Targetvision remote camera

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by dc9mm, Apr 8, 2018.

1. dc9mm

dc9mm New Member

RJF22553 likes this.
  2. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow... Very cool.

However, I need the exercise of walking to my targets

3. dc9mm

dc9mm New Member

Thats a lot of exercise when your sighting in a scope or checking group sizes of a new load . I haven't yet decided if I will buy one. Reviews look good on it. Either that or I have to buy a spotting scope which will cost me as much or more to see 5.56 at 300 yards.

IowaShooter likes this.
  4. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

electronics tech since the first day of fourth grade. I will build my own, run it off solar. right idea, wrong price.

if you are an amateur radio operator you can transmit on cable channel 58, receive it with any antenna equipped TV. I have all the gear, just never thought to assemble it this way.

JTJ likes this.
  5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Microadventure; I was wondering if an inexpensive wireless security camera could be set up. Most work on wifi which is a problem at the range although my cell phone can create a hot spot. Concerned about data usage but I dont see much difference using an ap and the commercial cameras. I am not up on the electronics.

6. JTJ

Caldwell has one that will work up to a mile in the $300+ range. Uses an app. Available on Amazon for $315.

7. dc9mm

dc9mm New Member

I did find a web page on how to build one but it looks beyond what I could figure out on my own. If there was an easy way I would build one but you have to know What to buy then How to put it together. Plus a TV reception would be a problem. Wifi easy with tablet or laptop. Most laptops and my android tablet doesn't have TV reception.

Oh that other camera system seems to have a lot of bad reviews. Hundred less but not worth it if it doesn't work well.

Iam going to try out a spotting scope first. NOT a high dollar one. If I have to buy a high dollar one then (600 or more) iam just going to buy the targetvision camera system.

8. dc9mm

dc9mm New Member

I looked at the Caldwell one too. More complex to setup. What I really disliked was how close the camera has to be to target. The Targetvision the one a guy who did review of it had his at 16 feet away. Said at 16 it was a little grainy but had screen grab pictures and it looked pretty good to me. Easy to see bullet holes. My range is only 300 yards so dont need farther transmission. But thats a plus for the Caldwell. If they added a better camera that could be set at least 10 feet away I would get that one instead of the Targetvision one.

9. JTJ

I have a small Bushnell spotting scope that works well at least for 100 yards. You can order a Bushnell Trophy Extreme 16-48X50 for $110 on Amazon. The 20x60X65 goes for $257 and would probably be better at 300 yards. Mine is probably 30 years old so this probably a little better than mine. I would not go cheaper than that. The scopes dont need batteries and you can use them to glass for hunting. The cameras are nice that you just look at a screen.
    Also looked at camera By STS for $250 on Amazon.

10. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Just another gizmo to waste money on. Anyone that takes hunting or Long range shooting seriously,already has quality scopes and spotting scopes for the job.

11. dc9mm

dc9mm New Member

Well just get back into shooting again and I have no decent spotting scope. So trying to decide between the two. I just dont have the money to lay down a grand for a quality spotting scope. And even a grand I see reviews that say spend more money on a better scope. Camera system $350 range, Quality spotting scope 800, 1000?? more? Sure more useful but at a price out of my reach for this summer.

12. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

instant documentation on video. camera>frequency agile modulator>tuner>DVR.

some of us are deep into gizmos. some of us have buckets of all of the above. some of us could assemble this from spare parts we already paid for or took off defunct projects.

JTJ likes this.
  13. Biohazard2

Biohazard2 Active Member