Taking off a mossberg 500 front sight

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by opsshadowninja, May 10, 2013.

1. opsshadowninja

opsshadowninja New Member

Feel so dumb for even doing this... I tried taking off the original factory bead on my moss500 only to completely shred the walls of the little bolt. I tried everything I could think of. Nw I'm going to have to drill out the old bead and replace it. It's too late for my gun but for future reference, how do I correctly remove the front sight? Is there a special tool or technique? Thanks.

2. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Was it your intention to install another sight?

3. opsshadowninja

No. The heat shield over the barrel could not be removed with the sight installed. I was just going to temporarily remove it and replace it when I had removed the shield.

4. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

You use a little wrench. Walls of what little bolt!? Picture please...

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Tried to turn it with some pliers and rounded it off, didn't you?

Attached Files:

6. opsshadowninja

Yes I did. Lol and then it got all buggered up.

7. SoloScuba

SoloScuba New Member

Broke off the top of the bead when taking the heat sheid off of mine, now I'm looking for a small wrench to remove it the rest of the way and replace it with a new one. That brass is soft.

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Bead sights are often installed with Loctite. After they are screwed in they are smoothed off from inside the barrel, often causing a small lip of metal that has to be overcome during removal. Sights are often soft metal(brass or aluminum). All these things often result in them being ruined during removal(even by professionals).