Tater Guns

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by dwhawkman, Aug 1, 2010.

1. dwhawkman

dwhawkman New Member

I havent seen anything about "Tater Guns" here. I have shot a Tater Gun before and it was a great experience and really a life changing event. Please share your memories. Thanks

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Don't remember my experience being life changing but I have shot them. We learned a few tricks and were able to launch a spud 300+ yards.

3. dwhawkman

dwhawkman New Member

300+ Yards

Launching a spud 300+ yards!! I would have liked to have seen that.

4. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Maybe we're talking two different things..

I've fired a "tater mortar", that got range.

I had a "tater pistol", it fired pellets you got by jamming the barrel into a potato, short range, but suprisingly accurate.

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

You guys ever try freezing the spud? Stuff it in the pipe, pull it back out and then freeze it. GREATLY increases the range. Don't let it hit anything important though.

6. urban

urban New Member

We made one out of some abs pipe at my station. Set it up with a flint sparker and it worked like a charm... turns out though, that if you fill the space up behind the potato with 100% o2, you can just go bat**** crazy with the amount of fuel you use and it adds a whole new level of bang to your potato gun.

7. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Spud guns ahh the good old days

8. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Oh heck yeah! the good old days.......we would fill it up with Aqua Net.......for some reason has to be Aqua Net hairspray(ha ha ha)and let it rip.
    We put a hole right thru the neighbors fence.....not good........:eek:

9. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

My boss shot me with one

Iworked in a warehouse louding 18 wheelers' My BOSS came around the corner and shot me, Hurt like HELLLL !!!. What can u do u need the job, suck-it-up and take it. potatoe's f##king HURT.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

10. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

All hail the great Spudzoka! Destyroyer of fences, Hwy. bill boards,and any other flimsey built targets.

Back in the early 1990's we built a couple of spudzokas out of ABS pipe and used a push button igniter from an old gas BBQ to lite off the WD-40 used for propellant.

We built a fairly good size chamber for the propellant which created a pretty good muzzel velocity and this thing would shread on old abandoned plywood backed Hwy. road sign at distances just short of 75 yards.

One note on propellant: WD-40 works real good and so does Aquenet hair spray. Either worked but not quite as well as the WD40 or hairspray. Also loading the combustion chamber with alot of propellant is no good. You just need a little bit to get the best results. Something about having a good amout of oxygen to go with the propellant to get that real good BANG.

White and red potatoes work but if you really want that special potaote projectile that tears things up the Idaho Russet potatoe works the best.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My oldest son and his buddy built potato guns. It had to be Aquanet Hairspray because it was the cheapest and had the highest alcohol content, which is what exploded upon sparking with the igniter. One of the maintenance men where I worked hosted a potato gun party on his farm every year. Everyone who had potato guns would bring them and they'd shoot the spuds out into the farm field and see who'd get more distance. Everyone would bring a dish to pass and the host would rent a 'beer truck' that had draft dispensers built into it, three on each side. I'd say about 200 people would attend in the course of the whole day (not all with potato guns, though). At night he'd pour gasoline on a HUGE bonfire. He'd pour a strip of gas from the bonfire to a distance away, light the strip and we'd all watch the fire go up the strip then explode into the bonfire pile. He'd also explode plastic bags of acetylene gas in the fire. :eek: He finally got married and had children and the parties ended after that. He was one crazy guy.