Targets

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by jackrich3, Dec 21, 2018.

1. jackrich3

jackrich3 Well-Known Member Supporter

For great, economical targets, check out www.ez2ctargets.com. 11 x 17 targets, 40 to a pack, multiple pack discounts. I’ve been using these for a few years, now. I have one range that doesn’t allow silhouettes, I use Style 4 and they’re ok with it.

2. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

Thx for posting! I go through a lot of paper

Adam 2 likes this.

3. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

I buy 100 count packs of tag-board target paper, same as what NRA official targets are printed on from Amazon. Then I print out 'free' targets on the internet. The tag board holds up much better on my back boards, and I only print out a few targets of one style at a time rather than a whole bunch of the same targets:

[​IMG]

4. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Well-Known Member

I use my steel target a lot and white paint but I also cut pizza packages in to targets.

Rifling82 likes this.
  5. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

When my wife and I moved we used the standard boxes you get at Home Depot or U-Haul.
    After unpacking I had about 40 boxes in great shape.
    They were the perfect size to cut into IDPA silhouette targets.

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I drill holes in pennies and hang them with fishing line. It’s challenging beyond a hundred yards, especially on windy days. :rolleyes:

Rifling82 and SRK97 like this.
  7. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I use to use pizza boxes when my son was at home. He was a Hungry Howies frequent flyer. With him out of the house I don’t get as much pizza (I am un-American and not a real big pizza fan). I would take them and use painters tape to put aiming targets on them.

With these old eyes I do buy shoot and see, but still need a spotting scope or binoculars to see much detail beyond 25 yards.

Also flower pots bought at yard sales are good. You can generally get them pretty cheap.

Dallas53 likes this.
  8. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

for working up handloads, I would go to the dollar stores and buy poster board in various colors. draw out six targeting points and number them. wrote the corresponding info in my notebook to do comparisons at a later point.

another cheap target. paper plates from the dollar store. 100 targets for about a buck! for pistol practice, I'd just use them like they were. for 22's, I'd draw a black circle in the center the size of quarter to aim at.

sheriffjohn and Chainfire like this.
  9. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I buy the cheapest 9" paper plates possible. They are too floppy to eat off of, but they make great targets. Use one for a template by cutting a hole in the center and paint the bullseye with cheap spray paint. That plate covers about the same area as center mass.

Bought by the thousand, they will cost less than a penny a target.

EDIT: (Dallas, great minds run in the same channels) ;) I didn't see your post until after hitting the send button)

Dallas53 likes this.
  10. Dallas53

you're right. they aren't worth a crap as paper plates! but they do make good targets!

I just trace around a large washer about the size of quarter, then fill it in with magic marker.

11. 1911NUT

1911NUT Well-Known Member

I thought it was just me that used those. Great for sighting in your rifles at 100 yds.
    Place a quarter size center dot then start on a large piece of cardboard with the plate in it. Once you hit the plate you discard the cardboard and center from there.

Dallas53 likes this.
  12. Dallas53

and one of the things I also use are old wooden pallets to hold my targets. you can just lean them against a tree, or stump, or prop them up with a scrap piece of lumber. with the mbeing wooden, you can just staple your targets to them. when they get too shot up, just throw them on the burn pile!

13. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Well-Known Member

I use those pallets a lot for all sorts of stuff. Take all of them I can get.

Dallas53 likes this.
  14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Me too. I have even made some small furniture pieces from them. If you get your hands on ones that came from South America or The Pacific Islands, you can even fine a little exotic woods in them.

Dallas53 likes this.
  15. Dallas53

I usually get mine from the shop. we are always getting things that are delivered on pallets, and we usually just stack them out back until we have truck or trailer load of them and then haul them to the farm. we usually keep the best ones, or the more sturdy ones for stacking various things on. the less than great ones, or those made rather flimsily I use for target stands.

I also scavenge any large cardboard boxes as well. I will cut out roughly man-sized silhouettes on them and mark the center-mass and the heads with targets. I staple these to small trees at roughly the height of a man. they make for great moving target practice for pistols.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Shopfox likes this.
  16. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

I purchased a pad of poster paper with 1-inch squares sectioned off on those sheets at Office Max. I put those on my target boards at 25, 50 and 100 yards to make scope adjustments much easier:
    [​IMG]
    These one-inch squares make dialing in your scope much easier using whatever increments your scope adjustment dials afford you for MOA.

Rifling82 and Shopfox like this.
  17. James Bond

James Bond New Member

I do a search through our storage room in the basement for leftover paper plates. The last haul I made was the wife’s leftover Christmas plates.

18. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Jackrich,

If you have access to a laptop or computer and can hooked it up to a printer.
    You can download some decent targets straight from the Stag Arms Website.
    I use them quite often and cheaper than buying them.

19. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

I guess I'm "uber" cheaper then you guys:D, here is what I do for targets; I go to garage sales and find brand new in the wrapper wallpaper rolls. if you go to new sub-divisions seems like every house has them. wives buy them and either bought too many for the walls or they changed their minds on the pattern , so they off loaded them for cheap, cheap, cheap :D. sometimes they want a couple of dollars per roll, but I always say. "will you take 50 cents a roll for it?", 10 out 10 times they say, YES.:D

now, I just cut a man silhouette stencil from a large piece of carboard, take the wallpaper roll it down my driveway, with the back/white side up. then I place the stencil on it and spray paint the outline of the target all down the roll.:D

then I just roll it back up, and Voilà I have a entire roll of targets:D, which I either can cut what I think I will need for the range or I take the entire roll with me and cut what I need at the range :D

cost for something like 30+ targets; $1.50.

oh yeah, the dollar is for the price of the spray paint, which I also buy at a garage sale :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Shopfox and primer1 like this.
  20. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

but the cheapest targets I have, AS IN FREE, FREE, FREE :D. was given to me by my ol' Army buddy when he was assigned as ROTC instructor at Penn state.

he was clearing out the storage rooms at the school and came across a case (500 targets) of alternate qualification targets for the M16A1 :D. now, back in the day, 70s, the ROTC cadets borrowed M16s from the NG but somewhere along the line probably the 80s, they got .22s target rifles, so they could practice their marksmanship on campus instead of borrowing and being trucked all the way to Ft. Indiangap(?). so these were un-needed and where destined for the dumpster

knowing I had guns and shoot he gave me these targets :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Shopfox and primer1 like this.