Target rifles for hunting

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by gunny134, Nov 12, 2011.

1. gunny134

gunny134 New Member

Can I use a target rifle for hunting or not? Because I don't want to have to buy a new gun just for hunting.

2. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

Absolutely, provided the caliber is appropriate to the game you are hunting.

Also, stop in to the Introductions forum and tell us a bit about yourself... and welcome!

3. gunny134

gunny134 New Member

I was thinking of hunting deer would a .308 be good for both?

4. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

I usually just use my hunting rifles as target rifles, gotta sight em in and shoot em when not hunting!
    What are you looking to hunt and what caliber gun?

Say hello in the introductions thread.

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

the 308 would be fine

6. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Sorry, you posted before I could type:eek:

7. gunny134

gunny134 New Member

Thanks a bunch, sorry if that sounds wierd but it has to be at least 10 characters ;)

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

That's strange, I don't remember you telling us about yourself in the intro forum either!

9. gunny134

gunny134 New Member

I made sure to go to the intro forum after I read that because this is the most that I have used this so I decided to do that, if what I just said makes any sense.

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

See you there!

11. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Sure u can. The better u shoot the rifle the better the chance to take game the way u should, fair chase an humane kills. Just make sure the caliber matches the game, example u wouldnt use a 223 for elk keep it real, an good luck in the field

12. gunny134

gunny134 New Member

Ok thank you and does anyone know anything about the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle?

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

gunny, i agree with the others, 308 would be fine for deer if you use the right ammo. the only real drawback i see with using a target rifle for hunting, is that target rifles are usually heavier than hunting rifles. also check your trigger pull weight to be safe for hunting. good luck deer hunting, and welcome to the forum.

14. gunny134

gunny134 New Member

Alright thank you and i will

15. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Like axxe said to light of a trigger can spell disaster on a hunt. Some target rifles triggers are very light, hair trigger light. Never chance an accidental discharge be safe good huntin to ya

16. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

If you have a place to sit, and do not have far to carry ... target guns will do fine for hunting.

My 308 weighs over 13#.

17. gunny134

gunny134 New Member

Thank you now i have more to think about and i never thought that i would get this many responses. Thank you all!:)

18. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I know this sounds strange but I like my hunting rifles to be around 8 to 9 pounds. I just learned to carry only important items in my pack to overcome the heavy rifle. My coyote gun is a ruger mark 2 heavy target in 223 it weighs around 11 pounds. I very seldome feel that its to heavy, where my huntin pals think im nuts

19. gunny134

gunny134 New Member

The rifle that i am looking at is the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle it weighs 7 pounds which doesn't seem like a lot

20. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

That's because I didn't.

If anyone is interested, this is the thread that I made my first post in and introduced myself.