Tarus Judge

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by trainman, Sep 2, 2013.

1. trainman

trainman New Member

I have wanted a Judge for a long time, and finally did it. I haven't fired it yet, but am curious about all the .410 ammo out there. It appears that it can be used as a great defense gun based on the variety of ammo. I saw a Youtube video where the guy tested a lot of loads. I think I like the #4 shot for defense purposes.
    I like more smaller shot for snakes and fooling around, but I am just curious what others think.

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I would buy a variety you think would do well, take some card board out at different distances and "pattern" your revolver. See what's a good group at a "typical" HD of SD distance. I like a #4 and larger, however if all I had are "target" loads, I would use as well.

3. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Oh look a Taurus Judge thread!
    [​IMG]

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

#4 shot leaves a gruesome but shallow wound. If you encounter snakes that is the load to shoot. For 2 legged snakes you want 45 cal or 410 slugs. I wouldn't be real happy with a 2 1/2" slug. I have seen kids shoot deer with 3 1/2" slugs. They killed the deer but a 20 ga would have been much better. Most of the time we needed a dog to find the deer. Young kids often shoot at the center of the deer. There aren't many happier days in a young mans life than the day his face is smeared with deer blood from his first kill.

5. mdauben

mdauben New Member

Birdshot is a poor choice even in full sized shotguns for SD. I would prefer .45 Colt JHP or .410 slugs for SD in your gun. I've seen testing suggesting even buck shot may be a marginal choice when fired from a revolver so I would not even consider anything smaller than 000 buck in a Governor/Judge if I decided to go that way. ;)

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Stick with the .45 Colt.

7. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

They make some 410 defense loads but no matter how you slice it there is only so much room in a 410 shell for shot.

You could do slugs, but I don't know why you'd pass on just shooting .45 LC instead.

If I were using a Judge I'd have it loaded with .45 LC unless I was snake hunting.

8. trainman

trainman New Member

That's all good advice. I was just thinking that the odds would be better with a bunch of large pellets, than just one slug. Clearly 45 would be better. This guy on Youtube, Hickock did an extensive test, just as was suggested here. He got good penetration with #4, but above that, not so much. So that's why Im thinking #4. Lots of pellets, so a better chance to hit a bad guy than just a quick shot with a slug or .45. I have shot snakes for years with a .410 shotgun, and 8 1.5 shot turned them into very small pieces.

9. rurak

rurak New Member

They make some nasty .410 self defense loads. I saw one from hornady that had a slug followed by two .410 sized ball bearings ........ looked bad for whoever was on the business end. I am buying a smith and wesson governor and I was kinda suprised at the price of .410 ammo.

10. WillWork4Ammo

WillWork4Ammo New Member

Whats the recoil like on those bad boys?o_O

11. Lanniepig

Lanniepig New Member

Winchester PDX1 isn't bad if you don't have 45 Colt ammo.

12. trainman

trainman New Member

I am trying to locate as many different types of .410 ammo I can. I had a bunch of 8 1/2 I used with my shotgun. I found some 000 shot last week, and my walmart has lots of #6. It is a little scarce. Eventually I will do a test to see what I prefer.