Tapco mags

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Welderman30, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Welderman30

Welderman30 New Member

Just got my first ak a few months ago. I got four mags with it, but i would like to have a few more. I see tapco mags everywhere i go for the best price. Are they junk or worth buying?

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

People like to hate on Tapco stuff, but they work. They aren't the coolest looking and you can't take them apart for cleaning but they are decent mags.

But if you are looking for something more I'd pick up some Bulgarian circle 10 mags.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

3. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Buddy of mine is a big AK guy and he swear by 'em :)

4. Cracker7

Cracker7 New Member

They are fine for the range. But if you want something better, US Palm makes some nice mags too.

5. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Almost forgot, Magpul is also making AK mags now.:)

6. Cracker7

Cracker7 New Member

That's true, Magpul makes great stuff.

7. Welderman30

Welderman30 New Member

I know magpul makes quality stuff. I've got a bunch of ar pmags and love them. The problem is i haven't seen any of their ak mags for sale at any of my lgs, or know of any one who has tried them.

8. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I bought a few magpuls and love em.

9. carnestopher

carnestopher New Member

I've been searching high and low for Magpul AK mags, but to no avail. The only mags I have are 4 steel surplus, 4 Tapco, and 4 ProMag and I've never had a single failure through the 4000+ rounds I've fired. Tapcos can be taken apart and cleaned. Might be luck of the draw or might be I jus take care of my stuff. Just my 2 cents

10. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I have four Tapco mags for my AK and four metal ones. Personally I don't care for the Tapco they just don't snap in nearly as easy and I can only load 29 in them
    the only way I can use 30 is to load with the bolt all the way back. The metal ones are far superior in my opinion.
    Tapcos are ok for the range the only reason I have any is someone on the forum posted a link and they were only $6.00 each.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got us palm for my ak's. the metal ones are good mags and i would opt for those over tapco. even during the gun crunch ak steel mags were easy to get.