Talk me into or out of a .40S&W

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by aandabooks, Feb 12, 2014.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Don't have one. Have never really been interested in owning one. I have several 9mms and a couple .45s. I reload for both and figured I don't need to bridge the middle. I've got a couple buddies who have them and want me to get started reloading the round so they can get ammo.

I could justify a .40 S&W pistol by using it to shoot major in USPSA Limited. I shoot a XDM9 5.25" for Production. That is what I would be looking for if I go ahead with this idea.

So talk me into or out of this idea. I really don't know which way I could go with this.

2. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

I got one just to have most major handgun calibers but I almost never shoot it. Not that it's a bad round but just like the 9, I feel like if I can shoot a .45 fast and accurately, there is no need for me to "downgrade" to a lower caliber. I don't mean to start a caliber war, just my personal opinion.

3. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I'm not a .40 guy, but there is .40 ammo in every store I stop in. That's worth something. Plus I shot a guy's .40 Glock at the range once, and it was a good feeling gun even though the grip was too big for me. IF I needed a new semi with good knockdown power a .40 would definitely be on my list.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

4. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

1. Variety is the spice of life...try it, you'll like it
    2. As CardiacColt stated...ammo is readily available.
    3. Not every gun I own is a self-defense gun...if you are the same, you definitely should give one a try.
    4. Good compromise with many ammo/load options
    5. Numerous purpose built .40's on the market
    6. Most importantly...own one because you can!

5. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

I have a Hi-Power in .40, really happy with it. I don't own a 9 simply because if I'm in the mood for plinking, I'll use the .22. Much cheaper to shoot all day.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Everything below is personal opinion. I did own a G23 for a very short time. Mostly it was Glocks dont fit me rather than the caliber.
    40 in a service size pistol is not bad but it has a lot of snap in a light weight compact pistol. The snap slows down target acquisition on follow up shots. I would rather shoot a 21 oz 45 than a 21 oz 40. Ballistics are almost identical if the same weight bullet is used but pressures are not. The 45 is about 20,000 psi and the 40 is about 33,000 psi. The 45 will handle heavier bullets while the 40 gives you a little more magazine capacity. I have 9mm and 45 acp but no 40. It is true that you could find 40 S&W during the ammo shortage but why? Is it just not that popular? Tell your friends to buy you a 40 along with dies if they want you to reload for them. Personally I dont reload for anybody except close family and I am very careful.

7. ams556

ams556 New Member

I like my M&P 40, you can drop a 9mm or 357sig barrel into it and have 3 guns in one. 9mm always sells out before 40. 40 punches a bigger hole than 9 and also allows for a descent mag capacity.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have owned something in 40 caliber for over twenty years now. i like the 40 and will probably always own some pistol in that caliber. i have always thought it to be a good compromise caliber between the 45 and the 9mm with good capacity and decent power.

my suggestion is to try one out and see for yourself if you like it or not. some people like the 40 and some don't care for it.

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Why not just go for the 10mm...................

10. Mule659

Mule659 New Member

I carry a .40 at work because it's issued. I've sold every personal .40 I've owned. The way I see it is if I want more than a 9mm +p I'll just use one of my .45's

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

11. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

No interest in the 40 myself, but I know a few officers locally who carry it.

12. therukh

therukh New Member

Into or Out of?

Well, I would never, ever get a caliber so your buddies can get ammo from you. That said, if you want to shoot major in USPSA, then, by all means, get one. I've had two and shot them a lot but I got rid of them because I liked my 9's better. I acquired them all for a purpose (.40 S&W was the minimum caliber for a league I was shooting) so when the purpose was over, I didn't need them and traded them or sold them to get something else I needed. Both of mine were Glocks (22 & 27) and shot well enough so I can't say anything bad about them or the .40 S&W caliber except they were more expensive to reload than the 9's. So, my point is, if you want one, get it, otherwise, let your friends get their own ammo, or better yet, let them start reloading and you get some ammo from them!

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

There is nothing wrong with a 40 cal. You already have a 9 mm and 45 cal pistols. Buying a gun is only part of the investment. Usually a competitive shooter ends up spending as much on ammo as they do the gun itself. Are you prepared to feed another caliber? How much ammo can you load? I am not seeing the sales on components that we used to see.

I load shot shells. I am not to keen on loading ammo for others unless it is someone I could count on them to load ammo for me.

14. hq357

hq357 New Member

If I could only have one gun it would be a 40 caliber glock. Glock 23 to be specific . The glock 23 is cabaple of accepting a drop in conversion barrel available in 9mm, 357 sig, and another company makes a drop in conversion 22lr kit. the glock 23 will accept the 9mm magazines
    Without any modifications and is pretty reliable with the 9mm barrel. I'm not sure if other guns like the xd or m&p have that option and I'm not sure if they make factory 30 round mags either it would be nice if they could tho I like the xd. :)

15. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

40sw is a good defense round. It's affordable and common, and is likely to perform about as well most other 9mm+ semiautos in a defense senario. In competition, I would prefer 45acp to 40sw. For defense, I also prefer 45acp. That's not because 40sw is too weak (a foolish internet myth IMO), but because I'll be on target with follow-up shots quicker with 9mm/45acp than with 357sig/40sw/10mm. These are all good and useful calibers, you just have to get a grip on how they'll perform in your hands.

I have a 357sig and a couple 40sw pistols. But I have more pistols in 9mm and 45acp. The latter two are what I tend to carry. 357sig is my woods round. Handles about like 40sw (snappy, but good weight:velocity:capacity ratio).

I believe one shot in an identical location will be 90% as effective as the next when comparing 9mm vs 40sw vs 45acp. But I also know I can get back on target quicker with 9mm and 45acp. In short, that's why generally choose them.

16. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Most of the reasons for and against have been covered. Now for the reloading for friends part: Unless they are willing to pay you adequately for your time and investment, it's called FREELOADING! If you are going to sell ammo to them, then you'd better get an insurance policy to CYA.

Please do not take this personally, but your reason for buying a new caliber platform may be the most unwise I have ever heard.

Use your head on this one, not your heart. If your friends can afford to target shoot regularly, they can afford to buy commercially manufactured ammo.

17. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

You all make good points and I could probably justify just buying a .40 to have one but if it is just to reload another caliber then that is not good enough. Maybe if i shoot one and live it, it will be another story. The start up for another caliber is about $100 so I would need to figure that in also.

18. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I have had two .40's and sold both of them. Nothing wrong with it at all, I just didn't shoot them that much. And for defense, I carry a 9 and have the 45 next to my bed.

I'll probably get another one. When I do, I think I'll go with something heavier. They can be somewhat snappy. I can tell you this, I have no desire for a 40 in anything compact.

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

I can only speak to the M&P. Yes a .357 Sig or 9mm barrel will work in a 40 S&W.

Factory 30 round mags for the M&P? I don't know about factory but there are aftermarket ones out there.

It was time for a new signature. This is what you get.

20. Kraj

Kraj New Member

40 rules limited, if you play to win you have to shoot major

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Firearms Talk mobile app