Tango and The search for the Holy Range.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by cpttango30, Jun 22, 2011.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

So I got fed up with the teenager crap that was going on at my old range. In December of 2010 I hung it up and stopped being a member. It was more than just a range it was a Rifle/ Pistol Range, Shotgun Range, rec area with fishing and camping we had even put in hiking trails. It was 200 acres that I could hunt, fish and shoot on.

It had a decent enough range that we turned into a very nice rifle range facility.

Untitled 1

I have not fired a gun from my safe in over 7 months. The weather is nice and I miss shooting. So I am now in search of the perfect range for my family and I. In this thread I will explorer the many different ranges in my area that I am looking at joining.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Range 1: Arlington Fairfax IWLA

I love what the IWLA stands for and it is in line with my belief system. So I look at many of these. This chapter is one of the premier chapters in the country. You have seen it on TV from shows like Mail Call with R. Lee Ermy.

They offer the following.
    An Olympic Archery range
    A shotgun range with 4 fields (1 trap only and 3 skeet or trap)
    An indoor air rifle range
    A 17-point outdoor rifle and pistol range with target placements at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards
    An indoor archery range
    Three outdoor field archery ranges (two 14-point walking and one sighting-in ranges that also includes a crossbow sighting station)
    A catch-and-release pond for fishing and campgrounds
    Picnic areas with pavilions, a playground, and a playing field

Dues are not bad for all of that at $170 a year. The first time fee is $175 as well so a total of $245 to join is in my eyes not outrageous.

Arlington Fairfax Chapter, Inc., Izaak Walton League of America

The draw back to this range is the commute I would have to drive 50 minutes to 1.5 hours to get there and that would cut into my shooting time. Also the last time I talked to a member they said there was at least a 6 month wait to get in. I would assume that with all the usage the ranges see it is going to be hard to get in there to shoot when the weather is good. Plus I don't think you can hunt the grounds either.

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Range 2: Prince William IWLA Chapter.

Next up is another IWLA facility.

This one is a little closer and easier to get to. Should only take me 35 to 40 minutes to get to. So that is a plus. The Prince William Chapter operates a 12 acre facility located in Brentsville, Virginia. The property includes several archery ranges consisting of a 20 yard indoor target range, an NFAA outdoor field range, and an extensive outdoor 3D range. The property also includes firearms ranges: a 25 yard indoor rifle and pistol range with 5 firing lanes and a 50 yard outdoor rifle & pistol range (which is currently closed to use). The property has frontage on Cedar Run which flows into the Occoquan River with access to Lake Jackson Reservoir. A boat ramp is available for member use.

So the outdoor range is closed the indoor range is limited to 25 yards. If I were into Archery I might consider this one. But with the size of the facility. The cost of membership is $150 for the annual fee and a one-time $100 initiation fee for new members.

So Pay more and get less. Plus as I dug further into the web site. I found that you can't shoot magnum cartridges on the rifle range. You can't shoot 223/ 5.56 ( I have 2 223), you can't shoot 7.62x39mm, can't shoot FMJ in rifle or pistol on the range, no 50 bmg or 338 laupa, or 416 barret. No auto fire.

Just looks to me to be a archery club that has to let a few shooters in. So they really restrict the shooting. I can understand this as the facility is ONLY12 Acres.

http://www.pwiwla.org/index.html

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Range 3: Blue Ridge Arsenal

This is a super nice facility. It offers an indoor and outdoor range and a gun store.

They have membership but you have to pay for your member ship then pay to shoot each time. Not my cup of tea.

Distance is 40 miles and it would again take over an hour to get there.

Walk-in Hourly Membership Range Use:

Individual range time is $20.00 per person/per lane/per hour.
    Each additional person sharing a lane is $10.00 per person/per hour/per lane.
    Children 12 and younger are no charge.

Range Ammunition Restrictions:

We allow only Full Metal Jacketed (FMJ), Total Metal Jacketed (TMJ), Total Metal Coated (TMC),
    "Clean Firing", or "Lead Free" Ammunitions. This ammunition can be from any
    manufacturer, commercial re-manufacturer (re-loader) or customer re-loaded with the above type
    projectiles. We ask that all shooters restrict their use of projectiles that have an exposed lead
    core on either the top or bottom.

Range Equipment Rental:

Eye protection rental - $2.00 eachEar protection rental - $2.00 each
    Gun rental is $12.00 per firearm (ammo and targets not included)

Here we are restricted to FMJ, TMC ammo only. I don't load FMJ for any rifle.

Cost is hard to track and odd.

The biggest plus is it offers a nice classroom and they have classes going on all the time.

Plus you have a gunsmith at the facility if you have problems. Or you have a knowledgeable staff there to help.

This range is geared toward pistol shooters. I reload so losing brass to them so they can reload it is not my cup of tea either.

Welcome to Blue Ridge Arsenal - The Largest Shooting Range in Northern Virginia

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Range 4: Quantico Shooting Club

Next up is the MAC DADDY. Quantico Shooting club is close it would take me just 15 minutes to get to. It offers ranges from 100 to 1000 yards. It has Rifle, pistol, archery and shotgun International Trap and skeet ranges. Dues are $100 a year. Matches They runs tons of matches from NRA High Power to F-Class and 1000 yard benchrest matches. They also offer a monthly long range shooting clinic. What more can someone ask for. It is close, cheap, secure (Protected by the USMC.

Now the drawbacks. Your range times can and does get canceled at any time if the USMC needs that range. No big deal to me they are fighting not me. Politics are rampant at the club. There is a long waiting list to get in 6 months to over a year. As a civilian I am third in line for member ship behind active duty and retires. Again that is OK with me. If the RSO for the day backs out or doesn't show up the ranges are closed. It happens a lot because it is a bunch of retirees that do this.

This may be a second option as well. Plus if you want to use the facility you can just show up and pay $10 to shoot any of the ranges open for the day.

Quantico Shooting Club

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Range 5: Range 82

What can I say. It is close by taking 20 minutes to get there. It is a very new and nice facility.

A 100-yard (16 lane) range is available. Three more ranges of varing distance are planned for the future. Range 82 has covered ranges for 100 yard and 50 yard lines. The 25 yard line (10,000 square feet) is covered to the target line. Various shooting distances are available. Please check with our office for available times and dates.

Range 82 is open for a variety of shooting options and styles. These include:
    Handguns up to .45 caliber
    Rifles up to .30 caliber
    Shotguns
    Black powder weapons up to .54 caliber

Note: Contact us if your firearm is not listed above.

Range 82 is privately owned and operated by professionals with decades of law enforcement and government firearms training experience. Designed to exacting standards to serve amateur shooters, law enforcement professionals and others, Range 82 is fully NRA accredited.

It is nice covered and out in the sticks. They have plans to expand. This is the youngest of the ranges I am looking at. They have been expanding for 8 years now.

The drawbacks are.

Very limited in times you can shoot.
    You have to submit to a criminal background check before you can join.
    Dues are $250 a year. For 25 yard pistol and 100 yard rifle range. No benches at the rifle side that I know of.

The facility is set up more for LEO use than rec shooters.

Range 82

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Range 6: The Range

The Range is a indoor only range and gun store. The owner while a super nice guy has one employee who i swear smokes 3 cigs at the same time. It is in an old rundown building that has tar stains on the walls ceiling and counter. They haven't dusted the place since Truman was in office. It stinks like a but can 5 days after a rain storm. The ventilation system is a direct change air system. Meaning they blow outside air in at the firing line and it vents at the 25 yard line. There is no heat or cooling so when it is 110* outside it is 120* inside.

There is no rifle shooting unless it is chambered in a pistol round. Pistols up to 454 casull are allowed.

No membership is available rates are cheap. $8 per 30 minutes. But they don't like you picking up your brass and get mad if you pick brass out of the brass bucket.

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Range 7: C.F. Phelps WMA range.

FREE FREE FREE...

Now that the excitement is there. It is not open year round. It is only open Sept to March and it is for sight in only. It is closed from March to Sept for some unknown reason. It is nice but small. It has a crazy set of rules. http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/range_rules.pdf

I have only seen it twice and never used it. You sit at a bench and shoot through a big hole.

This is a NO.

C.F. Phelps Wildlife Management Area (WMA)

9. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I like either #4 or #5.

Where is the poll shartfoo??

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Range 8: Fredericksburg-Rappahannock IWLA

It is 123 acres has only 500 members. Offers hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, and shooting.

If i want to rent the pavallion for a FTF meet and greet I can. They have an archery club for kids (BIG +) 50 yard pistol range 100 yard rifle range. Member ship is costly up front with a $250 first time fee and either a $67 single membership or a $92 family membership per year.

Long list of range rules but they are easy to follow and most is explaining what can and can't be used on easy of the 5 ranges. http://www.iwlafred-rapp.org/documents/IWLA Range Rules 2010.pdf

This one is at the top of the list right now because it is 30 minutes away offers everything I want and need. Looks to be a nice facility.

They also have hosted the Fredericksburg Dog mart for 50+ years. This groups is very active in the community where as the one I left was not. They would toss around some money here and there but they would make no effort to go and help do anything.

IWLA - Fredericksburg-Rappahannock Chapter

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

No need for a poll I am just posting about the local ranges I have been looking into for my shooting.

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Range 9: Fredericksburg Rod and Gun Club.

This is very nice facility. Rifle range out to 200 yards. 4 or 5 pistol ranges. They host IPSC and USPSA matches in the spring and summer. They have an archery range and 8 or 10 trap and skeet ranges. As a member you can reserve the facility for a group function that includes range use. All parties of the group must stay together. You have to put a cleaning deposit down for the club house and another one if you wish to use the kitchen. You get them back if you clean it to their specs.

I know a few people that are going to be members there.

The down side it is further away that the Quantico and Fred IWLA. The Dues are $300 a year and a $300 first time fee so to join it will be $600. Not to bad. But one of the more expensive places to shoot in my area. The next most expensive place is $1k a year but it has 100, 200, 600 yard rifle ranges and pistol ranges to 50 yards and like 10 or 15 trap/ skeet ranges. It has an 18 month wait to get it as well.

They have a web site but it is currently down.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

Do any of them serve grilled cheese sandwiches?

14. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Do any of them require time in addition to money? Both nice ranges near me require X hours per year in volunteer work in addition to annual fees.

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

No Yunus they do not. The IWLA have monthly workparties but they are not required that I know of.

16. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Really? I see someone who can't make a decision for himself on a shooting range, without relying on feedback input from the forum members here, to help make the decision for him. :rolleyes:

Or...I see a grilled cheese-eating post whore. :D

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

No where did I ever say which one would you choose.

I was just going over all the facts that I found while searching for a new range to shoot at.

Excuse me for upsetting the forum god.

MODS just delete it....

18. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

You didn't, but the posting of this thread will no doubt draw opinions and advise to assist you in which one you should choose...and that's really what you wanted, no? Since many of us do not reside in Virginia, that would be a decision based on your needs and pocket book.

Forum god? Oh hell no! This was just an expressed observation on my part. Hell, Excuse Me, for posting an observation! :rolleyes:

BTW, you may continue, if you wish. :cool:

19. orangello

orangello New Member

Panty wad removal on aisle 4 please...

:p :D