Targets?

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by pagj17, Jul 11, 2010.

1. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Since I can't really figure a better place to put this,
    What do you guys do to post your targets. usually I use steel stakes... but My 8mm And AR kinda... bent 2 of 'em and yeah. My friend's and I kinda have an idea in which I use something such as safety wire or Eye Hooks to suspend the target from a PVC frame with stakes holding it to the ground... what about ya'll?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I use a PVC base that has a "T" to hold 1"X1"X5' boards. Holes drilled in PVC allow it to have spikes for anchoring.

3. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Hmmmm. Sounds like it might work. Can't quite envision it but... I think i like how it sounds... hmmm

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Bird's eye view...H... Use 4 "T's". 2 for the center line of PVC and 2 upright for the boards. Have the rear projection a little longer than the front.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Any two vertical uprights- with an upper and lower crossbar. I use rebar, but you could use PVC, 2x2s, etc. Wrap with chicken wire. Attach tagets to chicken wire with clothespins.

Of course, any of the video store stand-up cardboard advertising figures of Jane Fonda, Barbra Striesand, or Michel Moore do just fine. Do not use John Wayne or Chuck Norris- or they'll kick your ***.

6. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

What he said but you can also have the bird's eye view of a rectangle or "U"

Option for stake, you can also stabilize it with sandbags or rocks. You don't have to haul sandbags with you...just the bag and a folding shovel. Fill it on site and dispose content when done.

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I built frames from 2x4 with scrap paneling or cardboard about 24"x36". I stable man targets to that I use those for times pistol drills. Three targets with two rounds in each in under 6 seconds. Change the order of what target when and it can get pretty fun trying ot score the target well.

22 rifle (well..most rifles) I have big pieces of cardboard and depending on the distance will glue aspirins, peppermints or other fun little things. Aspirin at 50 yards with a 22 is a lot of fun. The peppermints at 100+ (depending on the rifle) gets challenging as well. I have a bunch of scrap roof tin that I like to tape x's on to use at ranges out to 200 yards. That's about as long as I can get here at the home range. It's pretty hilly around here and getting real long shots just doesn't happen much unless you move a lot of dirt.

If you run into any of those for same signs they use in front of houses those make great stands. I have a Realtor friend that gave me a few older kind of rusty ones that where going to get pitched. My favorite targets though are old dead hard drives. I work on computers adn usually always have a stack of them laying around. An AR will punch a hole right through one and not make a mess...Well..Too much a mess.:D

8. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

C3 Shooter.... I like your Idea(with a capitol I) on Hanoi jane. I lost me a cousin in Vietnam... my grandma's still torn up over it 40 something years later... I didn't even get to meet him(I'm just 20 or so years too young) so she pisses me the **** Off. Same with Comrad Moore.

and Me shoot The Duke? hahahahaha that's funny.

thanks Danf_fl, Drum Junkie, and Poink.

Not sure what I'm gonna do... but I'll def incorporate the ideas...

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

My dad gets transmissions shipped in all the time so we just stand the pallets upright and tape or staple targets to them. A pallet lasts a long time and when you're done blasting it, just burn what's left and grab a new one.

10. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Nice... I could always "borrow" some from the former Wal-Mart of mine:) NOT lol.
    I think I'll just mak an upside down, flat bottomed U for hanging the targets, and an I for the base with It attaching to the "stalk" of the I

11. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

Pallets for me too. We used to use PVC stands, but my sister inevitably shoots our target stand half an hour in....
    I've made a deal with our Coke/Pepsi/7up reps where I'll be marginally less hostile towards them in return for a never-ending supply of pallets to shoot. :D

12. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Why would you be hostile towards the Coke man? He's just bringing you a soda....

13. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

Sales reps are the tricky, deceitful snakes, to be treated with suspicion and scorn. Amongst those of my profession, they are affectionately referred to as "vendor scum.":)

14. kansas45

kansas45 Member

I weld 1 1/2" x 4" pipe to the back of my steel targets & mount them on two "T" posts. I have my own range at the farm & can leave them or move them as I want. I also use 1 1/2" PVC & 1" pieces of wood to make target stands for. Just staple some cardboard to the wood & then staple your target to the cardboard. You can make them any size you feel like. The last one I made, I put QuickCrete in the base so the wind don't blow it over. Lastly, A swing set type frame made from PVC will allow you to hang any size of steel plate from a couple of lenghts of chain. I have some 1" & 2 1/4" round 3/8" & 1/4" steel along with some 3"x5" & 5'x7" hung the same way. I set these from 25 to 150 yds & use them for the .22 LR.

15. SHIFTY

SHIFTY New Member

I was thinking of some target designs the other day, and I decided that I wanted to make some knock down silhouettes for when my friends and I go to the desert. Basic design in my head would be to weld a metal silhouette to metal pipe (length 36'' to 48'') to a base, when standing, the target would be at a 90º angle . Now I haven't decided how to build the base yet, but attached to the base will be a "stopper" angled at 45º so the target would indicate being hit without falling all the way down. For the hinge part I'm probably gonna weld a small flat chunk of steel to the bottom of the pipe on the backside of the target and just use a heavy duty door hinge. I'm just trying to make it reasonably light weight and portable without sacrificing durability and sturdiness.
    P.S. The reason for the "stopper" idea is so that i can attach some 550 paracord and pull the targets back to the ready without having to go downrange every time.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  16. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

I like that Idea...
    For the hinges, you might want to look into gate or door hinges that are spring activated, or maybe.... use an airsoft spring(like 12 bucks)...Hmmm... I love it when i get to plotting...

17. SHIFTY

SHIFTY New Member

That's not bad! Hhhhhmmmmmm.... back to the think tank....

18. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Yeahh... if you've seen a camper, those Pnuedrolic lifter thingamabbs? I'm thinking of making a spring type instead... because using 2 or 300 yards of parachord's not an option lol

19. SHIFTY

SHIFTY New Member

I was more than likely going to use the targets to run pistol drills, but now that I think of it, I do have about 200 yds of paracord lying around. :)

20. VR4

VR4 New Member