Taurus 38's & 357 revolvers, trustworthy or not?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Hatchet8, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Hatchet8

Hatchet8 New Member

Wanting some input on revolvers. Not trying to break the bank though.

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I've owned well over a dozen Taurus & Rossi revolvers-
    Had a problem with one Taurus & it was one of the few new ones i've bought-

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I like Rossi. Don't have much experience with Taurus, although they're really about the same thing from what I hear (I think Rossi revolvers are actually made by Taurus, but I'm not sure.)

I've owned one Rossi, in .357 snubbie, wish I still had it, sold it because I needed the money.

4. Hatchet8

Hatchet8 New Member

You prefer Rossi then? I'm just wanting to get an idea for a six gun I can trust. How long did they take to fix the Taurus & send it back?

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Taurus & Rossi are kinda like Chevy & GMC- I actually prefer Rossi over Taurus, can't give you a solid reason why tho-
    I did'nt have it fixed, just took it back & got a different gun (not a Taurus)-

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  6. Hatchet8

Hatchet8 New Member

Don't blame you at all!

7. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

I had a Taurus in the 80's and while reliable, it was not a paper puncher. I picked up SW 686 in 1989 and have never looked back. I highly advise you to wait until a SW is feasible.

GunsAmerica.com will send you a list of whatever you want on a daily basis and quality used guns can be acquired $350-600.

8. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

Taurus Judge. Love it. .410 PDX loads.

9. Gunslinger82

Gunslinger82 New Member

I have a taurus model 44 and I have never had a problem with it. I actually think the recoil is easier to handle than my redhawk. I wouldnt mind having a model 66.

10. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I have the Rossi .357mag. Goes bang every time. Very solid and reliable. It sits on the nightstand next to my bed, every night. And yes it is made by Taurus.

11. rugernut

rugernut New Member

I wouldn't trust one at all I had a 66
    7 shot after 20 or so rds it would lock up Sam with my model 94 22

12. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I have a Taurus 85 UL. It ain't a S&W or a Colt, but it works fine and the trigger is actually pretty good. This of course, after taking it apart and cleaning the bead blast media out of it. Thank you, Taurus QC.
    Taurus can be a dice roll. Snake eyes: It's a P.O.S. Boxcars: It'll serve you well forever. Or somewhere between the two extremes. I suppose mine is OK, considering.
    Explore the used market, there are a lot of good (OK, Better) choices floating around. You can have your cake and eat it too.

13. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

In another thread, a member said he worked in LGS selling firearms and the No. 1 returned gun was Taurus. It wasn't even close.

I understand that any mass produced weapon can be a lemon but you can reduce the odds by choosing brand w a reputation for quality and a customer service dept that actively responds to consumer feedback.

Have you seen any threads like this for HK or Sig ?

I bought a Ruger LCP in 2008. Was recalled. Ruger mailed me a postage paid box to return it and the turn around was about 8 days w a free clip & hat for my trouble. Performance has been excellent and I only paid $269.

14. Zodiac131911

Zodiac131911 New Member

I have a tauras ultralight it functions fine and is pretty accurate. I have a breakdown rossi rifle made by taurus

15. phburks

phburks New Member

I have a Taurus 605 .357mag. I've put at least a couple hundred rounds through it since I got it a few months and have had no issues with it.

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Who's Sam?
    He the one that has your mdl 94 :rolleyes:

17. rugernut

rugernut New Member

Sorry about that that was a Typo

18. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I have a model 66 6 shot, it was my dad had thousands of rounds through it. Haven't had any troubles out of it really ever, as most people should know everyone has different experiences with guns one taurus might have issues where another might have none just how life works. Really same with any gun company out there, but as far as taurus they've gotten a lot better over the years the just as good as some of the others out there.

19. Halwg

Halwg New Member

I have a Taurus 689 357 mag. I have owned for 20+ years. There have been thousands of rounds shot through it without a single problem. I'm looking at a Taurus 66 Stainless 4" barrel right now. I'm sure I'll buy it.

20. orangello

orangello New Member

My nephew and brother in law have a Taurus .357 & a one of the Raging Bull .44mags, and they have been very happy with them.

If money is tight, look at a used shooter. There is an article on here about how to buy a used revolver. If money is really tight, they have some police trade-in revolvers on J&G Sales: taurus .38 $150, S & W .357 like $450ish.