Talk to me, 300 BLACKOUT AR shooters

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Seargent_York, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

I got into the 300 ACC round last summer. The reasoning was simple, I wanted an AR platform firing a harder-hitting round (than 5.56) from a short barrel/pistol. My discussion is for semi-auto AR guys who have either experience or decent knowledge about this round. If you don't like this round, good for ya, please move we don't need to hear from you

I am not YET a re-loader, but this round will likely turn me into one. It's expensive ($0.60/round and up) AND the ammo manufacturing community is still figuring out how to configure this round.

One of the great benefits of 300 ACC is it's versatility. You can shoot sub-sonic suppressed (not my thing) or supersonic (my thing). Because it is a 30 caliber round, there are MANY bullets to choose from and that's where I think the problem starts: this is a 7.62 x 35 round. But when one inserts a 147 grain projectile on a 35mm case length, then shoots it out of a short barrel, you do not end up with the ultimate in bullet stability. That's my experience

For purposes of HD/SD and hunting, I have found this hard to beat from Barnes: ($34/20. Certainly not for target practice)

[​IMG]

2300+ fps (2100 fps from 8.5" barrel) 4-petal expansion up to .667 diameter. Very accurate and very terminal.

I think 110 grains - 125 is probably the 'wheel house' for supersonic commercial ammo. Remington recently introduced a 'target' round in 125 grains. I have been shooting a lot of Fionchi 147 grain and have seen 'key holes' at 200 yards, which is not acceptable. So sticking with the lighter stuff such as Sig Sauer ($25/20) or the Remington ($25/20).

Still to try: Amscor 300 acc supersonic, I've seen it for $12.50/20

I've had zero issues with cycling from any of the rounds I have tried.

Let's hear your experiences, looking for commercial options out there and also interested in hearing from re-loaders

2. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

I'm very interested in this. Unfortunately my upper hasn't showed yet. I'm going to start with some 125 grain Nosler ballistic tips and Hog Hammer 130's tipped with Barnes TSX...

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The original round was designed for a 180 grain bullet at 950-1000 FPS and a suppressor

If I ever get a .300, and I probably will someday, I'll get a suppressor and try to duplicate the original JSOC loads.

According to the designers, it's quiet enough that you can actually hear the action cycle.:)

4. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

yep a lot of folks want to go the suppressed rout. Not me. I'm interested in something that packs 7.62 punch from the AR sbr / pistol platform

Obviously it is a matter of taste. I don't get the attraction to silenced rounds, I'm sure if I was an operator on a covert mission, it might come in handy. I view it as a $200 stamp plus $600+ silencer for what would amount to a gimmick (to me).

Plus, I already have a gun that shoots a 180 grain round at 950 fps - my 1911 :p

5. JCS53

6. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

$1050?

wow. That's more than my pistol cost to build and it's a darn good one

7. JCS53

I have an M&P 15 I am putting a full RRA Coyote carbine upper on with the full length TRO on it. I really believe in dropping the cash once.

8. msup752

msup752 New Member

I built an 8" SBR and have a Omega suppressor. I reload 147g for range plinking and either 125 SST or the Barnes at 115g. I usually use H110 powder. I also buy factory loaded Barnes for self defense loads.
    It is great you don't want to buy a suppressor! If you did, the first time you used it, the resulting grin would require costly cosmetic surgery to remove and you would be buying more and more of them! Stay away!
    A good suppressor is a long term investment and cuts down on supersonic noise significantly.
    I have been building, shooting, and loading the 300 BO for years now. It is a great round.
    Oh, I can regularly hit a 12" gong at 200 yards with iron sights so they are plenty accurate.

9. rodl

rodl New Member

I'm new the blackout as well-I'm waiting for my barrel to come in to finish my upper and I also have an osprey on the way too. What bullets do you all use in your subsonic hand loads? I'm working up some 208 gr amax with 1680 powder-but I'm wondering what others use.

10. mseric

mseric New Member

Have you tested this load over a chrony?

My 16 inch 1-7.5 twist loaded with 19.8gr 296 will push this bullet just over 2400fps.

If Barnes factory runs at 2300fps out of a 16 inch barrel, dropping down to 8.5 inches should net about 2000fps.

Do you have some actual chrony data to share?

What is the twist if your BO.

I was testing 150gr Lee Lead bullets with mediocre accuracy. I was told that with a 1-7.5 twist I needed to slow the 150gr bullets down to less than 1800fps to eliminate flyers.

This is what I am getting with 150gr Lee lead at 100 yards at about 1800fps.

[​IMG]

This is what I am getting with the 110gr Barnes at 100 yards 2400fps.

[​IMG]

So, I'm done testing the Barnes as that will do just fine for MN WhiteTail inside 150 yards.

As for the lead bullets, I have some work to do, but so far it;s far from terrible.

11. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

Not to throw this topic onto a rabbit trail but wouldn't .45 subsonic out of a silenced SBR make more sense than .30cal? I'm not going to lookup a ballistic chart but I'm guessing out of a 8"+/- barrel they are both going similar subsonic velocities, I'm giving 230gr a serious advantage over anything in the mid 100gr range. I see the only advantage being platform as .45 isn't a popular SBR.

12. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

By going the .45 route, you eliminate the option of going with the flatter shooting 2400 fps loads.

13. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

I would say .45 wins due to cross sectional density, all other things being equal

advantages I see to 300 ACC suppressed subsonic (versus a 45 acp pistol) are higher magazine capacity and the ability to go supersonic with the same firearm

14. primer1

He mentioned .45 sbr. A JR carbine uses glock mags, and with a shortened threaded barrel topped with a can would be pure awesomeness. :)

15. rodl

rodl New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm trying to learn about the terminal performance of bullets. Wouldn't a 220 grain 30 cal subsonic rifle bullet have better penetration than a corresponding .45 cal bullet? I thought with "handgun velocities" penetration was the most important.

16. primer1

I would think the 30 would penetrate deeper, but a .45 would leave a bigger wound opening, causing more blood loss at the wound. It depends on what you are doing with the bullet.

17. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

300BLK subsonic rounds are usually 220gr.

Only the supersonic rounds are 100-125gr.

18. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

Looks like a sweet suppressor man! You won't disappointed.

I have a Noveske 8.5" 300blk with an AAC SDN-6 suppressor. With 220gr subsonics it sounds like a air pellet gun.

Even unsuppressed, supersonic 300blk seems to me to be quieter and shoot smoother than the 5.56.

19. mjtx88

mjtx88 New Member

[​IMG]
    Finally finished mine. Had to troubleshoot a few things, but now it's a great shooter.

20. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Active Member

One of my 300 BO rifles is a H&R Handirifle with wwhich i took many hogs in Texas, the largest was a 350# boar who took one 125 gr TNT bullet in front of 17 gr W296....one shot he went 60 yards and was dead as a door nail. I really like the cartridge and built two AR's and a 12.5" AR pistol around it for strictly supersonic hog hunting and plinking. Although i load from 110 gr to 168 my favorites are in the 125 gr category.