Target tearing

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by winds-of-change, Aug 15, 2017.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Can anyone tell me why I have these long tears in my Target? I was shooting a .380. Balota was shooting his 9 mm. It didn't happen with the 9 mm.

Attached Files:

2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

the quality of the paper is all i can guess. maybe the paper is old and brittle?

3. Danoobie

Danoobie Well-Known Member

It looks like the round might be keyholing, which generally
    happens at much further distances. What distance were you
    shooting? Did you change to a different ammo?

4. winds-of-change

The target was at 7-8 yards. The ammo was that flat nosed Bullet ammo. We got thevtargets at the range. I don't think the targets sit there too long but I'm not sure.

5. Dallas53

at 7-8 yards, even a 380 isn't keyholing. i highly suspect looking closer, it's cheap and thin paper causing the tearing. Mr. Balota's 9mm were just faster!

6. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Well , you may have the perfect round for a supressor , like real sub-sonic.....
    4 1/2 FPS....:D..........:confused:

Does bring to mind one question though . Are both the 380 and the 9 mm store bought rounds ...?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  7. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Try some different ammo, it looks like keyholling to me as well. The difference in velocity at that range with modern .380 ammo is not that significant. Was this by any chance remanufactured ammo?

8. dango

^^^-----Deja Vu .......:confused: .....take the red pill , I did and look ........never mind ....:D

9. Pasquanel

10. BVAL

BVAL Well-Known Member

The yardage sounds ok, for the 380. Could be bullet weight is to heavy for the rate of twist (not enough), the bullet might be starting to yaw. Try it again with a lighter weight bullet.

11. Danoobie

Danoobie Well-Known Member

Do you usually shoot the flat nose ammo with the 380,
    or was this the first time?

12. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Is the bullet getting marked up/damaged when it is chambered? Some guns don't like those flat nose bullets. Next time at the range with that same ammo shoot a round and then eject the next and feel the bullet with your fingers to see if there is a rough spot.
    That is one possible answer to the tears.
    Also maybe those flat points were pushing and tearing the target instead of poking through like normal round nose.

13. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

Was the target truly perpendicular to the line of sight? I have seen the ventilation system at indoor ranges deflect the bottom of the target away from the shooter and when the bullet strikes it gives the appearance of key holing.

Move the target a foot or two either way and problem was solved.

Just another variable to consider

14. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

That is not a rigid paper unsuitable for targets. It was likely not secured evenly when the shots were printed. Simply purchase some NRA slowfire 25 yard pistol targets. Deciding a bullet is at fault because of a torn target can be resolved with a proper target. This paper could never be scored or used in a match.

15. dango

There is a big difference between the .380 vs 9 mm. .
    Max velocity .....1000 FPS .....380

Max velocity ...1400 FPS....9 mm.

It may be a combination of the paper and fact that the .380 is a lesser round as far as energy and velocity ! Good data though . So ends this debate ....? :)

16. winds-of-change

Nah, Let's kick it around and start arguing and calling each other names for several more pages.

17. dango

Well , OK ...:D. You swine , surely they would not call it perfection if it were'nt :p. Spell it P-E-R-F-E-C-T-I-O-N.....in 45 ACP .....THE BESTEST ...! I rest my case .......:D......:p

18. Pasquanel

I don't believe anyone was doing anything other than trying to answer your question Winds. There isn't much to go on the 380 does the 9mm does not.
    If I were you I would try some different ammo and see if it still happens. I do not believe it's a velocity issue, the .45acp is a slower bigger round and at least for me the tearing does not happen.

19. Dallas53

i think it's the targets! i didn't ask this, but is the target only attached at the top? if so, and the range is supplying thin and cheap targets, that could be the reason for the tearing.

20. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

The target didn't have keyholes (bullets going thru sideways). Many of the holes had vertical tears downward from the bullet holes extending 2-3 inches.

The ventilation system is pretty strong and the bottom of the target does deflect some.

The ammo was factory loaded in both guns.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017