Taurus 22GPRL .22 recommended?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by MAD King, Sep 18, 2011.

1. MAD King

MAD King New Member

Hi community,

I can get the Taurus 22GPRL .22 (PT-22) for a pretty good price and would like to have such a small pistol in situations where I am not able to carry my .40 S&W.
    Can you recommend this gun?

Thank you

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

Alot of people wont really recommend a 22 for a carry piece due to a 22 not being a large calibur or having a lot of power. And now a days you can get very small 380s or 9s that can fit in pockets. I have a kahr cw9 that pretty much disappears in my iwb holster and feel it would have good stopping power

3. MAD King

MAD King New Member

Thank you for your reply. I looked at the kahr cw9 online and I will check it out at my gun store.

4. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

I paid like 400 bucks for the gun itself and like 15 for an uncle mikes holster. The holster isnt really the best but it gets the job done. The gun has never given me any malfinctions and i practice with it regularly. It has no standard safety just a heavier trigger pull, took a few times to get used but now i know when it will fire its very consistant. Great gun for the money in my opinion

5. MAD King

MAD King New Member

What do you think about the Taurus 738 TCP .380? I read a lot of good reviews and you can get it for $300.

6. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I like my CZ82 very much for CC. Has been 100% reliable and easy to conceal.

[​IMG]

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

It seems like Taurus has a "crap shoot" reputation on here. Some are good and some are bad; but consistency is not a characteristic.

I have a S&W Bodyguard 380 and would highly recommend it. Others I would feel comfortable carrying would be the Ruger LCP, Kahr, Kel-Tec.

Although everyone needs a .22, I would not recommend carrying a .22lr.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  8. MAD King

MAD King New Member

wow, The S&W Bodyguard 380 looks awesome.

9. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

Like others have said taurus is kinda 50/50 i have had 2 taurus handguns one was awesome and the other jammed continuously. But yeah the bodygaurd and lcp seem to be really solid pocket pistols. I have shot the lcp personally not really a fun gun in my opinion but super reliable and small

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I don't think any of the pocket pistols would be fun guns. I put 200 rounds thru my 380 when I broke it in. I was ready to quit at 100. I don't carry it for a range gun, that's for sure.

A few things I like about my S&W 380:
    Light and easy to carry.
    Reliable as the day is long.
    Good double action trigger pull.
    External safety, although the DAO trigger negates the need for most.
    Easy take down.
    Locks back after last round.
    Integrated laser.
    And most of all... real sights that can be switched out. (I put a XS-Sight big dot on mine. See below)

What I don't like:
    In that light and thin of a package, even a 380 is an exhausting round to fire. I'd far rather play with my Xdm 40 at the range.

Attached Files: