Targets

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by brasskicker, Jun 25, 2012.

1. brasskicker

brasskicker New Member

What kind of targets do you like to shoot? Paper, explosives, milk jugs, dueling trees, spinning, etc.?

2. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I only use paper targets when I am sighting in a rifle or testing a load for grouping. I prefer to shoot at objects for regular fun shooting. I like plastic bottles filled with water. I think I will try a gallon bottle filled with Jello next.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I usually punch paper. Spinning targets are fun. Never tried the exploding. My favorite is moving edible fuzzy targets.

4. brasskicker

brasskicker New Member

Word of advice: for the exploding targets stand back at a distance you think is safe... and back up another 50 yards lol.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If I ever spring for them I'll keep that in mind. Lol

6. vincent

vincent New Member

Used these last week...homemade, @ 25-35 ft, 9mm, .40, .45... (didn't feel comfortable shooting steel any closer than that) Before and after...nevermind the duct tape...might have had a couple of flyers...:eek:

We have a clay tree set up @100yds for the .22's

We're also set up for paper targets too, but it can get a little plain after a while...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  7. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

Does anybody know any good long range steel rifle targets?

8. vincent

vincent New Member

Find a steel farication shop, they usually have scraps lying around and will probably just give them to you...that's what we did...:cool:

9. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

Well I made some from scrap steel laying around our farm but I don't have anything that will withstand a .308

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

11. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I like steel and IDPA silhouettes.

12. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Gongs at even intervals like 100, 200, 300, 400, & 500yds.
    Shooting them with steel core ammo in the evening or at night w/lights is a lot of fun.
    The steel core makes a lot of sparks when it hits the gongs so you know if you have hit or not even before you hear the steel gong ring.;)

13. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

The operator I work with built an AR-15 a few months back and, although I hate to admit it, it was the first one I had shot and it is scary accurate at 300.

First mag I put through it was at an 8 inch gong and I hit it 28 out of 30 shots at 300 yards. (I like shooting gongs for fun shooting).

We also shot at several travel size shaving cream bottles with his m&p 15-22 at 200 yards and it was surprisingly accurate. Never stretched a .22 that far before.

But as I said I like the gongs, miscellaneous exploding targets such as tannerite or shaving cream and water bottles, paper, and a buddy of mine works for a place where he can get manicans and hard styrofoam heads.

14. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

15. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Don't you need special tools to remove those things ? I heard the Secret Service welds those puppies in place before a Presidental visit.

Wonder who the poor SOB is who has to pry them lose again. :eek:

Then again, any job is a good job in this economy !

JPat - good to see your alive, well and still pissing in somebody's Cheerios :D

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

To me, heavy steel gongs that will handle .308 and .30-06 ball are ideal. You can both see and hear hits. These need to be made rom hard, heavy guage steel.

I have them from 6 inch for 100 yard shooting, to 12 inch for long range.

The downside is they;re HEAVY!