise, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Franchise

Franchise New Member

Just picked up a Taurus 709 slim 9mm from Academy today. I did a little research and held one a couple of times and decided that this might be the answer to my CCW problem. It is very small and light and fits entirey in my back pocket. My research led me to choose this gun over a Kel Tec and the only real competition was a Bersa Pro UC 9mm which I think are good looking. Academy didn't have one but they did have the Taurus for $349. Came with two 7 rd mags and case. It has ajustable rear sight for wind and elev. You can use the saftey lock key that comes with it for sight adjustment. I took a Box of Winchester Nato FMJ 147 grain and Monarch 147 FMJ as well. This was my second DOA handgun. The first was a S&W Sigma 9mm which I quickly traded. The trigger was similar and it took me a while to get used to it. Overall, I'm pleased 'cause this little gun is far more accurate than I would've predicted. Into my second box of fifty, I could put all 7 rounds in a 4 inch group from 7 yards. Not incredible at all but very good for a little gun with me shooting. There were some FTF's and some stovepipes but I think a lot of it was due to the Win. NATO rounds which I think are just a touch longer than their normal white box. Also, being a tiny gun, it has some recoil. Not unlike a PA63 9x18, if you're familiar with those. I think I was guilty of limp wristing a few from the first box. The cheapy monarchs fed with nary a hickup. As I said, I think this will turn out to be a very good purchase. It is very concealable and far mor accurate than I would've believed. I think Taurus is a pretty good manufacturer. The gun I gave up to get this one was a Bersa .380 Thunder. Loved the gun, not one malfunction, but I'm not crazy about the .380 caliber in general and the cost of ammo made the switch a no brainer. I think with some practice, and a few hundred rounds run through it, the Taurus 709 slim will be an excellent CCW gun. It will never shoot like my CZ-75, but then again, nothing does.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Worthless............worthless thread without pics I tell ya!!!!

congrats on the pistol, hope you enjoy. Yes, not many 9mm's can compete with the cz 75b. ;)

3. Franchise

Franchise New Member

My wife hasn't taught me yet to use the digital camera. Hold off on congrats as my gun is now back at Taurus in Miami. If they fix it then great, if they don't stop the FTE's I'll have to get rid of it. Sad cause its very concealable and very accurate.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

How much did you shoot it before it went back?

5. Franchise

Franchise New Member

200 rounds. Federal, two types of Winchester and some S&B. Had about 20 failures.

6. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

By FTE what exactly was happening? Leaving the case in the chamber, stovepipes? I hate to ask, and I don't mean anything by it, but did you clean the gun before using it?

7. Franchise

Franchise New Member

No offense taken. I realize it's hard to guage the verocity of a complaint about gun quality if you don't first know the level of understanding of the complainant. I always clean my guns properly. Especially a new gun. Packing grease can cause problems but not if it is completely removed. I cleaned and degreased the whole deal including the mags and still malfunctions. I strippped and cleaned after 3 rounds through a box of 50. What it , this failure of the extractor causes stove pipes and FTF's, maybe another 2 or 3 out of 25 rounds. But, it all goes back to the extractor not grabbing the case or not getting enough of it to eject properly. I know someone will jump to accuse me of "limp-wristing". It's usually someone who has just learned this term that makes that accusation. No, I'm not limp-wristing and a decent semi auto shouldn't be that sensative. I've searched the intranet and this is a very common problem with the 709. What I've yet to see is if they will actually fix this common problem or say they fired it and had no problems.

8. Franchise

Franchise New Member

My reply got messed up and posted anyway. Long story short, the extractor isn't grabbing the spent case and tossing it. It's getting left in the chamber. As I said, 15 to twenty rounds in the second 100 rounds I fired. Gun very clean. Mags clean. Various good to fair ammo. No limp -wristing. No jerking. just failures to eject and stovepipes because of it.

9. sigp250

sigp250 New Member

I totally agree with your CZ pick but I outsell the Taurus 709 3 to one.

cost is generally a major consideration.

10. Franchise

Franchise New Member

Yeah, the 75 compact or Rami which were my first choices are $200 more than the 709. My wife will teach me how to post pictures soon. When the slim gets back, I'll see if they fixed it. If not, I think I'll trade it for the Bersa 9 uc.

11. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

You got that right!!! I've got over 5,000 rounds through my CZ75B, and I've never had a single problem.

12. fangus

fangus New Member

Ive read about the xtractor problems with the first releases of the 709, im interested in one ,how about a post when you get it back ,about taurus service etc thanks.

13. afi1

afi1 New Member

I was really interested in one of these for my wife after reading an article in both Guns & Ammo and The American Rifleman. We drove all over Augusta looking for one to handle, but only found one. Most shops couldn't keep them in the case. I really liked it for it's Glock-ness and the fact that it had a safety. The spring was just really tight for a 9mm, and my wife had trouble charging it. We settled on the Sig P238. I am interested in one though. Be sure and let us know what Tarus has to say about the problem. Also, forgive my ignorance, but what does DOA mean? Thanks.

14. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Pathology Term, DOA: Dead On Arrival

15. afi1

afi1 New Member

When used in reference to a trigger?

16. Franchise

Franchise New Member

DAO means double action only. Usually refers to a hammerless gun. I think I said DOA in my original post. Sorry. My first experience with DAO was a few years ago with a S&W Sigma. I traded it quickly on the CZ and my life has been different ever since. I thought it would be ok on a small, conceal carry piece and I was pleased with the accuracy. I've been away from the post for a while and I just got my Taurus back today. It was gone about 4 weeks and Taurus paid for Fed Ex both ways and of course the repair. Other than that I'd have to say their customer service is the worst I've ever dealt with. I haven't fired it yet but they claim, on a small work order sent back with my gun, to have replaced the extractor and fixed the problem. All things considered, I wish I had gotten the Bersa. I'll let everyone know if the problem is fixed after this weekend.

17. Franchise

Franchise New Member

I have been unable to get out. I will try to fire a few rounds this weekend. I'm very curious about hollow points and personal defense type rounds especially. Don't know yet.

18. Franchise

Franchise New Member

Taurus 709 slim repaired

Finally back from the range with my 709. Sorry it has taken so long. Taurus sent my gun back about 3 weeks ago after replacing the extractor. On, the phone, they acted as if they were shocked I was having problems. The one guy who actually spoke with me, that is. Any way, it seems to have fixes the problem. I fired six magazines with a mixture of two types of federal loads. 115 grain and 124 grain. I didn't shoot any fancy ammo as my firearms budget is about depleted for the winter. But, 42 rounds fired and nary a hiccup. I'm still struck by how accurate this little, DAO pistol is. I've only fired a couple hundred rounds out if it so it may still work in a little. But, as I stated in the original post, once I adjusted the sight for elevation, it hit the center of the target every time I fired correctly. It has a longer trigger pull than I'm used to but that is to be expected. So, it's not unusuall for my first shot to be a couple of inches low, but when I pay attention, I can put all 7 in a 2.5 x 2.5 group from 25 feet while firing all in 5 seconds. That's a lot better than I ever thought it would be when I bought it. It's just a lot more accurate than I would have imagined. Now that it is, appearantly, past its failures to eject and feeds quite smoothly, I would have no problem recomending it as a CCW. It fits the bill in every category. The only drawback is the 7 round cap. Which doesn't bother me but might be a problem for some. The "slim" wouldn't be as slim with a double stack mag. I say that is its only problem, but Taurus's poor,poor customer service is hard to get over. They did fix the problem and got the gun back to me in about a month which is not bad. But, if anyone here has spoken to them or dealt with them, I think you understand why I don't like 'em. Maybe I just like for my Customer folks to act like they care. Maybe I'm a sucker for a little PR but I've had much better dealings, personality wise, from CZ, Ruger, Bersa even S&W. While I would recomend the gun, all things considered, don't expect any warm fuzzies from the people who make it. Next, I'll try to budget for the Bersa uc 9. I've heard good things about both the full size and the compact and I know from my .380 that Bersa makes a solid gun and their customer service is fine. Well folks, sorry again that it took so long.