Taurus 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by ScottA, Mar 9, 2011.

1. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

This could get nasty, but I'll risk it.

A comment from NGIB surprised me on another thread. What is your experience with Taurus 1911's?

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

At the right price they are a good shooting platform. I'm on my 3rd one and except for the crappy ambi safety they use - never had any trouble with them. Again, note that I caveat the recommendation by saying at the right price. My latest is a stainless beater that I paid $420 for and it came with 2 mags and a Blackhawk Serpa...

[​IMG]

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive owned a few taurus guns in the past but will prolly never buy another. altho i still want a PT99AF to replace the one i sold waaaay back that really was a good gun even if it was 9mm. if i ever get past the 9mm mental block i may get one. as for the 1911 versions i dunno ive only held a few at gun shows. the quality seemed a little variable from gun to gun.

i will second NGIB buyer beware dont buy sight unseen and inspect for fit and finish. taurus is a company that if you stumble across a good one they will last a lifetime but there are a LOT of lemons out there. caveat emptor.

4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Internet forums and most gun shops aren't typically the best place to get reliable and accurate opinions. There are too many Taurus-bashers and people who will pass off what they heard from their brother's, uncle's, neighbor's, bestfriend's, cousin as being the red-lettered truth. My recommendation would be to go to the Taurusarmed forum and get opinions from people who actually own the guns.

I bought a blued one and the finish was very poor. It would develop a film of rust if you didn't keep it coated with oil. I ended up trading it for the same gun in stainless. I've had that gun for probably 4 or 5 years now and it's been great. I've got 4500ish rounds through it without any problems. It's not a match grade gun by any means, but it's plenty accurate and reliable. For a low-cost stainless 1911, it would be my recommendation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Two of my friends own them and I have used them. No problems with them and they work well for what they cost. If you can get a stainless for $500 you are doing good imo.

6. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Wow lots of new taurus 1911 owners! My first 1911 was a taurus 1911 and still have it, got a good deal on a blued one, finish has worn slightly from lots of use and carry. There is a few thousand rounds through it and I havent had a issue with it even with the stock mags. I havent had a issue with the ambi safty either ( yet ). If the price is right it is a well made pistol.:)

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I would take exception to this statement. I feel that FTF is pretty good about policing their own site and keeping the haters seperate from the fanboys, even in the Glock threads.

And I am not going to send a member of this forum to any other gun forum for the simple fact that if it can be said over there, it can be said better here. By real members that post facts and aren't the ones running their mouths' about their brother's, uncle's, neighbor's, bestfriend's, cousin. :rolleyes:

JD

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The PT1911 is the only pistol that I've really liked from them. I've had a few others and they where fine I just never felt the love if that makes any sense.

The Two PT191's I bought I kept one and gave one to s friend. I've shot the crap out of mine and it's been rock solid other than an issue with the safety wanting to work out. I fit another one and wen to abusing it some more.
    [​IMG]
    As far as less expensive pistols go it's really hard to not like these.:)

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

FWIW, the gun shop where I worked stopped stocking any Taurus firearms at all. There were entirely too many complaints and poor customer service on the part of Taurus.

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The established members here do not spread gossip that they read on the interwebz somewhere or heard from their uncle's second cousin. Looking at the posts in this thread, all of us have first hand experience with the gun in question so I think we're qualified to offer our opinions. Actually, the last place I'd go for honest advice and information is a site dedicated to a particular manufacturer - as that's where the fanboys tend to hang out.

I am not a Taurus fan in general as I have OWNED a lemon or two - but I did give their 1911 (as well as their Beretta clones) a thumbs up if you get one at the right price. Also note that ScottA is a Supporting Member of this forum as are all but one of the people that provided a response - we trust each other to be honest in our assessments...

11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

If that's the case, I look forward to a long-lasting relationship with this forum. I participate on a lot of different boards and I've yet to find one where brand-bashers were held in check. I haven't been participating here long enough to know that yet, so bare with me while I get acquainted with everyone here.

12. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Ya got a Glock do you? :p ;)

13. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

I've got two. Both are blued. One is an AR version which has the tactical rail. I don't carefor the rail to much but its not a problem. My base 1911 is currently a build project that's getting stuffed with E.G.W and Wilson Combat parts. The tactical version is all factory and honestly the only complaint I have is F.T.F on really wide mouth hollow points. As far as price, you cannot beat it. Just because its Taurus doesn't mean its junk. Taurus is coming along and getting better. I had a 24/7 and liked it alot. The only reason that it was sold was to fund another project.

14. kansas45

kansas45 Member

I had a blue PT1911. I sold it to a friend that just had to have it. This was after I had put a little over 10,000 rounds through it without any trouble to speak of. He let's me see it sometimes & I'm hapy to say that the pistol is still running strong. About the first of this year I bought another PT1911. This one is Stainless, chamberd in 38 Super. It liked to throw brass in every direction except where I wanted it to, but a little file work on the ejector & a recoil spring change fixed that. My only other Taurus is a 45 ACP Tracker, S/S with a 6 1/2" barrel that I have owned for about five years now. Good shooting revolver. I'm glad to hear that other folks have had good luck with their Taurus firearms and actually like them! :)

15. DinkyDauDon

DinkyDauDon New Member

I've punched a couple thousand rounds through mine with no problems.

[​IMG]

16. cuba

cuba New Member

Pt 1911

I bougt mine in 2008 and it's run about 10,000 trouble free round, all the fire control are stock mim, except for a few mode alexander MSH wit magwell, shortend and countersunk slide stope pin and under cut trigger guard also installing what I like to call a travis reduction system that include changing out the 19# MSH spring to 23#and replacing the firing pin stop with an EGW oversized stop with 1/16 radius
    [​IMG]

17. Robertlamont80

Robertlamont80 New Member

I have ran somewhere between 3,000-3,500 rds through mine and never had a single problem. It is pretty accurate and a very reliable 1911 for the money.

18. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

That is about the time to consider it almost broken in. :)

19. parinoid54

parinoid54 New Member

With fear of being labeled someone's second hand ill-begotten cousin, I offer this. On other threads, I have mentioned of purchasing the Clark Custom 460 Rowland drop-in conversion for the 1911 (mine is a S&W). In trying (and failing) to install its 24lbs recoil spring and injuring my trigger finger-nail, I gave up to complain to a couple of my friends. One, who owns and swears by his Taurus 1911, asked if he could try the 460 in his gun. I told him that Clark says they do not recommend its conversion in the Taurus, to which he said he has fired hundreds of rounds through it, including +P with no problems.

Okay; he paid me for my Buffalo Bore ammo and off we went. :rolleyes:

On his fifth round, his hammer broke in two, and must have broken deeper inside, as his slide froze back, and we could not get it to move forward.

I do not condemn Taurus on this one incident, but I do give credit to Clark for saying do not use the 460 in the Taurus. Obivously, there is a reason.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011