Firearms Talk banner

taurus 24/7 compact .40 vs. S&W SW9GVE .40

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Stangman 
#1 ·
the taurus i can get new for $369 and the s&w i can get new for $349. Have shot both and can group with both. only difference in size really is the s&w is longer in the barrell and hold 5 more rounds. S&w trigger is a lil harder to pull but really those are the only differences i see. which one would you guys get? or reasons to totally stay away from one or the other?

#2 ·
I have never shot the Taurus model, but I do have a S&W 9GVE (9mm) that I have had for several years and it has been flawless. I think this model is vastly underated because so many people harp about the trigger pull. The VE Series takes care of the problems found on earlier Sigma Models. Mine is reasonably accurate, dependable with all types ammo, and easy to field strip.

#3 ·
Saw the SWVE's here for $299 with rebate!!!

Of the two, I'd choose the S&W.

#5 ·
The trigger on the Sigma is really pretty bad but it's a reliable gun. There are DIY mods out there that make the trigger tolerable. I modified the one I had and it helped quite a bit. You can't go wrong with S&W customer service either.

The only polymer Taurus I ever owned, was a NIB 24/7 Pro. After less than 100 rounds, the trigger wouldn't reset and it spent 11-12 weeks at Taurus being repaired. I had other guns but some folks do not. This personal experience has soured me on the Taurus line - which is sad as they make some interesting guns...

#6 · (Edited)
Taurus

I usually like the smithys, but on this one I have to say taurus 24/7. I have had a taurus pt92 and a .38 snubby and quality was awesome. The .40 is an awesome round and easily found in stores, so in my opinion the taurus is more appealing(mainly trigger). I also like the way it looks way better than the smith and wesson. Just my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.