talk at me bout henry lever rifles

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by hawkguy, Aug 25, 2013.

1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

thinking a bit on a 357 henry lever big boy....love levers...just seeking some general input...quality, accuracy, company rep....etc....input from owners really appreciated.

any input positive or negative appreciated....

Attached Files:

2. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I am a lever gun guy as well. I have a Golden Boy in 22 mag and love it. My dad gave it to me because he said he couldn't hit with it. I put up a target and sure enough you couldn't hit with it but after some sight adjustment it is the go to gun for 4 legged critters. A very nice shooting gun. I want one in 44 mag now.

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The Henry .22 lever is da bomb. Shoots 22s,22, and 22LR.

Fun, accurate, very stylish.

If you get a larger caliber, and you intend to

put a scope on it, you want to be sure the

lever gun has a side ejection port.

Marlin and a few others do make them.

4. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

They are great guns. I don't think there is a Henry that I wouldn't like to own. I did just have a Varminter .17 hmr go through my hands but I'm not completely in love with the round yet.

5. hawkguy

so, the henry's are top ejectors? i doubt i'd scope it....irons on a 357 should do the job...

damn they are pretty....how's henry CS?

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have one with a custom paint job. They are the best lever, in my opinion.

Here it is the day I got it......

[​IMG]

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I have heard they only work with 357's and will not feed 38 specials. I would consider Rossi or Marlin so you could shoot both 357 and 38 spl's.

8. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

If that is true it would be a deal breaker for me. I load thousands of .38 but .357 is a pain to get the brass for and I hoard those rounds. The problem with the Rossi is that I haven't seen one with wood nearly as good as the average Henry rifle.

9. hawkguy

that would be very negative in my mind as well....need the 38 for the cheap plinking....i'd expect to shoot 70% 38's like i have done in my other 357's....:confused:

i will have to research this....if you could provide me with any link of evidence, it would be appreciated.....

10. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

The 22 is a blast to shoot, my dad has one. I'm strongly considering a 44 mag now.

11. hawkguy

yup...in general, the rossi hasn't impressed me.....i had a ranch hand....and i think the mare's leg is SOO damn cool....it was a fun gun to shoot and reliable enough...but the overall quality was so cheapish....i just knew it really wasn't a keep er forever kinda gun....

12. Cheeseman

Cheeseman New Member

I'd like one in .41 Mag

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

I've never heard that about them.

This guys shooting .38 Specials:
    [ame]http://youtu.be/B4EDPGoCLRg[/ame]

14. hawkguy

maybe its the ammo used by those who reported this. i had a ranch hand in 357....clerk told me to not use round lead nose, semi jacketed or soft points....said to go with jacketed ammo to help with the feed ramp....

i took his advice, never had any problems with 357 or 38.

15. scottmac

scottmac New Member

I have a .357 Big Boy.

I've put hundreds of various types of .38 through it with no issues.

16. scottmac

scottmac New Member

I love it, it's one of my favorite pieces,

17. davva360

davva360 New Member

All I can tell you is I want a lever action. Have not decided what brand or caliber yet but I want one lol

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

henry lever guns are HEAVY really heavy not something i would want to carry as a trail gun.

henry lever guns have no relation at all to the henry rifles of eons past. the design is different. its a different company much the way today's springfield armory and armalite have nothing to do wit the original entities of such names.

the actions are very smooth they are good shooter with the specific ammo designed for them. in that regard they are ammo sensitive which is a problem across many lever gun designs mot just the henry. this is easily overcome with handloads.

while the actions are very smooth they are prolly some of the slowest to operate lever gun designs out there. if your looking to run 38's and 357's i would look at the uberti 1873 in that chambering. the uberti 1873 is the levergun version of the ar15 with tons and tons of aftermarket support. simple carrier swap you can go from shooting full bore 357 to 38's and some carrier designs will work with both to a certain extent.

the henry is a VERY nice rifle im not trying to say anything to the opposite just putting some of the things to consider about them out there that some folks care about and are often overlooked when talking about them.

19. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

My Henry 22 shoots short, long, and long rifle without issue and its extremely accurate. Its well made and the action is smooth as silk. The Big Boy does weigh in at 8+ pounds so if that is too much for you I would recommend a cane and rocking chair.

20. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

How is the recoil on these? I cant decide whether I'd like a .45 Colt to go with my Vaquero, a 38/.357 for cheaper shooting or 44 mag for the power and relative similarity to the 44-40.

I dont imagine that any pistol cartridge will recoil much in a rifle, but I'd like to know what they compare to, I like recoil on my fun guns.

P.S. I don't reload. :eek: