Firearms Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Rifle bullets are usually smaller diameter but the cartridge is a lot longer therefore a lot more powder can fit in them. Of course this makes the high velocities that Robo was talking about. Just check out any of the ammo makers web sites and you'll see what I mean.

Shooting pistol cartridges through rifles goes way back to the old west when it was good to have a side arm and rifle using the same ammo. It's a lot of fun shooting these rifles as the recoil is usually mild and they are accurate.

I've never shot a CX4 but have the AR. The AR uses a .223 bullet but again it's a true rifle cartridge and so packs more powder. It's more affective at long range and there's quite a debate because of it's small diameter but it's a pretty good killer. Not nearly as good as the .308 was but that's another debate for another thread! :D

·
Registered
694 Posts
I see what you guys mean. thanks for the replies.

does that mean a .45 cx4 and my .45 p345 have the same have the same performance regarding distance and accuracy (minus the fact of the buttstock and sights of the carbine).
The carbine will have more range due to the longer barrel. It gives the bullet a little more velocity. This is true when comparing rifles to pistols or rifles and carbines up to a point. I've seen tests where a long barrel was cut off in inch increments. A very long barrel will actually slow a bullet due to friction. For every cartridge there's an ideal barrel length as far as velocity goes that will give max. velocity. Longer and the bullet slows due to friction, shorter and the powder hasn't burned completely before the bullet leaves the barrel so velocity drops. This is usually slight but it's there. Ballistics are fascinating!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts