Taffin says .357 Raging Hunter sets standard

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by crossfire, Oct 14, 2019.

1. crossfire

crossfire Member

Bobbers, bluez and Mercator like this.
  2. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

It is just too damn ugly to put in the safe with my other revolvers. Besides that, I am not a good enough shot to be able to take advantage of the most accurate revolver ever.

3. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I have 2 357's A ruger GP 100 and a Taurus tracker. Both are plenty accurate for me.

bluez likes this.
  4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Never been a fan of Taffin.
    (Or most other gun-rag writers for that matter)

5. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Yeah this is old school. Who knew that a ported 8 inch barrel all-steel revolver will shoot handloads from a sandbag to the point of aim.
    And notice how these old hang gunners like to forget to mention they were shooting from the bench?

EclecticShooter, locutus and kfox75 like this.
  6. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I dont think I've ever seen a gun magazine bad talk anything they've tested.

7. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I zero my guns from the bench. But what i can do standing is what counts. When i need to hit game or defend myself im not going to have time to set up on a bench.

EclecticShooter, RKB, JTJ and 2 others like this.
  8. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

John Taffin is 80 years old. He's gotta be using a bench, sandbags, both arms in casts. Otherwise he probably shakes like a chihuahua crappin' peach seeds!

9. Mercator

Of course. The article is about a 56 oz hunting revolver so he probably shot from sandbags if not the lead sled. The editor should have told him to give full disclosure as to how far, how fast, and how positioned.

PaBushMan likes this.
  10. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Of course not. after all, the company is giving it to them, gratis. Just like all the weapons they test. Some are even paying them to test it.

Same thing with many Youtube review channels, which is why I tend to put more stock in Nutnfancy than other channels. If it'sin the home armory, and usually, in the desert being tested, it is something they bought, or something on loan from Gunny's in Ogden. Even the ammo used, more often than not, is bought, not provided by a sponsor, thanks to Patreon.

Channels like IV8888, and no, I am not bashing them, as it is a business, either get the weapon for free to test it out, or charge the company money, to test it. IV8888, about $4,000. Remember that they have ranges set up, equipment, crew to pay, things like that for every video. But my point is this.

If a weapon, gun,. knife, camping equipment, ect., is crap, nutn will say so, and show the failures on video. Eric and Chad will stop the review, have the company take the failing weapon back, and get a new one sent to Moss, to continue the review, which they have mentioned in a few of the reviews.

How many magazines and channels do this, and never mention it? That's why it's best to ask people who own the weapon you are after, than a salesman, trust an online review, or go by what the magazine says. Someone testing the revolver in SoCal, in late spring, can't tell you how well it works in a tree stand, in mid December, in the middle of a snow storm.

But your buddy in PA hill country can, same with the person that owns one, and hunts with it, in WV coal country.

11. locutus

Just my humble opinion, but I believe a "TEST" of a gun would involve at LEAST 10 samples, bought in ten different places, and shooting a MINIMUM of 1,000 rounds of various ammo through each weapon.

Gun-rag writers, bless their heart, do not have the logistics for a meaningful test even if their heart was in the right place.

I prefer test results from the FBI, large metro LEAs, the military etc, whenever available.

Even then, the manufacturers reputation carries more weight with me than random tests.

12. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

"Gun Tests" journal does almost what locutus posted above. They take no advertising so they have no assumed obligations to anyone except their subscribers. They have a trusted team of testers who write how they feel concerning the equipment/firearms they test. Gun Tests buys the firearms over the counter, same as you and I do. How do I know that?
    They tested a Browning A Bolt varmint rifle in .22-250 caliber several years ago. It came in 3rd of the three .22-250 rifles tested which included a Remington Model 700 varmint in .22-250 and a Ruger 77 heavy barrel varmint, also in .22-250 caliber
    I was sent the Browning A Bolt to see what I could do to make that A Bolt shoot better. I did that and wrote an article for American Gunsmith as to what I did. I then asked what they wanted me to do with that rifle. I was told how much they had in it and what they expected to get for it. I sold that rifle, made a tidy profit and then was also paid for the article I wrote for American Gunsmith journal. So, there are some folks out there who look out for consumers and are not just a bunch of "whores" like some of the "slick-page" periodicals are.

13. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have to agree with this. I would love to see the results of testing a minimum of 100 of X weapon, for a few thousand rounds each, before considering what I would purchase. i also don't run out and buy the hot new item, or latest and greatest, either, in anything I buy. Doing so usually means the bugs are worked out long before I get my hands on one.

A prime example of this is the Keltec PF9, where early models had issues with the plastic mag release, which was changed to metal in 2015. I had time handling and shooting a few of the older ones, and each owner had the same complaint, the plastic mag release has some issues, including breakage. Once the metal one came out, I rented one at a local range, to try it, and discovered a few other things I would have changed, then looked for a used one with the mods I would do. When i found one, I met the owner at a local range and FFL, brought a mix of ammo, and payed for a range session for both of us, to test the trade items out.

It was a cross of old articles, experience, my own testing, and learning from the experience of others, what to look for, as well as Keltec's service, that made me choose to buy one. Just as it was Glock's reputation, having shot a few of them, and a good deal on one, that made my wife decide to buy my G19, for my anniversary gift. What made her decide to buy it was also the fact that it could be sent in, and rebuilt, free of charge. Same reason we own M500s\590s and 870s.

EclecticShooter likes this.
  14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You better be shooting the revolvers double action too. A guy had a run in with a bear. He stopped the bear but just barely. After the shooting was over he realized he had cocked the hammer on every shot because that is how he trained. He now trains double action.

15. Bobbers

Bobbers Member

16. Dakota1

Dakota1 Well-Known Member

No publication will badmouth a product they take ad money for. Taurus is junk.

sheepdawg and SRK97 like this.
  17. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

And just how did you come to this conclusion?
    I will agree that Taurus semi-auto handguns have their problems,but their revolvers are pretty damn good guns.

I've owned and shot just about every brand and model of 44 Magnum ever made,and the only one that still resides in my safe is my Taurus Raging Bull. It's by far the best shooting 44 Magnum that I've ever owned.
    I own a couple Taurus Tracker models in 22lr and 357 Magnum also,the only issue that I have ever had was a cylinder timing problem with the 22,and it was easily fixed by a local pistol smith.

Taurus customer service does SUCK,but their revolvers don't!

SGWGunsmith likes this.
  18. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

I would never say a company as successful as Taurus “sucks” but personally I wouldn’t own one. Neat looking gun though.

Rifling82 and sheepdawg like this.
  19. Mercator

It’s an okay read imho maybe even fun , just don’t put your money on what’s printed there.

Leroy Thompson is another one who never met a gun he didn’t like. Funny hair too. And boy does he like to pose for assault pictures.

20. locutus

When half a dozen large metro LEAs use a gun for over a year and have no major issues, I consider it "tested.":D

bluez, kfox75 and SGWGunsmith like this.