Target forms new policy - thanks to Texas Open Carry

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by chloeshooter, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

WELL it didn't take long for the Texas Open Carry morons to get the ball rolling!

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....ores_says_firearms_arent_family-friendly.html

We have this group to thank for a TON of negative publicity surrounding carry rights lately. They wanted to push this to a head and the inevitable happened: they pushed he wrong people, too far

I have no respect for these fools nor do I consider them a part of my 'cause'. They have hurt the rest of us, and defending this bull cr*p in any way just won't cut it.

Like I said, they are taking 2A backwards, not forwards. More to come I am sure. A bunch of misguided fools listening to some other fools' dime-store philosophies........

2. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

I agree

I open carry and conceal carry all the time. Handgun - in a holster. Almost no one blinks. But if I walk into ANY place and see a bunch of guys toting rifles, I am going to bug out of there or if no escape path, go to a ready state.

I am a shooter but I know enough about this world to deem someone in a store with a rifle as a threat. I know their point is to say "Look, get used to it, see, its not a threat". But in todays society, how does one tell the good guy (albeit not to bright) expressing his rights from a guy on a rampage ?

I don't understand why they don't get it...

3. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

When the West was young, people carried rifles and carbines both to hunt and as protection. But even when you rode your horse into town, the rifle stayed in the saddle sheath, which would be the equivalent of leaving it in your car. You took it out at night to bed down wherever you were: hotel, home or campfire. This was a time when you could be set upon by wild animals or felonious humans fairly regularly. Your pistol was your always at hand first form of defense then as now. The open carry laws were intended not to victimize law-abiding citizens who wished to carry their pistol in a peaceful manner.

This makes me wonder why anyone would then think that, in this emotionally charged atmosphere we are in now, carrying a semiautomatic rifle into Target, especially when done in groups of three or four, would somehow engender support for 2A and carry rights. I would fully back them if they shopped at target and had their sidearm on while they did it, holstered but in plain view. This makes them look perfectly normal, just armed, and makes people have to deal with the fact that carrying. A gun does not make you automatically a criminal, nor crazy. But you can hardly blame the general public from shying away from a group of people that show up at Target with an assortment of ARs and AKs. I myself would be suspicious if I saw that, and I grew up in a mountain town where everyone had rifles and shotguns in their pickup and pistols on their hip! Guns weren't looked upon as any different than a shovel, but no one took a long gun shopping with them.

This movement would have been best served if the pro-carry groups had dressed in polo shirts and slacks, no camo, looking like insurance salesmen, and then volunteered at soup kitchens, car washes or other charitable events, or even just walk their dogs around the neighborhood to look as normal as possible. If they play with their dog in the park, people have to reconcile the fact that this is just a normal, working, tax-paying citizen who loves his family and just happens to carry a gun. It gives Joe Q. Public the image of guns being a part of everyday life and not inherently evil. Now, if anything, the rifle carry in Target, Starbucks and other public places has done almost as much damage as the actual shootings, only because the public sees rifle carriers as part of a splinter faction that has a point to make, just like terrorists. They don't want to take the time to figure out if their safe or not and just lump them all together in the "Crazies" category and run away in fear. If that's what they were trying to accomplish, then in a way they're no different than a domestic terrorist.

Just like everything else done in public, there is a right way and a wrong way. By applying a little common sense and a forethought, we can create a sense of familiarity and comfort in the general public when confronted with a firearm. In this way, we benefit both sides of the argument and make everyday life easier for everyone.

4. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Just another example of people either not having or not using good sense.
    Open carry should be tailored according to the environment. It would be pretty inconvenient for somebody to carry a rifle and do any serious shopping at the same time. And to intimidate the customers and staff of a business is hardly a way to bring positive attention to gun owners. Maybe some of it is being done by anti's just for the sake of the negative reaction it generates. Either the rifle-toters are not mentally adequate to be having guns, or they are knowingly sabotaging the 2nd amendment for the rest of us.
    People who go to those store are intending to shop for clothes, bath towels, toasters, or school supplies, etcetera. The last thing they want is to see a bunch of clowns wearing camo, bloused combat boots, and carrying semi-auto rifles strutting around pretending they are an occupying army.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I agree! It is simply common sense!

Here is the quote from Target!

*Target joins a collection of other national chains, primarily restaurants, that have asked
    customers not to bring weapons into stores, or not to display them openly.

I do not have a serious problem with and respect their position! It is their right regarding their stores. If one takes serious offense do not go there! If you notice they are not saying that they are not allowing people to exercise their Second Amendment Right to protect themselves only that if carried they be concealed. It is idiots that want to play cowboy and march around with open weapons like rifles and other large weapons that are the ones that are truely damaging our cause with the public! Let's use some common sense! I carry most everywhere even if there is a sign on the door. But the key is, I use common sense and no one knows I am carrying! And I do not tell anyone! Only my wife or a good friend would even know I have a piece on me!

6. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Amen, '03.
    A good guess is that a lot of these clowns could not qualify for a CWP. And apparently don't realize that a good third of the people they are offending have CWP's and are carrying concealed while being subjected to that stupid show.

Now Target is going the way of Chipotle and Starbucks.

7. WNGMSTR

WNGMSTR Troll Scout

Another "Target" rich environment.....

8. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

have CWP and instead of enjoying my shopping experience, wondering where the a**holes with the rifles are while I'm trying to otherwise shop

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Right on.

Only as an excuse. The real point is giving everyone a giant middle finger. Beneath the surface it is anger and resentment, not the goodness of heart. People do things because they can. They are testing us, and they want to be tested.

I have not met any of them, but their behavior shows them as reckless and dangerous individuals.

10. CBH_SR9c

CBH_SR9c New Member

I asked the group on their Facebook page if they understand that they are just repeating history, the same way California got OC banned. Not a single direct response to my questions. They make us all look like the gun crazies MDA paints us to be...

11. WNGMSTR

WNGMSTR Troll Scout

Making a monumental decision over a handful of peanut sacks is not logical, making this decision under pressure of powerful money men applying financial stress to a waning company makes way more sense.....

12. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

you are exactly right, this is sure a thing of timing to be sure. Target has had a very rough year, and can't handle any negative publicity. in the end, they did what I would have done, because I am smart enough to know that Target caters to many more moms than it does open carry enthusiasts

unfortunately, this will be an inspiration/affirmation of the Bloomberg groupies, so naturally, we will see a lot more of this junk

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

your only going to see it when wackjobs on our side try and run leftist/communist business' faces in the 2A...

if you want to walk around in public with a rifle go to a gun show.

14. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

or Israel perhaps.....

15. mseric

mseric New Member

Sorry, but I do not see this as being a quote from Target. It is words from the reporter and he is lumping all the Businesses into one. Some said "no guns" some said "No rifles" some said " no open carry".

Target said No Guns, and did not specify open or concealed.

The leadership team has been weighing a complex issue, and I want to be sure everyone understands our thoughts and ultimate decision.
    "As you've likely seen in the media, there has been a debate about whether guests in communities that permit 'open carry' should be allowed to bring firearms into Target stores. Our approach has always been to follow local laws, and of course, we will continue to do so. But starting today we will also respectfully request that guests not bring firearms to Target - even in communities where it is permitted by law.

"We've listened carefully to the nuances of this debate and respect the protected rights of everyone involved. In return, we are asking for help in fulfilling our goal to create an atmosphere that is safe and inviting for our guests and team members.

"This is a complicated issue, but it boils down to a simple belief: Bringing firearms to Target creates an environment that is at odds with the family-friendly shopping and work experience we strive to create."

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i will add my two cents on this subject.

first of all, i believe in their right to run their stores as they choose to. whether we agree or disagree with those decisions is pretty much irrelevent.

whether their reasons make any sense to us or whether we agree with those decisions is also irrelevent. in some areas, seeing people open carrying maybe upsetting.

my personal views are that many times these decisions are business decisions based on the profit margins and not political in nature, even though in some ways, some us see them as political. bottom line is, large corporations are about making profits, and if they view people open carrying, causing other customers to not shop in their store because seeing them doing so upsets them, and it's costing them potential money, then guess what? they will deny people from open carrying in their stores.

whether any of us agree or disagree is irrelevent, but we as responsible gun owner should and need to respect their rights and property. if this extends to concealed carry, (which by the statement, i can't determine which way exactly) then by all means, vote with your wallet and shop elsewhere. if they find out that people who conceal carry refuse to do business in their stores, then it might be reversed at that level. becasue if open carry is denied, but concealed carry is allowed, then then the needs of all are served for the better.

17. mseric

mseric New Member

The reason this happened was 100% due to the Morons at Open Carry Texas. These idiots with their longs guns drawn have caused more businesses to ban guns than Bloomberg or Mother Demand Action could ever hope for.

Target and many of the other businesses were just fine with the status quot, until Grisham and his band of morons pushed the issue. He has to be an Anti-Gun activist, nobody is that stupid, nobody!

18. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

That is a HUGE.. win for Moms Demand Action.....Target even gave them credit for their decision.....I dont shop there much anyway...but will add them to the list of businesses that dont want me as a customer...

19. mseric

mseric New Member

Don't forget to add all the other Businesses that are owned by Target Corp, formerly Dayton Hudson, there is a bunch.

20. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I don't care about new articles and such. If they post a sign at the door forbidding concealed carry...I will be done shopping there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.