Firearms Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I did my first field strip on a 1911:) I did it on Dad's Taurus PT1911-AR. I followed a video I found on Amsdorf's youtube channel of his Springfield 1911 where he went step by step on how to do it. He mentioned he changed out the Full Length guide rod for a G.I. guide rod, is this the size the G.I. is:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/28...-recoil-spring-guide-rod-1911-government-blue

Also, these Taurus 1911's have a recoil spring plug that looks like this:

Is it possible to install one like this:

With the smaller guide rod, and what is the benefit of this? I have the O.K. to do it so this'll be the first mod.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Some folks like a guide rod some folks don't. About the only demonstrable difference I've seen a guide rod make is to add forward weight to reduce muzzle flip slightly. Other than that all the guide rod seems to do is interfere with normal field stripping without special tools.

Yes a GI guide rod and plug can be installed to replace the full length guide rod.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I was planning on doing the same thing to my PT1911 AL, but it ain't broken, so why fix it? It's to the point now that its 100% reliable so I'm not gonna change any internals.

If you want a 'G.I.' style guide rod, get a 1911A1, thats my plan.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nother reason I want to change out the Recoil Spring Plug is to make it easier for dad to be able to get a finger on the plug to push it down, with the hole in the recoil plug and a full length guide rod it's a bit of a hassle pushing down the plug with huge fingers. That's why I field stripped it, he couldn't get his finger on the plug and turn and the barrel bushing, I had to take over and use two fingers while he turned the barrel bushing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nother reason I want to change out the Recoil Spring Plug is to make it easier for dad to be able to get a finger on the plug to push it down, with the hole in the recoil plug and a full length guide rod it's a bit of a hassle pushing down the plug with huge fingers. That's why I field stripped it, he couldn't get his finger on the plug and turn and the barrel bushing, I had to take over and use two fingers while he turned the barrel bushing.
Try using a bushing wrench, the PT1911 should have come with one, as far as the difference between the two, they both perform the same function, most modern pistols come with a FLGR like the one on the PT1911, and with the FLGR you can remove the slide with out removing the bushing or the FLGR, by just pulling the slide back to line up the take down notch and pushing the slide stop pin out, and it will separate for you, also another advantage to the FLGR is that it adds weight the the front of the slide and reduces some recoil inertia, the advantages to the GI system is that you can chamber a round with one hand by placing the front slide on the edge of a table and pushing the slide back with no interference from the guide rod, which you can probably accomplish the same results with a FLGR by hooking the back sight on your belt and racking the slide, ether systems will work efficiently for you.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I replaced my Taurus rod with a GI size and replaced the plug with one you can push with your thumb. Both are drop-in parts and I've not experienced any change in performance. It's just a matter of personal choice. If you and your dad like it, go for it. Keep your original parts though.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Try using a bushing wrench, the PT1911 should have come with one, as far as the difference between the two, they both perform the same function, most modern pistols come with a FLGR like the one on the PT1911, and
with the FLGR you can remove the slide with out removing the bushing or the FLGR, by just pulling the slide back to line up the take down notch and pushing the slide stop pin out, and it will separate for you
, also another advantage to the FLGR is that it adds weight the the front of the slide and reduces some recoil inertia, the advantages to the GI system is that you can chamber a round with one hand by placing the front slide on the edge of a table and pushing the slide back with no interference from the guide rod, which you can probably accomplish the same results with a FLGR by hooking the back sight on your belt and racking the slide, ether systems will work efficiently for you.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun
Another reason I like them- Plus if the are fitted right you can still simply push in the "plug" & turn the bushing to remove just like the GI setup - As been mentioned if its tight just use the proper bushing wrench :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts