Tannerite!!!!!!! OHHH YEA!

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ccase39, Jan 1, 2014.

1. ccase39

ccase39 Member

So for an early Christmas present I got my brother a HD shotgun. He returned the favor and gave me six cans of tannerite! I had no experience with this stuff but boy is it fun as hell.
    Went out Christmas morning and had a friggin ball. There wasn't near enough stuff to blow up. If you guys ever get a chance try it. It is tons of fun and relatively inexpensive all things considered.

I took a video but cant figure out how to post.

2. string1946

string1946 New Member

I could be wrong but I think you have to upload it to a site like youtube and then post a link.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I would like to play around with some tannerite but a I don't own a firearm that would set it off.

4. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

They have some that is "22" sensitive....

5. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

6. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Be careful with it.

One of the locals got some and shot down by his barn. Lost the barn, and an equipment shed in the fire.

The fire got off his property, and up onto the BLM land between his place and a subdivision. The Forest Service just gave him the bill for the eight air attack tankers, and sixty fire fighters it took keep it out of the subdivision. It was only $740,000.

Luckily it was early in the fire season, and the tankers were still at their home base in Missoula, and could be called in. Plus all the Salmon-Challis fire crews were still at home, and could respond to a fire that was less than ten miles from their home base.

Otherwise, the fire would have blown through the subdivision, and the bill would have been in the millions.

7. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Well you could remedy that with a stop by LGS. A mosin will set it off.

8. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Any rifle other than a .22LR will set it off. And it is definitely worth setting off. Especially at least 5lbs worth at the same time.

9. string1946

string1946 New Member

If you are going to set some off and have neighbors I suggest you either give them a call or call your local LEO office. A couple weeks ago a neighbor maybe quarter mile away set off some and it rattled my windows. I didn't call the law but I did go ride around to make sure everyone was ok.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

10. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Try mixing a few of them into a larger container !!! Keep in mind that I think the most you can "legally mix " is 10 pounds. BABOOM

11. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

I love tannerite! Usually set it off in half pound charges.

[ame]http://youtu.be/ZgDiNlzopmA[/ame]

12. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Most I have mixed was 5 lbs. made a hell of a hole in a beaver dam.

13. Cutlass327

Cutlass327 New Member

Also check with the local LE group, as I have seen a local PD post about it being explosive ordinance and without proper permits could lead to big fines and stuff. I would suggest getting their view on it all.

14. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

How did it start a fire? There's no flame. It's basically air pressure that creates the explosion. Did he put gas with it? That doesn't make sense. I've set off tons of that stuff in grass and the woods and no fire ever.

15. AR10

AR10 New Member

Someone I know sets the stuff off. I personally think the stuff is of questionable merits, I guess depending on how it's used. The way I have seen it used, there ought to be laws restricting the use.

16. forrest225

forrest225 New Member

Well, it's still probably safer than guys mixing up their own explosives to get a little boom. Besides, guns can be dangerous when mishandled too, maybe we ought to have laws restricting their use too? ;)

17. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Kinda like gun control laws? :rolleyes: Yeah that's gonna stop idiots from blowing things up.

Ever heard of oxygen acetalyne bombs? Aluminum chlorine bombs? Shooting at a propane tank that has a road flare next to it? Tannerite's a whole lot safer than any of those 3 options, all of which my friends were using before I showed them tannerite.

18. AR10

AR10 New Member

The stuff is made so a paper target can be reactive, so you see where the lands. Correct?

Today I follow a link in an email, from a guy I purchased a Glock cutaway from. Two, in fact.

The link was a tenerite video, 42 pounds, blowing up a Buick. Biggest piece left was the size of a loaf of bread.

It is stupid stuff like that, that brings down regulation on the rest of us.

19. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

response in blue.

20. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

The stuff was made and is marketed as "exploding rifle targets." It is a target that you shoot to make a loud explosion. I have never even heard of anyone dusting a paper target with it. I don't think it would work very well, if at all

The idea of regulating something like tannerite is dumb. Any moron who wants to blow up a Buick can do a quick google search, make a run to a couple of farm supply or hardware stores, and do it anyway. And people like that are going to do what they want to do whether there's a law or not.

Those types of explosions have to be done in a remote area. For the law to even be enforced at all the people involved would have to be caught. Once the people scream and holler about the explosion, they take pictures or video and leave. Response time to most areas like that from our county sheriff is 30-45 minutes. By then everyone is gone, the smoke is gone, and there is no way to find out exactly where the noise came from. If the deputy gets lucky enough to find the source, with everyone gone it would take a lot of hours of detective work to figure out who was involved.

And if nobody was hurt, who cares? Not the deputy I can promise you.

Those kinds of regulations would be nothing more another piece of needless and unenforcable registration. Just like gun control laws.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014