Target stand systems for heavy magnums ?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by MuzzleBlastMD, May 8, 2020.

1. MuzzleBlastMD

MuzzleBlastMD Member

I have a few heavy magnums in 454 Casull, 460 Magnum and 500 Magnum. Oftentimes my steel targets collapse after a hit or two. I have the Last Stand Target system but it’s a bit cumbersome to transport. My Arntzen Target tripods fall over.

Does anyone have recommendations on steel target stands that will stay up after a heavy hitter?

I’d like to shoot at 50 to 100 yards, mainly.

Thank you in advance.

I apologize if this is in the wrong subsection.

towboater likes this.
  2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

MuzzleBlast

I am assuming the Target Stand must be portable? ;) If not there is some good options for a permanent steel plate stand. I do not know of any portable stand that is fairly easily portable that will withstand the impact on a steel plate on the stand. And of course the farther back you shoot the stand will not take the impact without severely damaging the stand it self if hit. Maybe someone else here can assist with a portable type stand that is easily moved and set up?

towboater and MuzzleBlastMD like this.

3. MuzzleBlastMD

MuzzleBlastMD Member

Portable is what I’m looking for.

I have a backyard range but I only shoot suppressed.

I plan to bring the target to my club when I shoot.

4. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Active Member

I do not shoot heavy magnums much anymore, but when I did it was mostly .44 mag and .454. I never really had a good portable steel target set up so I used about a dozen small silhouette targets. Made of 1/2” steel they held up under .44 mag pretty fair, but I needed 5/8 to 3/4” to sustain the .454 hits. Even then I sometimes broke the bases off of them from the force breaking the welds. However, if you have a dozen of them it can keep you busy for a few minutes before you reset them all again. Fifty yards was a bit too much for the .454, and it was really more fun at 100. Keep em small and it is a better challenge...

MuzzleBlastMD likes this.
  5. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

for a target stand that doesn't fall off, just make a metal frame stand where the legs have points on them so you can pound them in the ground. I'm sure there are also commercial available stands like that you can buy, just do a GOOGLE search

6. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I make stands out of scrap lumber. And use steel pins angled up to hang my steel plates on. They stay on with 44 mag full powder loads. And also make bases out of 4x4's and use a shepherds hook to hang a gong on.

7. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 8, 2020