Tapco Mags for the Mini-14?

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by KMO, Apr 29, 2010.

1. KMO

KMO New Member

OK, so who's going to try these first? Tapco has come out with 30-round polymer magazines for the Mini-14...$16 each. This is the first I have heard of them. I've been burned by aftermarket mags for the Mini before, so I'm not likely to jump right on these until I hear about someone else's experience. Anyone tried them yet?
    Mini-14/M14 Accessories

2. KMO

KMO New Member

Well, obviously I didn't lure anyone in on this as the first guinea pig. I ordered two...will let y'all know how they perform...;)

3. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

let us know how they work out for ya mo:D

4. sjh1022

sjh1022 New Member

I just purchased one at a local gun show this weekend. I find it fits nice and tight, however i have not had a chance to try it at the range. I will keep yall posted.

5. KMO

KMO New Member

I finally got out to try these two Tapco 30-round polymer magazines. We had 4 different Mini-14's out at the range, and tried the two mags in all of them. Each mag was loaded to capacity for nearly two weeks to see if the lips would let loose of any rounds. All 60 rounds stayed in place. Both mags locked snugly and easily into each of the rifles. There were no failures to feed, and the bolt locked back every time after the final round was fired. With nothing left to test, these Tapco magazines passed the test. For $16 (or less), I would say they are a great value. With Thermold still out of the Mini-14 mag business, I would guess Tapco has a great chance to grab some market share. I say, go & get some if you can...;)

6. doctherock

doctherock New Member

well if you dont like them feel free to dispose of them in my direction.

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Glad to hear they worked KMO.

I have not tried the Tapco mags, but the guys at the Tapco booth at SHOT are great. Very helpful and easy to deal with. Lots of people bag on their stuff but everything I've tried has worked fine.

Another good aftermarket 30rd poly mag is the ProMag. I have a bunch. Needed to trim about a 16th of an inch off the back of the feed lips, but after that they run 100% in all of my Minis. Even after being fully loaded for 5 or 6 years they work fine.

8. sjh1022

sjh1022 New Member

I just took mine out for the first time and it performed better than the old 30 round steel mag i got at a local gun shop. I will go pickup a few more as soon as a i can. Its snug, feeds well, locks the bolt back, and i like the fact that they are harder to damage than a steel mag.

9. sjh1022

sjh1022 New Member

I have now taken my mag out for several trips to the range and have found one issue with them...as they reach capacity they tend to bow out at the top. This allows for the rounds to pop out easily. The easy fix is to just load 28 or 29 and not a full 30. I like the idea of a polimer mag but if they cant hold the rounds i may just go with the simple 10 national brand steel mags. I have one of those as well and it works fine, not fancy or anything but it does the job.

10. KMO

KMO New Member

Cheaper than Dirt

Cheaper than Dirt is selling these Mini-14 Tapco 30-Round Mags for just $12.97 each. That is a fantastic buy... MAG-340 - Mag Tapco, Ruger Mini 14, 30 Round Black Lifetime Warranty

(I know that an online reviewer that goes by nutnfancy gave these Tapco mags a poor review. He is the ONLY guy I know of that holds that opinion, and I communicate with a good number of Mini-14 owners. I've tried the Tapcos & found them flawless...get'n some more...;))

11. npbwbass

npbwbass New Member

How about in the heat?

Just asking,

Have you ever had any problems in the heat?

I like Tapco products a lot but in the SKS my Tapco mags have popped out some rounds all by themselves when loaded full laying in the heat on the shooting table here in NM. In normal temperatures they have been flawless. Other than that I think polymer mags are a good idea.

I am just one of those weirdos who test and shoot my arms in some adverse conditions. Mostly because sometimes I have to carry and use them in the same and I don't like equipment surprises there.

I use Lancer polymer mags in my AR and they seem to take the heat well and are fantastic in durability and drop free every time.

12. KMO

KMO New Member

I haven't had rounds popping out of either of the two Tapco mags I purchased previously, but I can also say that they really haven't been exposed to much direct sun or outdoor temperatures. I did have a ProMag polymer magazine that lost rounds when loaded to capacity, but I have not had it occur with Tapco mags. I'm in Arizona, but I'm not typically out shooting in the heat of the day...

13. sjh1022

sjh1022 New Member

I have had the same problem with mine in the head, the hotter it is the more they tend to warp under the pressure of a full load. I can physically see them bow out when it hits 20+ in a 30 round mag. I must say I really wanted these to work b/c of the price and the fact that they have many possible +'s. I find that even when they have been kept inside in the AC they still bow out, just not as bad. I have had many rounds pop out for no reason, as well as it failing to lock into place in the Mini b/c of rounds popping out.
    Also this seems to be getting worse as time goes on, it seems the plastic is getting weaker as it gets stressed.

I think these can be good mags but honestly, I have a national brand steel mag that works just find in my mini and I have found them online for as little as $9.

14. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I have mine fully loaded in the ammo can, will keep you updated as too whether or not it starts popping out rounds while stored.

15. KMO

KMO New Member

Well, the summer temps are 100+ here each day now, and even though my mags are stored indoors, each one of them has let go of the top round in the warmer weather. This is disappointing, but not the end of the world. I found that Tapco offers magazine dust covers for their .223 mags...found a new 10-pack of these on ebay for $11. These should hold the top round in, even in the warmer weather.

16. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I had a huge problem with my Tapco 30 round mag at the range yesterday. Piece of Sh!t. first it let go of rounds in the range bag. Reloaded the 4 rounds into the mag, top one popped right back out. Went to load said crap magazine in the mini and 3 rounds popped out the receiver. Re-loaded mag, closed receiver, installed mag. Couldn't get mag locked in because survey says......friggin rounds un-assed themselves. Glad I didn't pay big bucks for it and I highly recommend if you have stress issues that you don't use Tapco mags.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

17. jem375

jem375 New Member

Just bought 2 more Tapco Mags and they work just fine. No problem with rounds popping out but also am not loading them up to 30 rounds either........will check that out later at the range....

18. doctherock

doctherock New Member

A 30 round mag aint woth a rat piss if you cant load it to capacity. hell if tapco knows it wont hold 30 they should be selling it as a supersized 20. Think I will stick to the facory mags from now on, or at least steel mags.

19. hnealg

hnealg New Member

If you handload...

Just got my Mini as well as the Tapco mags. One thing I did observe is that if you handload the .223 to the max O.A. length (2.26") it will not fit into the Tapco, but will fit the Ruger mags. Factory loads are not max length so they are no problem. I set the bullet seating to a O.A. length of 2.24 (which was about the length of the factory loads I had)--they load and feed just fine.

For the savings, not much of a compromise!