Firearms Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just had this thought and curious what you think. is target selection, such as silhouettes, circles, bullseyes. for a HD gun do you think selecting a target close to what you train for helpful as far as target aquisition, or do you think any target is fine and you train to pick what you aim for... sorry if thats confusing. i guess im trying to say. do you think shooting silhouettes, is benefical. sort of like muscle memory. or should one shoot bulls to be able to pick your target?

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
when it comes to paper i dont think it matters much. however if you got a place you can shoot whatever, then finding some life size dummies and dressing them in clothing might do some good for self defense training

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I think learning to hit what you're aiming at is the most important thing. Shooting silhouettes might be cool but the big targets are pricey. I'm cheap so I make my targets on the photocopier at work.

If you want some neat free targets, try this site: www.targetz.com

·
Banned
0 Posts
personally, i just use poster boards with a 3" circle drawn on it. i practice at 10 yards. reason is, i believe most anytime a pistol is needed for SD shootings, it will be within 10 yards. i practice on a regular basis, at least once a week with whatever pistol i choose to carry. some i carry more often than others so they tend to get more practice time. but IMO, time spent shooting is more important than the target chosen. it helps promote working from instinct.

·
Premium Member
12,048 Posts
Find some big pieces of cardboard at stores or recycling centers and draw what u want with a marker. Budget, baby.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when it comes to paper i dont think it matters much. however if you got a place you can shoot whatever, then finding some life size dummies and dressing them in clothing might do some good for self defense training
i really like this "dummy" idea. by making one you might even be able to recover your bullets or peices of them to figure out how they would work

personally, i just use poster boards with a 3" circle drawn on it. i practice at 10 yards. reason is, i believe most anytime a pistol is needed for SD shootings, it will be within 10 yards. i practice on a regular basis, at least once a week with whatever pistol i choose to carry. some i carry more often than others so they tend to get more practice time. but IMO, time spent shooting is more important than the target chosen. it helps promote working from instinct.
i aggree shooting often will help.

Find some big pieces of cardboard at stores or recycling centers and draw what u want with a marker. Budget, baby.
smart, i print most of mine at work.

good responses here, however not truelly what i was looking for. this was more of a which do you prefer question. disregard budgetting and other things.

i think i figured out a clear way to say it.

when it comes to muscle memory. for HD do you think its better to train having silhouette targets for your mind to be used to that type of target aquisition. or do you think being able to pick your "spot" so to speak for aiming. such as bullseyes, squares, circles or whatever type of target you generally get. which would be more beneficial in getting on target faster, and in an intense situation?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Paper plates, go from bigger to smaller as (if?) you get better. Then 3x5 index cards. Then 3x5 cards ripped in half. Then little round stickers. Me? I'm still on targets I've copied on 8.5x11 paper.

I've also got a hanging 3" 'self-sealing' swinging orange thing I hit about half the time at 20 or so feet with the .22lr pistol two handed, less often with strong and weak hand only, not so good at all with the 9mm . . .yet.

For HD practice? Maybe bring the pistol up to acquire the target each time. Shoot standing, kneeling, crouching, cross body, etc.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I would suggest that you shoot at different objects also, such as plastic bottles of different sizes and at different distances. Some folks get too used to shooting at paper. Shooting at different objects helps enhance one's overall marksmanship.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I don't think the sillouette targets are that beneficial. I print out free bullseye targets off the 'net & mostly practice 'point & shoot at close ranges. The bullseye gives me something to shoot for, but if I get all shots on the 8-1/2x11 sheet of paper, out to 21 feet without using the sights, that is C.O.M. & I'm okay, but don't always do it.:eek:

·
Retired
13,579 Posts
Work on grouping and center mass. No bull's-eye, or any other point of aim.

Use peripheral sight as you line up the sights of the firearm on a blank piece of paper.

Concentrate on the front sight you are putting in center of mass.

After you get good grouping in the center, then try a bull's-eye.

I've never seen a bad guy on the news with a bull's-eye pasted on him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts