Talk with a student today

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by ArizonaLawman, Oct 20, 2011.

1. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

So, I just got off the phone with a former student.

She was referred to me for training about a year ago by a deputy after she had been seriously beaten by a former boyfriend. She was brutalized by this mook...arm broken, jaw broken, cracked and fractured ribs, sexually assaulted.

The boyfriend booked back over the border to Mexico and as yet, has not been picked up. Now, it would seem, he is back. He called her last night, and told her "I love you, and want you back". Funny how "love" can hurt right???? Staffing being what it is...local PD can't "form a task force" to find the guy. That's just reality. She said an officer came by, took a report, and told her they'd "Do what we can."

She asked me if I could make some time to give her a refresher. Obviously, I told her yes. I told her, it would be "no charge"...the girl is still in college, and I didn't charge her the $450 for the two-day course I ran her through the first time. I told her it was more important to spend the money on a quality pistol and ammo. (I do this from time to time in special cases).

So, she's coming up this afternoon and I am going to run her through some drills with her Glock 26 (an old BUG that I sold her for $1 with the promise that when she graduates and buys another gun, she will sell it back to me for the same $1). She showed up the first time with a used Raven .25 that some douchetard (Can we say douchetard on here?) at a pawn shop sold her for $150.

When I trained her the first time, she had never held, let alone fired a handgun. I let her shoot the Glock 26 with an Advantage Arms .22 conversion to get familiar with the basics. She was pretty good...she kept all ten rounds inside the "9" ring at 5-10 yards. After the first hour she was doing it at 15 - 20 yards. When I put the 9mm top end back on, she was up to speed in no time.

I won't go over the whole course, save to say, by the end of day two, she was shooting and moving, getting to cover, doing nice mag swaps, and generally displaying a good set of skills. I even went to her small rented home and "wargamed" some house clearing and RED GUN force on force with her.

My point is....get a .22 conversion for a training gun to start someone off...they are worth their weight in gold.

Now, I may go looking for this turd myself.....

2. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

My cousin and daughter have been beaten by men. My cousin is a cancer nurse now in Hawaii. The man she was married to would beat her and she would allow it. Finally she commenced to take a beating from him when she took that bat away from him and put him in the hospitol. While he was in the hospitol, which was about 60 days, to heal from his beating, she divorced him. She got into a little trouble over it but in the end moved to Hawaii. Best move she ever made as she finished her nursing school. That was back in the 1970's and they were in Alaska.

My daughter keeps getting hooked up with the same kind of guy and has taken her fair share of beatings. She's getting another divorce now. Right now she lives with me and I won't allow any guys to visit here. However, she does see a guy away from here, from time to time, and it bothers me even though he seems O.K.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

3. fmj

fmj Active Member

What be a "mook"??

Got NO sympathy or respect for a guy that beats on a woman!!(uless of course said woman starts it...you wanna hit like a man, you gonna get beat like a man is my thought process)

I have often thought about getting a .22 conversion kit for the 1911...just to work on my skills and save a BUNCH of coin.

4. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Az, my respect just went up for you a few more notches. No wonder the 19 YO hotties are throwing themselves in your path. You're a knight in shining armor.
    You should change your name to Saint Arizona.
    You set a good example, sir. Well done!!!

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

mook (mk) KEY

NOUN:
    Slang
    An insignificant or contemptible person

Several years back, used to train about a dozen nurses a year in defensive shooting. The number of compact, reliable autos of a social caliber was a bit smaller then- we would stick with double action revolvers (start with .38 Short Colt, move up to .38 Sp wadcutter, then 125 JHP).

Some were ladies that had problems- some had seen one too many cases come thru the ER.

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

That jerks my chain when a man hits a woman or treats them like personal property

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  7. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

was looking at that conversion for my g-22 and can only one price of 294.00 any idea how much they cost. and i also noticed that because i have a gen 4 one site said that the conversion i need is a little differnt from the others.

8. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

i have absoulty no respect for anyone who hits a girl. id run before id even think about hitting a girl..

a good friend of mine--,,, his dad got robbed by a girl. and the girl shot and killed him. very sad happened a long time ago, when he was little.

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

A mook is a jackhole. Taking advantage of a woman like that.

I think the Glock idea is great. They absorb a lot of vibration and recoil,

and it may be a great first gun for her.

10. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

You're a gentleman and a scholar sir. I have no investigative experience but if you need help, let me know.

11. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

I can't even call a male who hits a woman or a child a "man". He's not worthy of the name.

So...she showed up yesterday afternoon with her Glock, pair of spares, and a Ruger 22/45 she picked up for inexpensive practice. She told me she shoots once a week and shoots 100 rounds through her Ruger, and another 50-100 rounds through the Glock depending on her budget. She told me she carries her Glock every day, everywhere she goes...not in her purse...but ON HER BODY (lesson here for the ladies). She even added +2 floorplates to all three of her magazines, saying it was cheaper to add capacity to those than to buy another Glock.

She shot very well. She HAS been practicing, which does me proud because a LOT of students don't practice what they've learned. She clearly has practiced and it showed. She was doing fast doubles at 7 yards to POA less than an inch apart in about 1.5 seconds...FROM CONCEALMENT. Not blazing speed...but damned sure fast. I set a few of her mags up with snap caps in the line-up and she went to IMMEDIATE clearance drills...really running the gun. No hesitation, no fumbled reloads, just TAP RACK BANG on automatic.

It was Thursday, my steel shooting night, so my wife and I invited her along to shoot the match. My wife offered her the loan of a Glock 19....but she turned it down, preferring to shoot with her G26, and she did AWESOME! She shot in NOVICE, but could have easily competed in C Class. I think she has the competition bug.

I am not worried about her gun skills....she has the ability and the attitude, and the tools to defend herself now. She is one girl who WON'T be a victim again. She told me her new boyfriend is a "nice guy"...he is a GEEK SQUAD type, not a pretty boy or thug...so we can pretty well figure she won't go for a "person of questionable character" again.

She also told me she bought a used Remmy 870 in 20 gauge and wants me to teach her shotgunning too. I think I may have created a monster...LOL.

She tried to pay me for my time yesterday...I told her..."Gimme a buck."

BY THE WAY....She also has a bumper sticker on her Honda Civic that reads: OBAMA SUCKS! I always said a conservative is a liberal who got robbed yesterday.

12. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

BTW...she also proudly showed me her CCW and her NRA card.

I may have to hire her as our nanny!

13. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Great to hear, Az. Hopefully she's been well trained on the knee to the privates as an initial clearing method if needed.
    Sounds like you've created a conservative, and a very contributing young lady to the world of self defense.
    Good on you!! Keep us informed if you would.

14. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Congratulations to your Padawan :) (and her master too)

15. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

I don't know... my distribution center fired around 50 of 200 employees for stealing... A lot. :p

Again, you're an awesome man sir, going above and beyond.

16. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

From what I gather...her new sig-other works at Best Buy as a Geek Squad tech guy while he is going to UofA...so...I am going on the assumption that he's a pretty good kid. Besides which...now I have a tech geek connect if I need one.

As far as above and beyond...I don't know about that...I'd hope someone would stand up for my daughter if I couldn't. Besides...I LOVE to teach, and every one we can get into "our side" is a win for all gun people.

17. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

You went above and beyond. I've seen people say 'I'll work out a payment plan'. That's not going above and beyond. That's giving minimal aid.
    You rented her a firearm, long term, for $1.00, as well as the training both times, which you stated you charge $425.00 for. That means, you pretty much tossed $1,400 (rounded) out the door because it wasn't as important to you as seeing that the young lady was safe.
    So shaddup and accept the fact you're a good fellow.

18. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Yes but what folks like you and many of the others here see as "normal" the rest of the world would balk at. Teaching a girl to shoot? With the intention of shooting someone?!?! Preposterous!

19. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

I have the perfect counter to that argument...because I have been accused of "Teaching people to kill people and get away with it."

I reply: "No ma'am/sir...I am teaching people to protect themselves and their children and survive in the face of a deadly attack. Surely you aren't against innocent people and children surviving a deadly attack are you?".

That one pretty well shuts them down.

I have also been accused of teaching people to "lie to cops to get away with killing someone".

To that I say: "No ma'am/sir...I simply teach people how to properly articulate why they did what they did, and to effectively communicate the facts to law enforcement in a manner that will aid officers in determining the flow of events leading up to the use of force, and explaining it's immediate neccessity".

20. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Awesome, In a year or so, I shall attempt to take your class.