Taurus .357mag Tracker Opinions

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by dave88, Oct 20, 2011.

1. dave88

dave88 New Member

Hey guy's.

As a newbie to the site, I'd like to say, Great site and I'm looking forward to spending a bit a time here with you.

I own three semi-auto Taurus hand guns and I can't complain at all however, I have known of others whom has not been as lucky. I've been looking at buying a Taurus Tracker, 357mag. I've read some bad things about their barrels completely leaving the frame during firing due to fractures in the metal where barrel joins the frame.

I'd like to here from any of you with expierce with this gun or on Taurus revolvers in general.

Thanks in advance for your replys...!
    Dave

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Welcome to the forum. We have an "Introductions" area where we ask people to say "hello".

Taurus has a lifetime warranty. Don't worry about anything breaking until it does.
    I've had good luck with the Taurus revolvers, "iffy" luck with polymer framed.

3. Dropy

Dropy New Member

I love my Taurus Tracker.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

My closest friend has a Tracker .357 with I think an 8" bbl. He shoots some handloads that were intended for use in a rifle. I don't know what they are loaded with, but he gave me a box for my S&W and after the first 2 rounds I gave the rest of the box back. It hurt to shoot that stuff, and I had oil splatter out of my side plate. But his Tracker handles it just fine.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

dave88, why don't you jump over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself?

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Ditto
    Ditto

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

dave88, we're glad to have you here. Stop by the introduction area and let everyone know you're here.

I have not had good luck with Taurus so I steer clear of them. I know a number of people here have and love them but personally, I would pick up a full lug Ruger GP100 for about the same money and never look back.

8. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Ya I have a Taurus model 66 in 357 mag, love the gun it was my dads, after several years of carrying it firing it and just putting it through hell it still shoot straight haven't had one problem with it ever.

9. Dropy

Dropy New Member

All the GP100 i have found were 200$ more than the Taurus i just bought.

10. spittinfire

What price are the GP100s going for in your area?

11. orangello

orangello New Member

My nephew has been very happy with his Taurus Tracker in .357.

I found a GP100 for $400 & picked it up. It has a small blemish from oil beside the hammer.

12. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

With Taurus, stay away from:
    The ones built on Friday afternoon & the ones built first thing Monday.
    The ones built during Carnival.
    The ones built immediately before or after any major holiday or celebration.
    The ones built on the days the Quality Assurance guy was hung over.
    Aside for those, you should be fine.

In all seriousness:
    The quality can be hit or miss. Be careful.

13. dave88

dave88 New Member

Thanks to all of you for your replys. The Ruger GP100 is going for around 500 to 525 in my area however, the reason I'm set on the Taurus is due to the Muzzle break which really reduces muzzle flip. If any one has a suggestion of another make with this feature in the same price range feel free to let me know.

As I will be shooting my reloads with some being hot ,I just wondering about the trackers durabilty.

Dave88

14. spittinfire

dave88, I can find you a used GP100 for $400 or less and I'm only a couple of hours from you.

If you are set on the tracker....good luck. I would not trust them to eat a steady diet of hot reloads unlike the GP or even a 686.

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

While I agree that taurus quality can be spotty, I have seen with my own eyes a tracker that can handle hotter reloads than my S&W, and myself, can.

16. Overkill0084

So you were present when someone blew up a comparable S&W first, during head to head testing?

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

I was present when my S&W was beaten so hard that oil splattered out of my gun, the sideplate warped, my hand, wrist, and neck began to hurt. That happened after just 2 rounds.

The 8" Tracker kept booming right along, and has been for a few years/k's of rounds.

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have the Tracker in 44 magnum, and i really like mine. i do shoot some full magnum loads in mine and with the ported barrel, makes a lot of difference. i can even shoot magnum rounds one handed with it, i can't do that with an unported barreled pistol. IMO, the Taurus Tracker is a good pistol, but the Smith & Wesson and the Ruger are much better and cost more, plus the resale on comparable condition pistols, will be higher for the Smith and the Ruger. sometimes you can find a good Smith or Ruger used for the same price as a new Taurus. just keep your eyes open. i have owned several Taurus pistols in the past and several Smith's, i have had no problems with either.

19. Overkill0084

Warped the sideplate! Ouch. Sounds like those loads were on the far side of irresponsible. Was the gun forced into paperweight duty, or was it repairable?
    J, K L, or N frame?

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

It was this one, a model 65-2. I took it to a smith, who checked the rest of the frame, (the plate had more of a bulge right in the center), checked all the internals, and declared it good to go after he slapped on a new (used) plate that he had lying around. Total cost: $40. Most expensive reloads my buddy has made, he offered to pay for it on his own accord.

Attached Files: