Target 22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by 95sniper, Apr 27, 2014.

1. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I am looking at buying a new rifle, I want a bolt action, heavy barreled 22. What are any recommendations? I would like to stay around $300 but I am open to whatever. I'm not looking at shooting competitions I just want something accurate. Also I am open to scope recommendations preferably around $100. Thanks

2. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox New Member

The CZ-452 series is very nice. Also, kimber makes some nice bolt action .22s

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

hard to beat a bolt action Savage rimfire in that price range. my M93r17 is very accurate when i do my part. they also offer this one as the M93 which is the 22lr version with a heavy barrel option.

i have had mine for almost ten years now and still enjoy shooting it. the only gripe i had about the M93r17 is when i bought mine, the only heavy barrel version had the synthetic stock and the LOP was bit short for me. i ended up putting a Boyd's laminated Varmint Hunter stock on it that made a world of difference in the way the rifle felt when shouldered.

4. Control

Control New Member

95sniper,

I have been shooting in 22 and CF rifle competitions for almost 60 years.

We shoot the 22 indoors all winter at 50 ft. In the warmer weather we also shoot outdoors at 50 & 100 yds.

The standard rifle was the Winchester M52 with some using the DCM Springfields. Today the Anschutz has taken over with some other lesser brands.

Instead of buying a rifle on an impulse go to a match, rifle range or club and see what they are using. Target shooters are very friendly and want you to shoot with them.

Someone my lend you a rifle to try or sell you one right there.

Here is a link to the NRA website on where to find competition near you.

http://compete.nra.org

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  5. Control

Control New Member

Here we are shooting our 22's outdoors and below is a picture of our indoor range for 22's at 50'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Those are some crazy looking rifles, and a nice range. I will look at the cz, the kimber, and the savage. Unfortunately there isn't a range close by where I live and the ones that are are mainly pistol.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Good advice. WITHIN YOUR PRICE RANGE, would be hard to beat one of the Savge 93s in .17 HMR.

I also have a few OLD .22 target rifles- Mossberg 44's and 46B models. I have shot 5 round 1 hole groups at 50 yards with both (match ammo, benchrest, no wind) There are good scope mounts available for the Mossbergs from Havlin Sales.

My Savage was the first thumbhole stock rifle I have owned. Thought it was a tad strange, but I like it.

labor day 093.jpg

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Oh- The Mossberg 44US and the 46B(b)?

rifles 018.jpg

rifles 016.jpg

9. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Those are some pretty rifles, they are probably hard to find now though.

10. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

IMO, your best bet for the price would be a savage. BTW can they fit anymore people on that firing line?:D

11. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Around the 300.00 mark current production,take a look at CZ 455 American with the black composite stock or a Savage mkII.

I've also been looking for a nice rimfire bolt action rifle,the CZ 455 seems like a good buy. The black composite stocked American CZ 455 are around 340.00,i've been looking at their CZ 455 American model with a walnut stock,which run around 400.00.

What appeals to me with the CZ 455 is the ability to switch barrels from 22 lr,22 mag,17hmr and the positive reviews on accuracy.

12. Control

Control New Member

I have a CZ 455 with the 17HMR & 22 bbls. I got it to try the 17 and have not put the 22 bbl on has this is only a hunting sporter to me and I have other 22's both target and for hunting.

My 17 CZ is accurate but it's no target rifle at all.

Here is one of my 40X match rifles.

[​IMG]

13. Olympus

Olympus New Member

For $300 and a heavy barrel, really your only option is a Savage.

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

15. mboylan

mboylan New Member

Do yourself a a favor. Save up for a heavy barreled CZ 455 with a laminated or synthetic stock and top it with a Mueller APV or better.

16. Olympus

Olympus New Member

$400 total for a scoped rifle is pretty meager. Save up for a CZ or Savage and a decent scope.

17. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I am new to rifles, but I love my CZ 452. Nice looking and shooting rifle for the $$. I have a 243 Kimber that I also love, but a Kimber is twice the $$. I've looked at some Coppers I'd own if my bank account was much larger.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

18. Control

Control New Member

While I like the little CZ 45X's a plinker they are not even close to being a competition rifle!

Go to a match!

See what it takes to compete.

It won't be a cz 455 or a Savage 22! :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  19. Olympus

Olympus New Member

You also won't be competing with any $300 rifle. I think what you are talking about and what the OP is looking for are two completely different things. His original post even said he is NOT going be competing.

While your rifles and experience are impressive, they don't meet the criteria for what the OP is asking for help with.

20. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Thank you guys for the recommendations, I looked at several savages today in my price range. Unfortunately I can't get my hands on the cz right now. I'm really just looking for a rifle that I can personally have fun with and shoot targets. Nothing too serious. I know 100$ is nothing for a scope so I'm open to recommendations.