Tarus Double-Action .38 special/.357 caliber magnum

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by brinky, Mar 11, 2013.

1. brinky

brinky New Member

Looking for a Tarus Double-Action .38 Special/.357 caliber magnum all black with rubberized grip.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Okay.
    Why are you looking at it? Are you going to buy, trade, sell? Any specs?

3. brinky

brinky New Member

Buy! for sure. shot one last weekend, now im hooked.

4. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Look all you want, but keep your distance.

The money saved buying a Taurus isn't enough. Spend the extra and get a Ruger or a S&W.

5. brinky

brinky New Member

Would you say its not a good magnum or just not up to par with a Ruger or S&W?!

6. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

Taurus makes a fine firearm from my experience. They aren't Smith & Wesson quality, but they are still great for the price point.

7. brinky

brinky New Member

Yeah thats what id looking for and i mean i shot one this weekend and loved it, and i mean if i could save some money for another build im doing that'd be ideal.

8. shouldazagged

shouldazagged New Member

If you're looking for a gun that costs less than a Smith or a Ruger--and those are definitely the best makes--take a look at Rossi. The only one I ever owned, a .38 Special snubby, was a fine little gun for the money, and lately I've seen a lot of posts on various forums from people who own their .357's and think highly of them.

I'd still suggest that you spend the extra for a Smith or Ruger. Good used ones can be had for a good deal less than new cost, even in today's insanely inflated panic market. I think you'd find them better than what you shot.

9. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

You are going to get different opinions. If you are hooked and like the gun, buy it! You should be comfortable firing, accurate with shooting and trust it with your life.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I don't like any large caliber revolver with a rubber grip. The gun is supposed to rock in your hand. I would consider it if you can buy a wood or smooth polymer grip. I thought the houge monogrips were the cats meow. After a month or so I noticed my accuracy was going downhill. I thought I needed to practice more. Finally I found a nice set of Rosewood grips for my Blackhack. My shooting instantly got better. Now I have 2 lightly used monogrips for sale.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The grip shape and angle on singles and doubles are different. I would never put a rubber grip on a single but they work well on doubles. Wood is nice though. I have not had any problems with the Taurus revolvers unlike the semi's but they are not up to the quality of the Smiths or Rugers. I have seen some near new Smith 686 revolvers around $600. I recently passed up a very nice 6" 686 for $585. I wanted a 4". Try and find a gun show near you. I have seen some nice 629 44mags well under $600. Everyone is on a semi kick and revolvers are being neglected.

12. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I would describe mine as "adequate." Not great, not fine. Thankfully, however, not horrible.

I think setting the bar a bit higher than "adequate" shouldn't be unreasonable. Opinions vary of course.

13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Brinky

I do love the S&Ws but have to be honest! I have owned a few Taurus Revolvers and Pistols and they are great weapons for the money. Not a S&W but nothing at all wrong with them! Good Price Good Quality!
    However to share some insight with you! Tarrus, S&W K Frame and others are not lent to a steady diet of excessive full power 357 Magnum Rounds being put through them. But that brings up the other great feature of that caliber. You can shoot 38 S&W Special ammunition through them for everyday plinking, target shooting and tactical practice. Also you can even us the 38 Special. target wad cutters like we use to use in LE Competition a few years back! So which ever way you go, I am sure you will like your new weapon and certainly enjoy it.:D

14. brinky

brinky New Member

Thank you all for the information on the taurus ive been looking at for a while now but i have decided to post-pone my purchase of buying a .38 or a .357 caliber magnum and bought a FN 5.7 pistol, but i am still hoping to get a magnum in the future!

15. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I'm not a Taurus fan, but one of my favorite guns is a very old model 82 with a 4" barrel. It's beat up, ugly, heavy and shoots like a dream. I don't have an issue with any Taurus revolvers, I wouldn't touch their autos. I've seen too many disappointments at the range. I don't know which revolver you shot, but it will serve you just fine. Just because you can spend more money on a gun, doesn't mean you're getting better. good luck

16. PGM

PGM New Member

Im new to this group. My gun buying goes in all directions.I own and shoot a taurus 2-617129 (357 7shot)And a new mod.444 smith+p.If you want something truly wild, the airweights are it.I swear it kicks as bad as the 357 but feels like a toy.

17. orangello

orangello New Member

If you are looking to save money when you buy, look for a lightly-used Ruger GP100. Mine was just shop-worn and cost me $400.

My BIL and my nephew have both been satisfied with their Tauri; i don't own one myself.

Regarding Rossi vs. Taurus, I think Taurus bought Rossi several years ago (1997ish), so this shouldn't matter much on new revolvers.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  18. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

Sweet gun. Good luck finding ammo for that any time soon.

19. brinky

brinky New Member

just got 2k hollows points for the 5.7 :)

20. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I've always like FN five seven, but in the future taurus don't make bad guns. My old man had a model 66 for years then he gave it to me and I have it. I have no clue how many rounds have been through the gun still has all the original parts on it the only thing that I might have to replace is the wooden grips they're not in the greatest of shape but thats from years of use and carry.