Target 9mm?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by clue, Jan 9, 2013.

1. clue

clue New Member

I am in search of a 9mm. This will be used almost exclusively for target and range fun, maybe some competition in the future. I am obviously looking for something that is full size and accurate. Right now I am considering Springfield XDM Competition w/ 5.25'' barrel, S&W M&P9 Pro Series, a CZ of some sort possibly the CZ75B, and farther down the list is a Glock 34. I already have a G23 and I like it but I think I want to try sth different and stay away from Glock.

What do you all think? Is there another obvious choice I am over looking? I am looking for opinions on the models I have listed as well as suggestions for models I have over looked. I would also like to try and keep this purchase under $700. Thanks in advance!

2. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

I use the XDm 5.25 (in fact I have 2) and have had Springer Precision in Oregon rework them to be even better. I had the barrel of one replaced with a BarSto match barrel and added a Leopold Delta Point dot site. Excellent accuracy with carefully made handloads (sub 2" groups at 25 and 50 yards from a sand bag rest. This gun shoots very well out of the box, but even better with a bit of work. Hope this helps.

3. jebsca

jebsca New Member

I have and like the Beretta 92FS. It is full size, shoots better than I do, can be had for less than $700 (if they are not price gouging) and is a 9mm. I like it enough that I picked up a second one this past summer.

4. clue

clue New Member

I've thought about that but heard the grips were pretty large. I'm am average sized guy so that probably wouldn't be a problem.

5. clue

clue New Member

Thanks I appreciate it. I've recently been leaning towards this model just wanted to hear from somebody that has one and make sure I'm not forgetting any others.

6. XsV

XsV New Member

They really are not that bad. I mean, I do have big hands but my 92 hasn't ever felt "large". It is an amazing gun, so smooth. But if you are planning on modifying for competition it may not be your best bet. The XDm however, was dang near built for that type of shooting.

7. jhelms

jhelms New Member

I shoot and carry a cz75b and I really like it. It's the most accurate nine you'll ever shoot in my opinion. Though once I can afford a glock that's what ill have as a carry gun. But for Target, hard to beat cz.

8. mdemotte

mdemotte New Member

I couldn't agree more the Cz-75 is by far the most accurate pistol I have ever shot. This beats out some of my other favorites like Sig 226 and glock 17.

9. juststartin5272

juststartin5272 New Member

Go to czcustomshop.com and check out some of their target 75's they can get expensive but for a gun of that quality it is worth it.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

I have been very happy with the used CZ75b i picked up for $400~. I would prefer a decocker model, though; manually riding that hammer down is unsettling to me.

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I've shot very good groups with Berretta M9 and 92 FS pistols in bullseye matches. A good 1911 is good too for target shooting. For run and gun games I prefer Glocks, but the XDm is not a bad way to go either. I've seen them do well in competitions.

12. jhelms

jhelms New Member

Yeah. My father in law is a big glock guy and had the cz laying around. I got it for $150 not thinkin much of it. But man , its pretty impressive.

13. clue

clue New Member

Alright I will definitely check that out thanks.

14. clue

clue New Member

I will remember that if I decide on the CZ. The model with the decocker isn't much more expensive

15. clue

clue New Member

Thanks for all of the feed back. I was really hoping to hear a lot about the CZ so thanks. Right now its probably between the XDM 5.25 and the CZ. I think the xdm has the advantage with the adjustable sights and longer sight radius, but I hear such good things about the CZ. I wish I could buy both!

16. orangello

orangello New Member

I don't have an XDM, but i do have an XD45, and a good shooting buddy has the XD9. I know the XDm grips are supposed to be very comfortable with their switchable backstraps, but my CZ has the MOST comfortable grip i've personally ever felt on a semiauto pistol.

Maybe you can rent each for a side-by-side comparison? http://wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/index.asp see if you can find a range on there with rental options in your area. Either would be a great pistol, IMO. Neither my XD45 nor my CZ75b has ever jammed or malfunctioned on me after hundreds of rounds.

17. clue

clue New Member

Yea my brother in law has the Xdm 9mm with 4.5" barrel and he loves it. It is a very comfortable gun to shoot. I imagine the 5.25 would be basically the same. I do want to shoot the CZ75B and see what its like. I've shot a friend's CZ 9mm before and liked it but it wasn't the 75B. Hopefully the range close to me has these 2 available for rent.

18. jhelms

jhelms New Member

Any cz feed problems I've had are due to cheap ammo. I can shoot 1000 of my handloads through it without a hiccup. It don't jam much at all, but when it does its with cheap ammo.

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

For run and gun games the XD is your only choice. You will not be allowed to compete fairly with any gun with a decocker/safety on the slide. People say it's not hard to flip the safety with your thumb. I have bear sized hands. Still when I have to flip the safety on the slide it's three shots before I am holding the gun properly with both thumbs pointing in the same direction.

When I carry my gun the decocker is disabled. Yet when I shoot a match I am forced to shoot with the decocker engaged. People have said write IDPA to get a letter stating the rule on such guns. I have a letter (not an email) from IDPA with an IDPA letterhead stating it's my choice to engage the decocker. SO's ignore the letter and say comply or go home. I have wrote IDPA corporate about the situation. With the price and difficulty of acquiring ammo today I am not shooting any more matches.

If run and gun is on your mind get an XD or a Glock.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  20. clue

clue New Member

Good info thanks! I was already leaning towards the XDM bc of the adjustable sights and longer sight radius, but I think this pretty much seals it for me. I think I will still go shoot both just to get a feel for them bc who knows maybe in the future I will buy the CZ as well.